MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Weird Food Combinations You've Had AdelaisAer Body & Food 10 10-03-2010 12:16 AM
Is it weird that some new books are cheaper than used? sinthusized General Discussion 7 09-11-2009 08:45 PM
Getting Weird Calls on Campus Phone johnaa General Discussion 7 01-23-2009 08:14 PM
weird question!! ishk33 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 08-28-2008 12:48 PM
weird but true!!!! joset2 General Discussion 1 06-14-2007 02:52 PM

Weird things in class

Old 10-02-2009 at 11:03 PM   #136
fasailuddin
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 47 Times

McLean is an amazing prof, especially for math and his jokes are truly one of a kind
Old 10-02-2009 at 11:23 PM   #137
myoozik

Liked: 42 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fight0 View Post
2 years ago. It was a memorable occasion to say the least.
ahahhaa i was sitting two rows behind the girl and people started throwing balls of paper at her. it was hilarious.
Old 10-03-2009 at 06:59 AM   #138
kenvin100
Elite Member

Liked: 21 Times

hahah @ childs incident..thas hilarious

clearly the greatest prof..last year..he noticed a guy sleeping in class, and took a picture right beside him..then he put that picture on the overhead for everyone to laugh at

lawleypop likes this.
Old 10-03-2009 at 10:00 AM   #139
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 421 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropy View Post
yo lawleypop, i'm real proud of you and imma let you finish, but

Hi, I'm Stephen. And I just broke your statistic.
Glad to see you've picked up on my mad introduction skillz ;D

In Biology 1M03 we had someone ask completely seriously why Grizzly Bears and Panda Bears couldn't mate. >.< Not so much "weird" as compared to "scary", but I don't think I have any better stories.
Old 10-03-2009 at 12:31 PM   #140
Duarch

Liked: 19 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fight0 View Post
2 years ago. It was a memorable occasion to say the least.
Lol I remember that. In her defense, I think the midterm was the next day... but still. I mean you could not come to class, read the textbook the night before and ace it.
Old 10-03-2009 at 12:53 PM   #141
Shanel

Liked: 150 Times

About two years ago I took a psych course during the summer. There was one guy in our class that always liked to butt in and argue about the dumbest things with the professor. Once he was talking about electroshock therapy and its use today and the guy angrily pipes up with something like "It ruins people's memories! I saw it in a documentary once! ". Just about everyone in the class rolled their eyes. He was always trying to argue some stupid moral/philosophical/ethical point in class, slowing down the professor and wasting everyone's time.

Finally towards the last lecture, I guess even the prof had enough and told him (very nicely) that he was wasting our time. We all clapped and cheered.

On an unrelated note, a thought occurred to me regarding people filming themselves in class. I don't own a macbook so I can't be sure, but perhaps they're using the webcam as a cheap way to record what the professor is saying? Obviously to use the computer they can't turn it around, hence it looks like they're recording themselves.

lawleypop likes this.
Old 10-03-2009 at 01:01 PM   #142
Duarch

Liked: 19 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanel View Post
On an unrelated note, a thought occurred to me regarding people filming themselves in class. I don't own a macbook so I can't be sure, but perhaps they're using the webcam as a cheap way to record what the professor is saying? Obviously to use the computer they can't turn it around, hence it looks like they're recording themselves.
That's what I was originally thinking what people mentioned people filming. I thought that you could turn the camera thingy around (like flip it) but I think I was thinking about a model of phone...

Recording lectures is illegal isn't it? Or against... some university code? But isn't voice recording allowed?
Old 10-03-2009 at 01:13 PM   #143
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 470 Times

When they're obviously making faces into the camera they aren't recording the lecture. Plus depending on where you're sitting the microphone probably isn't good enough for that.

That said I think you have to get permission to record lectures from the Professor. Some Professors say never, some say please ask in advance for permission. This is in regards to audio recording.

