MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need help with SOLAR.... drummerboy First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 08-11-2010 12:28 AM
SOLAR Help! lauracs First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 06-30-2010 03:25 AM
Solar Pay919 Academics 830 08-23-2009 02:24 AM
Solar stefan_toron First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 13 07-16-2009 10:53 PM
Can everyone get on SOLAR, right now? crys.eg Academics 8 07-16-2009 10:01 AM

ugh. SOLAR. *stab*

Old 06-23-2009 at 12:14 PM   #196
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnian View Post
Entering fourth year. Woke up at 8:00 AM. Took about 2 1/2 hours to get in, minus the fact I got in at one point and then it booted me.

Got all of my courses. One of the courses was full when I first got in (fourth year immunology) but then it was available again, somehow. Thank goodness.

MUGSI is shit-tastic. However, I'm so glad it wasn't the 12 am deal. That is infinitely worse. 8:30 was better.
Lol, someone probably switched out of the course. But I agree, 8:30 is a lot better than midnight.
Old 06-23-2009 at 12:18 PM   #197
Maegs
Elite Member

Liked: 26 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorend View Post
Unfortunately in a lot of cases you have to take courses you're not interested in to complete the requirements too. It's shitty but you can't get what you want all of the time.

And it also gives you experience for not getting the seminars you want in fourth year!
Ya, I need to be able to take some of the third year courses this year, otherwise I'll end up taking 21 units of CSCT next year and not having enough units left over for the history half of my degree. Unfortunately, the courses that seem the most interesting aren't on the core list half the time. I was looking forward to taking Spectacular Bodies though, but it's one of the ones not offered.
Old 06-23-2009 at 12:48 PM   #198
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by feonateresa View Post
Yes she's right, it isn't actually blue LOL.
"I'm a boy!"
"Thaaaat's the spirit!"

Since some people still don't quite get the joke...to really drive the point home, the blue screen of death:

Old 06-23-2009 at 12:58 PM   #199
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maegs View Post
Ya, I need to be able to take some of the third year courses this year, otherwise I'll end up taking 21 units of CSCT next year and not having enough units left over for the history half of my degree. Unfortunately, the courses that seem the most interesting aren't on the core list half the time. I was looking forward to taking Spectacular Bodies though, but it's one of the ones not offered.
Spectacular Bodies isn't offered every year, I think it's every other year or every two years. I only recall it being available once in three years, and I couldn't take it because it conflicted with something.

The fact that the English/CSCT department lost 2+ CSCT/English profs has something to do with the fact that some courses aren't offered. But as I said, you have to take the courses that fulfill your requirements, you can't focus on the ones you're interested in, otherwise you won't graduate.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 06-23-2009 at 01:02 PM   #200
Maegs
Elite Member

I called them and they basically told me I have to wait until August to try and get into 1BB3, and any third year course, even though I need to take 1BB3 to stay in the program, and any third year course to be able to take enough history classes in 3rd year.

I've resigned myself to taking a bunch of courses next year that sound like they're going to be -feminism feminism feminism- lol

I heard that Oulette (sp??) was a really good prof, a lot of people I know were mad that he's not at Mac this year
Old 06-23-2009 at 01:20 PM   #201
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maegs View Post
I called them and they basically told me I have to wait until August to try and get into 1BB3, and any third year course, even though I need to take 1BB3 to stay in the program, and any third year course to be able to take enough history classes in 3rd year.

I've resigned myself to taking a bunch of courses next year that sound like they're going to be -feminism feminism feminism- lol

I heard that Oulette (sp??) was a really good prof, a lot of people I know were mad that he's not at Mac this year
Ouellette is an awesome prof, and an awesome guy in general. A hard marker though, which a lot of students ***** about him for.

There are a few (only a small number though) of courses that don't have profs listed...so maybe he may come back next year? If we're lucky?

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 06-23-2009 at 02:28 PM   #202
Maegs
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorend View Post
Ouellette is an awesome prof, and an awesome guy in general. A hard marker though, which a lot of students ***** about him for.

There are a few (only a small number though) of courses that don't have profs listed...so maybe he may come back next year? If we're lucky?
They don't have profs listed for some of the csct courses I'm taking yet. So far I have Coleman and Fast. Have you had them?

(I also have Murgatroyd for a Theatre and Film course, who, besides having an awesome name, is apparently also a great prof)
Old 06-23-2009 at 02:42 PM   #203
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

I had Fast. I didn't like her at all. Nor have others who have had her for CSCT classes (she's a music prof...I assume she's teaching 2MM3?). Coleman no, though.

Old 06-23-2009 at 02:47 PM   #204
Maegs
Elite Member

Yep, Fast is teaching 2MM3, as well as 2C03 (Concepts of Music) - I'll probably switch from 2C03 to 1BB3 though
Old 06-23-2009 at 03:07 PM   #205
jordanrogers

Liked: 1 Time

i am taking 2mm3 in the fall - is fast really that bad?? any tips?
Old 06-23-2009 at 08:16 PM   #206
oakster15

Liked: 13 Times

why are some half the courses i want to take not on mugsi?? i qualify for them but i can't find them? can anyone help me?
Old 06-23-2009 at 08:19 PM   #207
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakster15 View Post
why are some half the courses i want to take not on mugsi?? i qualify for them but i can't find them? can anyone help me?
Which courses are you looking for exactly?
Old 06-23-2009 at 08:20 PM   #208
Maegs
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakster15 View Post
Some of them might not be offered. For example, 4 out of the possible 7 2nd year CSCT courses were offered this year, and a lot of History courses weren't offered either.
Old 06-23-2009 at 09:17 PM   #209
Infinity
Elite Member

Liked: 90 Times

I don't see why they can't upgrade SOLAR.... Everyone has problems with it!

They're making a change from webCT to ELM.... so why night SOLAR to something better that's more user friendly.
Old 06-23-2009 at 09:21 PM   #210
Omega_X13

Liked: 9 Times

Has anyone heard from people from other schools if they have as much trouble choosing courses as we have?