MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need help with SOLAR.... drummerboy First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 08-11-2010 12:28 AM
SOLAR Help! lauracs First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 06-30-2010 03:25 AM
Solar Pay919 Academics 830 08-23-2009 02:24 AM
Solar stefan_toron First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 13 07-16-2009 10:53 PM
Can everyone get on SOLAR, right now? crys.eg Academics 8 07-16-2009 10:01 AM

ugh. SOLAR. *stab*

Old 06-18-2009 at 02:05 PM   #136
ladyh

Liked: 25 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by feonateresa View Post
You mean there's actually a protest? Where is it being held exactly? Haha, man I'd go but I'm too much of a cheapskate to spend 20 bucks to come down.

I actually came up with this idea as a joke (I mean do you really think anybody is going to give damn that 11 students are standing in front of GH with signs made out of cardboard and sharpies?) but a lot of people have actually been seriously interested. I mostly want to do it for it's entertainment value but lots of other people are actually very passionate about this idea. So .. whether you are like me and just want to do it for a laugh and see if you get in trouble, or if you actually are mega angry that they haven't done anything about this for years, then come out on June 24th between 2:30 and 5:30 PM in front of Gilmour Hall and bring your own sign and angry face =P.

My thinking is .. it has been a problem for years .. if there was something they could have done about it, wouldn't they have done it already? Also, I don't know much about this, but can't people from the SRA do something to try to get them to get more bandwidth or something this time of year or just CHANGE the system somehow (like let only one faculty on a day, as cumbersome as that sounds, or SOMETHING). Maybe somebody who knows more than me (since I don't know much about this) can shed some light on it, since I am wondering why the school hasn't done anything about it, even though the exact same friggen problems happen every year, lol.

Oh, and I don't think it's reasonable to expect students to wait till it has "calmed down" to try to register, considering a lot of electives were full within 25 minutes of SOLAR opening last night. For first and second year, I would wait until 5 AM to try to register since I didn't really have any electives, but this year I knew my electives would get full REALLY quickly (and I needed them for vet school) so I went on at midnight, same as a bazillion other people, I guess, since it seems everybody in Bio/Life Sci/etc. were all desperate for the exact same classes (like Immunology, Virology, apparently 3UU3 got filled up really quickly for the non-Bio students, etc.). And nobody wants to have to wait .. they just want to get in now and not have to worry about it anymore, lol.

Last edited by ladyh : 06-18-2009 at 02:10 PM.
Old 06-18-2009 at 02:10 PM   #137
PTGregD
Elite Member

Liked: 349 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireDragoonX View Post
is it logging in before midnight? because I'm sure other people are going to try that.
Or is it waiting until tomorrow morning?
Heh, while that's not what I'm talking about, I'll definitely be logging in at like 11:57.
Old 06-18-2009 at 02:29 PM   #138
kenneth526
Elite Member

Liked: 41 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTGregD View Post
Heh, while that's not what I'm talking about, I'll definitely be logging in at like 11:57.
Last night it was full even at 11:30pm. I hope you have better luck than me though.

Old 06-18-2009 at 02:45 PM   #139
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 470 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyh View Post
Thanks, that gives me a little more hope! So far I only have 2 out of the 5 courses I wanted for first semester =S and I need one of those courses to fulfill a requirement, and I need the other 2 to get into Ontario Veterinary College, even though they are considered electives for my degree. Blahhhh
You should definitely find out someone who you can contact regarding this issue and explain your situation.

If 1 of the courses is a degree requirement and it is full than if you contact the right person they will open a seat for you.

Regarding the 2 courses needed to get into Veterinary College you should definitely speak to someone about that too. Obviously it is not a degree requirement but they are required for you to further your education so they should be able to help you.
Old 06-18-2009 at 02:58 PM   #140
HeatherH
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 10 Times

It took my boyfriend an hour and a half to get on SOLAR when it opened for him at 8:30 on Monday.

I tried Tuesday at 12am for half an hour. I couldn't get on and gave up. I tried again in the morning at 7am and got in no problem. None of my classes were full and it was not busy at all.

It was probably because I'm in fourth year and at the beginning of the line - I wasn't battling every other faculty and year to get in like I was in first year.

It is a huge pain though. I wish Mac would think of something to fix this.. Before this year, I could never get into the classses I wanted until September. SOLAR was always impossible to get into and, by the time I got in, all the classes were full. Just keep trying guys! Someone is bound to drop the class you want sooner or later.
Old 06-18-2009 at 03:13 PM   #141
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyh View Post

