MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need help with SOLAR.... drummerboy First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 08-11-2010 12:28 AM
SOLAR Help! lauracs First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 06-30-2010 03:25 AM
Solar Pay919 Academics 830 08-23-2009 02:24 AM
Solar stefan_toron First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 13 07-16-2009 10:53 PM
Can everyone get on SOLAR, right now? crys.eg Academics 8 07-16-2009 10:01 AM

ugh. SOLAR. *stab*

Old 06-23-2009 at 11:03 AM   #181
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Excellent post Collymolotov.

BTW guys...the 'blue screen of death' isn't actually a blue screen at all...It's a pic that's been manually tinted blue, reminiscent of the Windows blue screen of death.

The 'blue screen of death' is just a joking way to refer to that 'too many students' page...it isn't actually blue. So people who have commented saying "I haven't gotten a blue screen of death" you more than likely have.

(Unless it is actually blue...in which case I'll just shut my mouth xD)
Old 06-23-2009 at 11:12 AM   #182
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,656 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by collymolotov View Post
in my opinion, the IT manager in charge of SOLAR ought to be taken out behind campus and strung up down Cootes for a proper working-over.
Not only for that, but also for forcing us to use this Cisco Access Agent crap and for deciding that 1024 by 768 is a good resolution for the 30 inch monitors in Thode... lol
Old 06-23-2009 at 11:34 AM   #183
jachill
Vampire Slayer

Liked: 40 Times

Quote:
BTW guys...the 'blue screen of death' isn't actually a blue screen at all...It's a pic that's been manually tinted blue, reminiscent of the Windows blue screen of death.
haha Good, I thought I was the only one who's screen WASN'T blue. XP But "Blue screen of death" does sound a lot more menacing than just "Screen of death"
Old 06-23-2009 at 11:35 AM   #184
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowicz View Post
Excellent post Collymolotov.

The 'blue screen of death' is just a joking way to refer to that 'too many students' page...it isn't actually blue. So people who have commented saying "I haven't gotten a blue screen of death" you more than likely have.

(Unless it is actually blue...in which case I'll just shut my mouth xD)
Yes she's right, it isn't actually blue LOL. Oh gosh. They should make the screen blue just to humour our frustrated minds.
Old 06-23-2009 at 11:37 AM   #185
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 361 Times

Alrighty, So this is a random and most probably silly question but I just realized that my double major in Economics and Sociology cannot add upto 120 units :S

Here's the Requirement for Honours Economics and another subject:

120 units total (Levels I to IV), of which 48 units may be Level I

30 units from the Level I program completed prior to admission to the program. (See Admission above.)

18 units
ECON 2G03, 2GG3, 2H03, 2HH3, 3F03, 4A03Note 3 above.) (See

15 units Levels II, III, IV Economics with no more than six units from ECON 2A03, 2C03, 2D03, 2E03, 2F03, 2I03, 2J03, 2N03, 2P03, 2T03 (See Note 4 above.)

36 units
courses specified for the other subject

6 units ECON 2B03 and 3U03; or, in combined programs within the Faculty of Social Sciences, the Research Methods/Statistics requirement specified for the other subject. (See Note 2 above.)

3 units*
from MATH 1A03, 1LS3 or 1M03

3 units**
from STATS 1L03 (or Grade 12 Mathematics of Data Management U)
9 units Electives. If not completed in Level I, a minimum of six units must be from the Faculty of Humanities and/or the Department of Religious Studies. Students combining Economics with Arts & Science, or with a Humanities subject, are exempt from this requirement.

I have 36 units for Sociology

Here are the requirements for Sociology with another subject

Requirements
120 units total (Levels I to IV), of which 48 units may be Level I

30 units from the Level I program completed prior to admission to the program. (See Admission above.) 6 units SOCIOL 2S06
3 units from SOCIOL 3A03, 3P03, 3PP3
3 units
from SOCIOL 3O03, 3W03 (See Note 6 above.)
6 units Level IV Sociology (See Note 2 above.) 18 units Levels II, III or IV Sociology (See Notes 2 and 3 above.)
36 units
courses specified for the other subject
6-9 units
SOCIOL 2Z03 which must be completed by the end of 60 units, and SOCIOL 3H06 or, in combined programs within the Faculty of Social Sciences, the six units Research Methods/Statistics course specified for the other subject.
9-12 units Electives. If not completed in Level I, a minimum of six units must be from the Faculty of Humanities and/or the Department of Religious Studies. Students combining Sociology with Arts & Science, or with a Humanities subject, are exempt from this requirement.

So here I have to take 6+3+3+6+18+ 3(Assuming for the stats I take Econ 2B03 and 3U03 as well)=39 units

Or for the 6-9 Units stats section I can completely forgoe any Sociology department stats if I take Both The econ stats, the "Or" is wierdly placed :S

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Last edited by huzaifa47 : 06-23-2009 at 11:40 AM.
Old 06-23-2009 at 11:50 AM   #186
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

Herein lies the fault with the McMaster double-major system. You need to run a degree audit to be able to see what courses you need; looking at the course calender just confuses you/doesn't help you at all. Doing a double major means shortening some of the required course lists down, but it can easily be done.