I don't think anyone tries to take a video of the lecture, there's no real point to that. You just might want the audio.
Old 10-03-2009 at 01:19 PM   #144
rrtt
Elite Member

Liked: 56 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duarch View Post
Recording lectures is illegal isn't it? Or against... some university code? But isn't voice recording allowed?
3/5 of my professors this term have told us that we can record their lectures. So, I wouldn’t think that it is illegal/against the university code.
Old 10-03-2009 at 01:44 PM   #145
Shanel

Liked: 150 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sew12 View Post
When they're obviously making faces into the camera they aren't recording the lecture. Plus depending on where you're sitting the microphone probably isn't good enough for that.
Well maybe they're just really narcissistic? I'm getting a weird mental image of someone going home and watching a video of themselves, all the while sporting the biggest shit-eating grin/smug face in the world.
Attached Images
File Type: gif emot-smug.gif (972 Bytes, 142 views)
Old 10-03-2009 at 01:58 PM   #146
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

Before Snow Leopard's new Quicktime that allows audio recordings, I assume that it would be easiest to make an iMovie recording on your Mac to capture the lecture.

I record profs that speak super fast and usually if a professor really doesn't want his material recorded, he clearly specifies so in the syllabus.

As for Photo Booth, I use it to check my hair to make sure I haven't gotten off the bus and re-tied it in a way that makes me look bald (you know, when you pull and tie it the wrong way?)

But I try not to be obvious about it and shove the window to the side so that I can only see the top of my head.

I plan to record a movie one day to send to a friend because there's no way they could come to Mac to see it for themselves. If it's only my face and I minimize the window so that neither you nor I need to see me facing my face, there shouldn't be a massive problem.

I suppose I'm my own weird thing in class.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 10-03-2009 at 03:52 PM   #147
samikas

Liked: 4 Times

OMG, I'm going to a Childs lecture, just to experience this....
Old 10-03-2009 at 04:42 PM   #148
manaya

Liked: 26 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by samikas View Post
OMG, I'm going to a Childs lecture, just to experience this....
it would be completely worth ur time =)

Old 10-03-2009 at 05:05 PM   #149
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duarch View Post
That's what I was originally thinking what people mentioned people filming. I thought that you could turn the camera thingy around (like flip it) but I think I was thinking about a model of phone...

If people are using their camera to record it's quite silly.

They can use Quicktime, or notebook mode in MS office for Mac (which has an audio recorder).
Old 10-03-2009 at 06:31 PM   #150
Entropy
Splice onto Arcane

Liked: 974 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
LMAO.

Kay, if you said that to me like 4 days ago, I wouldn't have known what it meant.

Hi Stephen. I thought you were a girl. The pink signature threw me off. XD
My sig is a snippet of my message history, and there's a single line that's pink, and it's not even said by me. I don't deny my femininity though, I'm guilty of watching Gossip Girl semi-religiously. =\

But yeah, hey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowpuppy View Post
Sorry, I already beat you to it.
Does it count as an introduction if it was part of a debate? =p

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Marlowe View Post
Glad to see you've picked up on my mad introduction skillz ;D.
I learned from the best.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=5569077 8273

^more Childs group advertising

Also, I checked out the 1Z04 course calandar, and I think he might actually do L'Hopital's Rule on my birthday. This just works so well: I'd normally have a lab during that timeframe, but there are no labs because of Thanksgiving weekend, so I can go to his lecture.

I'm totally bringing a camera and filming as much as I can; getting that excellent line on film would be the ultimate birthday present.

My own weird things story? Uh...well, in Childs' second-term Calc last year, a friend was eating an orange, and I found myself drifting in and out of attention, so I got out a Swiss Army knife and starting carving an integral out of an orange peel. I decided it looked alright, so I did pi too. After a few more requests and some help from my friends, I ended up with this:

Carving a dx was especially tricky, since I had to carve it out of a single chunk of orange peel without breaking it.

Last edited by Entropy : 10-03-2009 at 06:33 PM.

Harlequin, jachill, manu, ~*Sara*~ like this.