Oh, and I don't think it's reasonable to expect students to wait till it has "calmed down" to try to register, considering a lot of electives were full within 25 minutes of SOLAR opening last night. For first and second year, I would wait until 5 AM to try to register since I didn't really have any electives, but this year I knew my electives would get full REALLY quickly (and I needed them for vet school) so I went on at midnight, same as a bazillion other people, I guess, since it seems everybody in Bio/Life Sci/etc. were all desperate for the exact same classes (like Immunology, Virology, apparently 3UU3 got filled up really quickly for the non-Bio students, etc.). And nobody wants to have to wait .. they just want to get in now and not have to worry about it anymore, lol.
You forget that 4th/5th year students registered earlier so a lot of the courses were full. Virology was full on the first day registration opened. It happened to me when I entered 3rd year. Since 4th and 3rd year courses are considered equivalent, us fourth years took a lot of 3rd year electives. Don't forget that you can always take the two courses you need for vet school next year. : )

Is Bio 3uu3 already full? I would check back constantly for bio 3uu3, people may end up dropping it after 1st term.
Old 06-18-2009 at 04:53 PM   #142
ladyh

Liked: 25 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesus View Post
You forget that 4th/5th year students registered earlier so a lot of the courses were full. Virology was full on the first day registration opened. It happened to me when I entered 3rd year. Since 4th and 3rd year courses are considered equivalent, us fourth years took a lot of 3rd year electives. Don't forget that you can always take the two courses you need for vet school next year. : )

Is Bio 3uu3 already full? I would check back constantly for bio 3uu3, people may end up dropping it after 1st term.
I got into Bio 3UU3 since I am in bio, but my friends in life science weren't able to get in. But I'm sure once people experience the horror of 3U03 they might not want to take 3UU3 .. lol. It's second term anyway so it's not that urgent.

And I didn't know that 4th and 3rd year courses are considered equivalent. Ugh! Somebody told me that when 4th years registered, it filled up in 3 hours. Oh well, I will keep trying .. maybe after health sci gets to pick, and I'm sure not all of them will take it, more seats in that class will open.

And I was going to apply to OVC this coming cycle in January, so I was hoping to get all my stuff done. I'll go talk to somebody .. if not I guess I'll just wait another year to apply. Anyway, enough of my life story lol ..
Old 06-18-2009 at 08:33 PM   #143
Omega_X13

Liked: 9 Times

For anyone who was trying to get into BIO 3MM3, I emailed Kathy McIntosh, and she gave me a waiver for it. Apparently, there's a coding problem that the registrar is trying to fix.
Old 06-18-2009 at 09:34 PM   #144
FireDragoonX
Elite Member

Liked: 142 Times

I haven't gotten my waiver for a course I want to take even though I called and the academic advisor said they would give me one. = (
I hope it doesn't get full after the commies register tonight (it's a commerce course)
Old 06-18-2009 at 09:43 PM   #145
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

@FireDragoonX

If you are issued a waiver, you are guaranteed a spot in the course even if it is labelled "Full."

So don't worry. How long has it been since you asked for it? Sometimes waivers may take as long as a week...or as long as 3 months if the prof/department forgets about it, haha. If it's been more than two or three days, give the issuer a friendly reminder and let them know it's time to register and such.

FireDragoonX says thanks to Mowicz for this post.
Old 06-18-2009 at 10:05 PM   #146
FireDragoonX
Elite Member

Liked: 142 Times

Are you sure about the guaranteed a spot thing? I hope that's true.

I'm not sure since I'm doing a minor in finance and need 3 courses and the advisor asked me to pick a 4th in case one became full.

It's only been about one day since I talked to the advisor, she did tell me I should have the waivers by today.
I know they're really busy, so I am going to call again tomorrow morning for sure.
Old 06-18-2009 at 10:07 PM   #147
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Yeah man, I'm sure...A course waiver gives you permission to take a course regardless of requirements for registration (scheduling, course requirements and even capacity).

If you can't get in because it's full (I'm not sure exactly how SOLAR is programmed) then you can go make a big deal to the advisor, and they should manually input you into the course.

But judging from Omega_X13's post...the course Bio 3MM3 shows up as full (in error, but still), he got a waiver processed and successfully added the course.

EDIT: Sorry misunderstood, see Omega_X13's post below:

However, your waiver processing time will vary depending on who is issuing it...so don't worry about that. I've had some waivers take as long as 3 days to activate.

Last edited by Mowicz : 06-18-2009 at 10:21 PM.
Old 06-18-2009 at 10:15 PM   #148
Omega_X13

Liked: 9 Times

Actually, it showed up as available, but it said I didn't have the prerequisites, which is a mistake (happens for everyone I think?). I'm not sure if it's been fixed yet. Oh, and also I got the waiver right away...like a couple of hours after emailing her..
Old 06-19-2009 at 08:39 PM   #149
meerf

Liked: 7 Times

hahaha @ the blue screen of death
Old 06-20-2009 at 10:22 AM   #150
jachill
Vampire Slayer

Liked: 40 Times

This is kind of random but I just remembered this, back in the old days to pick classes you had to wait in one HUGE long line and it was first come first served. What would you prefer? Honestly, I'd be willing to get in line the night before and camp out for the night, that has to be a better chance of getting the courses we want rather than every student storming SOLAR at midnight. The old way seems a lot more orderly while the new age is like storming a store that just opened with everything for free on Christmas Eve and the floor collapses when it's filled to capacity. lol