MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need help with SOLAR.... drummerboy First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 08-11-2010 12:28 AM
SOLAR Help! lauracs First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 06-30-2010 03:25 AM
Solar Pay919 Academics 830 08-23-2009 02:24 AM
Solar stefan_toron First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 13 07-16-2009 10:53 PM
Can everyone get on SOLAR, right now? crys.eg Academics 8 07-16-2009 10:01 AM

ugh. SOLAR. *stab*

Old 06-23-2009 at 12:50 AM   #166
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTHX View Post
Really they rent servers? Shit they should just maintain their own for Solar. It'd make a lot more sense. One dedicated server for Solar use only that could maintain enough bandwith for the number of mac students. Jeez. With tuition and all that raising I think they could possibly afford that.
Well, I'm assuming they are renting the server... they might be using their own I don't know.

As for rising tuition costs, I'm pretty sure most of it is going to research... With the recession they need more money to fund their research. It only makes sense.
Old 06-23-2009 at 12:54 AM   #167
faheimm

Liked: 0 Times

I'm writing a deferred exam on wednesday for a course that acts as a prerequisite for something else. and as of right now, solar isn't letting me enrol in that second course -and i was jsut wondering if anybody knows when i'll be able to register for it......?
Old 06-23-2009 at 12:56 AM   #168
PTGregD
Elite Member

Liked: 349 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by faheimm View Post
I'm writing a deferred exam on wednesday for a course that acts as a prerequisite for something else. and as of right now, solar isn't letting me enrol in that second course -and i was jsut wondering if anybody knows when i'll be able to register for it......?
I'd contact your academic advisor; they would probably be able to fix the pre-requisite problem in the least amount of time. You'd probably have to get some kind of a pre-req waiver for now since you technically haven't completed the course that acts as the pre-req.

faheimm says thanks to PTGregD for this post.
Old 06-23-2009 at 12:59 AM   #169
faheimm

ALSOOO - the second year commerce courses are acting strange. 2ba3 is apparently a prereq for 2bc3, and solar wont let me register for both of them in second semseter because i guess ihave to do 2ba3 BEFORE 2bc3. but the 2bc3 class in term 1 is full - HOWWWW IS THAT POSSSIBBLLEE???
Old 06-23-2009 at 01:03 AM   #170
PTGregD
Elite Member

Liked: 349 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by faheimm View Post
ALSOOO - the second year commerce courses are acting strange. 2ba3 is apparently a prereq for 2bc3, and solar wont let me register for both of them in second semseter because i guess ihave to do 2ba3 BEFORE 2bc3. but the 2bc3 class in term 1 is full - HOWWWW IS THAT POSSSIBBLLEE???
Easy answer. The reason some students can take 2bc3 in term 1 is because up until this year, the course was 3bc3. Students last year (aka me) took 2ba3 and were prepared to take 3bc3 this year, but instead have to take 2bc3 as the course was changed to this. That means that we can take it first semester because we have the pre-req completed for it, while new students coming into second year have to wait until term 2, because they still need to complete 2ba3.

Victor K says thanks to PTGregD for this post.
Old 06-23-2009 at 01:08 AM   #171
faheimm

shoooot. so there's no way i can take them aat the same time,eh? shucks. now my schedule is ugly. i had fridays off :(
Old 06-23-2009 at 01:24 AM   #172
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

So, I got in surprisingly. The electives I wanted are full. Anthro 2U03 and Media 1B03, but the course selection dates for Level 2 Social Sciences and Level 1 Humanities are not open yet. Does this mean they're saying it's full in order to hold onto seats for those who require it? Will they open up more seats after that? I just need to know in case I need to hunt for more electives. -___-
Old 06-23-2009 at 01:26 AM   #173
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

There reserving seats but you should probably pick another elective just in case you still don't get a seat.
Old 06-23-2009 at 02:08 AM   #174
sinsintome

Liked: 15 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by feonateresa View Post
So, I got in surprisingly. The electives I wanted are full. Anthro 2U03 and Media 1B03, but the course selection dates for Level 2 Social Sciences and Level 1 Humanities are not open yet. Does this mean they're saying it's full in order to hold onto seats for those who require it? Will they open up more seats after that? I just need to know in case I need to hunt for more electives. -___-
mmedia 1b03 is always, i repeat, ALWAYS FULL.

this has been my third year trying to get in, because photoshop is my life. though i'm in hons. bio, so idk.
Old 06-23-2009 at 02:11 AM   #175
sinsintome

IS ANYBODY SEEING THIS WHEN THEY'VE LOGGED ONTO MUGSI AND AGREED TO THE FIPPA NOTICE?

Quote:
A technical error has been encountered; please call the UTS Helpline at x24357.
Old 06-23-2009 at 02:12 AM   #176
tamzmullett

Is anyone else getting this message when trying to get onto mugsi: "A technical error has been encountered; please call the UTS Helpline at x24357."
Old 06-23-2009 at 02:12 AM   #177
tamzmullett

oops sorry just saw it above
Old 06-23-2009 at 04:20 AM   #178
Victor K

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinsintome View Post
IS ANYBODY SEEING THIS WHEN THEY'VE LOGGED ONTO MUGSI AND AGREED TO THE FIPPA NOTICE?
Yeah, just close the window and try again!
Old 06-23-2009 at 08:29 AM   #179
collymolotov

people should be demanding change, not accepting SOLAR
if SOLAR can only accommodate 30, 60, or even 100 students at once, I am absolutely boggled. words do not even begin to describe it. thats like a web server from 1989. Your telling me that a first-world post-secondary institution can't afford modern web server technology, not only to ensure more of its students are satisfied with course selection but improve the process overall?

in my opinion, the IT manager in charge of SOLAR ought to be taken out behind campus and strung up down Cootes for a proper working-over. this is an insult not only to the time, energy, and intelligence of Mac students but their wallets and aspirations as well. It would not take much to expand the server to accommodate thousands of students, ANY commercial website can be used as an example. It just goes to show you how far down the totem pole students actually come in terms of Mac Priorities.

remember that you are a CUSTOMER of McMaster University before you are a STUDENT, and as such you should demand proper customer service before you accept anything at Mac as being sanctified...far too many people here are complacent when they should be very, very upset.

lorend, Mowicz, Parnian, sinsintome, viv_ntiri all say thanks to collymolotov for this post.
Old 06-23-2009 at 09:34 AM   #180
jachill
Vampire Slayer

Liked: 40 Times

Quote:
And by server I mean a Cassio Calculator with an internet connection.
LOL I think you discovered their secret.