Well, maybe not easily depending on course availability, but you can do it for sure.

My Anthro/CSCT degree looked like it was going to be impossible based on the info the course calenders gave me...it wasn't!

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

huzaifa47 says thanks to lorend for this post.
Old 06-23-2009 at 11:56 AM   #187
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 361 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorend View Post
Herein lies the fault with the McMaster double-major system. You need to run a degree audit to be able to see what courses you need; looking at the course calender just confuses you/doesn't help you at all. Doing a double major means shortening some of the required course lists down, but it can easily be done.

Well, maybe not easily depending on course availability, but you can do it for sure.

My Anthro/CSCT degree looked like it was going to be impossible based on the info the course calenders gave me...it wasn't!
But the degree audit wouldn't be available to me till what date? (It should be I assume atleast after Tommorow the 24th my course selection date opening)

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Old 06-23-2009 at 11:59 AM   #188
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Yeah, most likely after your course selection since you need to select your program in order for the degree audit to work. You can access it now, but it'll use your Level I program.

huzaifa47 says thanks to jhan523 for this post.
Old 06-23-2009 at 12:01 PM   #189
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

You know how it says you have 7 days after your course selection date to change your course selections? Does it open anytime after that so you can change them then?
Old 06-23-2009 at 12:03 PM   #190
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Yes it does, August 13! You'll have until the drop/add deadline which is September 21st for term 1 and term 3 and January 13th for term 2.
Old 06-23-2009 at 12:04 PM   #191
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Hmmm.

I guess try it after midnight and see, but it may not be up right away. If you're close to Mac see if you can get a drop-in appt with the Soc Sci advisers.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 06-23-2009 at 12:07 PM   #192
Maegs
Elite Member

Liked: 26 Times

Quote:

I'm doing a double major in CSCT and History
I need to take CSCT 1BB3, but it's full, and when the extra seats open I'll be locked out of SOLAR.
They're only offering 2 of the 4 second year Core CSCT Courses this year, and of those 2, 1 conflicts with 2 different History classes I'm taking. I couldn't take a third year CSCT course, because of the ones I"m interested in, only one doesn't conflict, and it's full.
And when I got on SOLAR at 12:40 last night, both the electives I wanted to take were full (well, one of them had a night class open, but it conflicts with the only offered lecture of one of my CSCT courses)

So needless to say, I"m going to be making some phone calls...This is what happens when only one section of (almost?) every course in a department is offered, and required courses aren't even being offered.
Old 06-23-2009 at 12:11 PM   #193
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maegs View Post
I'm doing a double major in CSCT and History
I need to take CSCT 1BB3, but it's full, and when the extra seats open I'll be locked out of SOLAR.
They're only offering 2 of the 4 second year Core CSCT Courses this year, and of those 2, 1 conflicts with 2 different History classes I'm taking. I couldn't take a third year CSCT course, because of the ones I"m interested in, only one doesn't conflict, and it's full.
And when I got on SOLAR at 12:40 last night, both the electives I wanted to take were full (well, one of them had a night class open, but it conflicts with the only offered lecture of one of my CSCT courses)

So needless to say, I"m going to be making some phone calls...This is what happens when only one section of (almost?) every course in a department is offered, and required courses aren't even being offered.
Unfortunately in a lot of cases you have to take courses you're not interested in to complete the requirements too. It's shitty but you can't get what you want all of the time.

And it also gives you experience for not getting the seminars you want in fourth year!

Old 06-23-2009 at 12:11 PM   #194
Parnian

Liked: 13 Times

Entering fourth year. Woke up at 8:00 AM. Took about 2 1/2 hours to get in, and in fact I got in at one point but then it booted me half way through. Got all of my courses. One of the courses was full when I first got in (fourth year immunology) but then it was available again, somehow. Thank goodness. MUGSI is shit-tastic. However, I'm so glad it wasn't the 12 am deal. That is infinitely worse. 8:30 was better.

At this point, you can tell I just don't care anymore. I've done my fair share of ranting about MUGSI and McMaster in general. I still believe that McMaster values money over education. But hey, what can you do right?

Last edited by Parnian : 06-23-2009 at 12:15 PM.
Old 06-23-2009 at 12:13 PM   #195
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Well CSCT 1BB3 is a first year course, so they'll probably open the reserved seats when the first years pick. But if you are required to take it you can call to ask for a seat. They never overbook the rooms, in fact they always save 5% of the seats (meaning that those seats won't be open until much later, probably when SOLAR re-opens) just in case a course gets full and students required to take the course need to take it. I read it somewhere, but it was for 2006. So it might be different now, but I doubt it.