MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Weird Food Combinations You've Had AdelaisAer Body & Food 10 10-03-2010 12:16 AM
Is it weird that some new books are cheaper than used? sinthusized General Discussion 7 09-11-2009 08:45 PM
Getting Weird Calls on Campus Phone johnaa General Discussion 7 01-23-2009 08:14 PM
weird question!! ishk33 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 08-28-2008 12:48 PM
weird but true!!!! joset2 General Discussion 1 06-14-2007 02:52 PM

Weird things in class

Old 10-02-2009 at 07:15 PM   #106
myoozik

Liked: 42 Times

Uhhh guys, the use of "Asian" has been quite vague and annoyingly offensive (I can't help it, I guess I'm a prude). When you call someone Asian, they could be from anywhere IN ASIA. This means anywhere within the boundaries of ASIA - i.e. India is in Asia, Korea is in Asia.

I get that you guys are being observant, and I'm all for it, but being an Asian myself who does not necessarily adhere to what you've been seeing Asians do on campus, it seems a little unfair to be generalizing.

This is probably a non-issue, but it's starting to get uncomfortable.

Last edited by myoozik : 10-02-2009 at 11:19 PM.
Old 10-02-2009 at 07:15 PM   #107
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 360 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowpuppy View Post

This is exactly what I'm talking about. I was trying to provide insight as to *WHY* they might want to segregate themselves, and to show you that their intent may not be as offensive as you make it out to be. Yet you're refusing to believe that it's anything other than a case of racism.

There's a word for that. Racism.
I respectfully disagree with your notion that you were trying to do that! You were just pepper spraying us with the most random arguments. Its like Manatees and Family guy :S

Plus wasn't it you who said its not "racism" and its "culturalism?"(I guess it implies Ethnicity?) Then you are calling her racist? What is going on? :S Read the first line here

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

lawleypop likes this.
Old 10-02-2009 at 07:19 PM   #108
huzaifa47

Quote:
Originally Posted by myoozik View Post
Uhhh guys, the use of "Asian" has been quite vague and annoyingly offensive (I can't help it, I guess I'm a prude). When you call someone Asian, they could be from anywhere IN ASIA. This means anywhere within the boundaries of ASIA - i.e. India is in Asia, Korea is in Asia, Indonesia is in Asia. So if you're going to refer to a group of people (and apparently, be bold and point out what they like to do).

I get that you guys are being observant, and I'm all for it, but being an Asian myself who does not necessarily adhere to what you've been seeing Asians do on campus, it seems a little unfair to be generalizing.

http://www.mail-archive.com/mythfolk.../msg01754.html

I did though specify in an earlier post that there are people exempt from this generalization! It is sadly a necessary thing atleast from my perspective as a Sociology student!
p.s: Asian as a word these days generally refers to people from the Far east! South Asian(Indian Subcontinent) people generally call themselves brown. Middle Easterns call themselves Arab. Iranians never call themselves Arab even though its the same region, instead they call themselves Persian. Even though all of these countries are in "Asia" They are never called Asians.

Old 10-02-2009 at 07:21 PM   #109
Duarch

Liked: 19 Times

Hey I've been following this and have a few points

1) I've noticed that asians DO tend to segregate themselves. An example is the clubs. Most cultural clubs welcome members of all races to join them. However, I've seen that many asian posters (for club meetings or something) are written IN asian - effectively preventing people who cannot read asian (or have asian friends) to come to those events. I haven't seen this in any other club (corrent me if I'm wrong).

2) Perhaps as a pre-made group, the koreans did not want to separate from the people they knew well which is why they deemed it "asians vs. non-asians", however they could have easily just said that they would prefer to remain together and have had extra people added (asian or non-asian). But in that case, you would probably see the case of the asians passing to each other exclusively (either because they don't want to pass to other non-asians or because they're too familar with themselves). I think that this soccer example might not be the best case to use to show asian segregation because it was, after all, one group of korean soccer players who kept to themselves from the beginning.

3) I am brown, I have a brown group of friends. However, in high school my group was mostly asian (korean, chinese, a few brown people). They didn't talk chinese at school too often and I found that they had no trouble mixing in with non-asians. But they were born or mostly raised in Canada. Those who came to Canada recently were usually introduced by asian friends to our group or to non-asians. So I think that an asian helping a newly arrived asian become friends with non-asian people could really help the transition.

4) Erm.. I know I had more to say, I will just reply to your random posts. But how did we get from weird things in class to this? One thing I saw was a guy falling asleep in a class with 29 people. Lol these other guys were thinking about throwing little paper balls at him (I believe they knew him) and the prof didn't do anything (which I found surprising).
Old 10-02-2009 at 07:22 PM   #110
reeves
Jedi IRL

Liked: 557 Times

Quote:
Uhhh guys, the use of "Asian" has been quite vague and annoyingly offensive (I can't help it, I guess I'm a prude). When you call someone Asian, they could be from anywhere IN ASIA. This means anywhere within the boundaries of ASIA - i.e. India is in Asia, Korea is in Asia, Indonesia is in Asia. So if you're going to refer to a group of people (and apparently, be bold and point out what they like to do).

"Uhhh guys, the use of "Asian" has been quite vague and annoyingly offensive " followed by " but being an Asian myself"

I lol'd

Just trying to lighten the mood

camais, Duarch, huzaifa47, jachill like this.
Old 10-02-2009 at 07:23 PM   #111
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 470 Times

Can we get back on topic. Asians aren't weird things in class, there's lots of asians at Mac.

Duarch, huzaifa47, lawleypop, Lois like this.
Old 10-02-2009 at 07:25 PM   #112
huzaifa47

(Viewer discretion is advised!)

Last edited by huzaifa47 : 10-02-2009 at 07:29 PM.
Old 10-02-2009 at 07:25 PM   #113
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sew12 View Post
Can we get back on topic. Asians aren't weird things in class, there's lots of asians at Mac.
People are really funny today. First Reeves, now you.

Or maybe the midterm fumes are getting to me. XD

@Myoozik: Fair enough. I think for the sake of saving-time, we were using Asians to refer to Koreans and Chinese.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 10-02-2009 at 07:25 PM   #114
Duarch

Liked: 19 Times

Quote:

Lol I used to get all sensitive about people calling Asian people Asians (as I am Indian, technically I am asian). In this case, I believe we are talking about East Asians (although a lot of brown people group together too). I just get used to people calling me brown.
Old 10-02-2009 at 07:32 PM   #115
Entropy
Splice onto Arcane

Liked: 974 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
I've never had an asian introduce themselves to me.
yo lawleypop, i'm real proud of you and imma let you finish, but

Hi, I'm Stephen. And I just broke your statistic.

Equinox likes this.
Old 10-02-2009 at 07:32 PM   #116
TTHX

Liked: 62 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
1) I do not count them. But I can say with certainty that I've had at least 1 "type" of every person except for asian, be friendly towards me.
2) I do not consider McMaster predominently white. O_O Maybe you do, but I certainly don't think it is. I think I've met/talked to more non-white people than I have white people. But as I've said (repeating myself again), from my experiences at McMac, they stay in their bubble. And yes, they may have a language barrier, but for how long is that excuse valid?
Yeah this isn't back on topic, but I find it real interesting. Here we were just discussing observations, and some have taken their own personal experiences to base their generalization off of.

I certainly do not believe that it is fair to say that simply because an asian person has not come up and said anything to you.

I've never had a white person introduce themselves to me, and when I go talk to them, they tend to ignore or cut conversation short. :S

I think we're looking too much into the race. People will go towards those that have something in similar. Whether it be language, culture, what sports they play, or whatever.

Psyer likes this.
Old 10-02-2009 at 07:36 PM   #117
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropy View Post
yo lawleypop, i'm real proud of you and imma let you finish, but

Hi, I'm Stephen. And I just broke your statistic.
LMAO.

Kay, if you said that to me like 4 days ago, I wouldn't have known what it meant.

Hi Stephen. I thought you were a girl. The pink signature threw me off. XD

Old 10-02-2009 at 07:39 PM   #118
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTHX View Post
Yeah this isn't back on topic, but I find it real interesting. Here we were just discussing observations, and some have taken their own personal experiences to base their generalization off of.

I certainly do not believe that it is fair to say that simply because an asian person has not come up and said anything to you.

I've never had a white person introduce themselves to me, and when I go talk to them, they tend to ignore or cut conversation short. :S

I think we're looking too much into the race. People will go towards those that have something in similar. Whether it be language, culture, what sports they play, or whatever.
Fair enough. But, do you not agree that it's better that I take my own personal experiences to make these assumptions than to make these assumptions without ANY sort of justification? The way I see it, at least I give people a chance. =P

I have agreed for the past few pages that people will go towards people they can relate to. There's nothing wrong with this. I do it, you do it, everyone does it.

But I go outside my bubble. I think other people should too. I just don't see too many other people doing it.

Old 10-02-2009 at 07:42 PM   #119
huzaifa47

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTHX View Post

I think we're looking too much into the race.

Its: ETHNICITY PLEAAASEE :(

Old 10-02-2009 at 07:44 PM   #120
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by huzaifa47 View Post
Its: ETHNICITY PLEAAASEE :(
You and your damn Wiki.
XD