MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need help with SOLAR.... drummerboy First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 08-11-2010 12:28 AM
SOLAR Help! lauracs First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 06-30-2010 03:25 AM
Solar Pay919 Academics 830 08-23-2009 02:24 AM
Solar stefan_toron First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 13 07-16-2009 10:53 PM
Can everyone get on SOLAR, right now? crys.eg Academics 8 07-16-2009 10:01 AM

ugh. SOLAR. *stab*

Old 06-25-2009 at 04:13 PM   #346
ThatGuy

Liked: 36 Times

o wow thanks so much. Thats a sigh of relief for me.
Old 06-25-2009 at 04:47 PM   #347
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

I'm leaving at an awkward time too and I figured I'd leave my mum and sister a copy of my proposed schedule and get them to um sign up for me if the Internet died for some strange reason.

But since certain time slots are considered better for switching courses, being in a different time zone may actually be beneficial
Old 06-25-2009 at 04:58 PM   #348
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

And just for the hell of it, my sister goes to UTM and uses ROSI. (I always called that Ross-eee, instead of realising it was...Rosy...)

And ...I'm pretty sure...with her...once the course is full - that's it.
I don't think they get second chances to try and vy for the spot.

But I might be wrong. She's usually so pissed upon mention of such a traumatic time, I'm lucky to get a grunt out of her and not something thrown at my head.
Old 06-25-2009 at 05:03 PM   #349
jachill
Vampire Slayer

Liked: 40 Times

Quote:
Hi, can anyone check if there are spots left in STATS 2B03 and MMEDIA 1A03? I want to take the stats course this year because it was suggested by MedRadSci department for me to take it this year instead of Year. Also, the multimedia course is my preferred free elective.

Thanks!
MMEDIA 1A03 is deffinitely full right now, however they might open more spots for when the first years start registering next week on Monday, June 29th so you should try then.

As for STATS 2B03, there's a lot of fuss about that going on now. I was able to get in yesterday even though it is appearing as full for just about everyone else. It may depend on your program.
Old 06-25-2009 at 05:05 PM   #350
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

I think you might have been lucky :\
Old 06-25-2009 at 06:46 PM   #351
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 360 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodnews.inc View Post
And just for the hell of it, my sister goes to UTM and uses ROSI. (I always called that Ross-eee, instead of realising it was...Rosy...)

And ...I'm pretty sure...with her...once the course is full - that's it.
I don't think they get second chances to try and vy for the spot.

But I might be wrong. She's usually so pissed upon mention of such a traumatic time, I'm lucky to get a grunt out of her and not something thrown at my head.
ROSI is actually a MUCH MUCH better system. Over there if the course is full at first you can instead click on put me on waitlist. Then you are on the waitlist which even says how many people there are and where is your rank, that way you can either stick with it or say if you are like 200th go to some other course. SOLAR is like refresh refresh and random clicking and hoping the course is not full or someone has dropped it. Even worse I just got an email reply from a prof that the class is less then half full but through some admin issue it is showing full to most people, they still haven't been able to fix it

Plus If I recall correctly my friends at uoft never told me that they ever got kicked off cause it was full. Well done Mac!

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Old 06-25-2009 at 07:29 PM   #352
viv_ntiri

Liked: 0 Times

Our whole course registration system blows.

I'm entering Environmental Science II, and my credit requirements for this year includes picking 4 of 6 courses from a mandatory list. 3 of those 4 classes were listed as "full". I never knew people wanted to take Physical Hydrology and Environmental Chemistry for fun...

I've sent an email to the Assistant Dean of Science...they need to fix this in the next 7 days. The same thing happened to me last year for courses I needed as well.

You'd think that with all the tuition we pay each year the school would be able to afford a system that holds more students. I honestly think that the MUGSI server holds 10 people at a time LOL
Old 06-25-2009 at 07:33 PM   #353
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Calling may be faster... obviously not today, but tomorrow. ^-^
Old 06-25-2009 at 07:38 PM   #354
manu
jack

Liked: 75 Times

what happens after the 7 day window? do we have to wait until aug 11 to personalize our timetable? and also how come for many of the life science courses (life sci 2f03, 2h03 ect...) I cant choose my tutorial component - it doesnt show

Last edited by manu : 06-25-2009 at 07:42 PM.
Old 06-25-2009 at 07:45 PM   #355
ThatGuy

Liked: 36 Times

if we want to call to ask them to open a spot for a required course who do we call? what extension is it? I tried calling today but they transfer you so much and then the machine told me just to look at the website for details....
Old 06-25-2009 at 07:50 PM   #356
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by manu View Post
what happens after the 7 day window? do we have to wait until aug 11 to personalize our timetable? and also how come for many of the life science courses (life sci 2f03, 2h03 ect...) I cant choose my tutorial component - it doesnt show
It opens up again July something, I think 13th, just to drop/add. Then it opens up again on August 13th and you'll be able to attempt changing sections.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuy
if we want to call to ask them to open a spot for a required course who do we call? what extension is it? I tried calling today but they transfer you so much and then the machine told me just to look at the website for details....
You'll need the extension of the department that the course belong to.

manu says thanks to jhan523 for this post.
Old 06-25-2009 at 07:56 PM   #357
manu
jack

Liked: 75 Times

I'm just wondering, are you the same Jeremy that lived in edwards?
Old 06-25-2009 at 07:57 PM   #358
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Uhhh, yeah... do I know you? o.O
Old 06-25-2009 at 08:01 PM   #359
denisa002

Liked: 3 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by huzaifa47 View Post
ROSI is actually a MUCH MUCH better system. Plus If I recall correctly my friends at uoft never told me that they ever got kicked off cause it was full. Well done Mac!
Agreed! My brother went to UTM for Finance and said that ROSI was actually created by students, and it never crashed when full. Apparently, it also showed if you had any conflicts in your timetable as you chose the course, so you didn't have to keep consulting the master timetable, AND if a course was required, you would most certainly get in.

He almost made it sound...legendary...: disg48:
Old 06-25-2009 at 08:31 PM   #360
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Wow..
I never knew that (about ROSI)
Thanks that was really informative.
All this time when I was reading through this thread I was thinking, "Well, we might have it slightly easier" and now I wish I had never posted that because living blissfully ignorant seems nicer.

If it's such a flawed system, could we as students petition or appeal for a better one?

I know launching something new or making all these improvements would be time consuming and costly but if we can now read MRI's on phones, perhaps it could be possible to do so without having it wraught with bugs.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences