MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Weird Food Combinations You've Had AdelaisAer Body & Food 10 10-03-2010 12:16 AM
Is it weird that some new books are cheaper than used? sinthusized General Discussion 7 09-11-2009 08:45 PM
Getting Weird Calls on Campus Phone johnaa General Discussion 7 01-23-2009 08:14 PM
weird question!! ishk33 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 08-28-2008 12:48 PM
weird but true!!!! joset2 General Discussion 1 06-14-2007 02:52 PM

Weird things in class

Old 10-02-2009 at 07:52 PM   #121
Duarch

Liked: 19 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTHX View Post
Yeah this isn't back on topic, but I find it real interesting. Here we were just discussing observations, and some have taken their own personal experiences to base their generalization off of.

I certainly do not believe that it is fair to say that simply because an asian person has not come up and said anything to you.

I've never had a white person introduce themselves to me, and when I go talk to them, they tend to ignore or cut conversation short. :S

I think we're looking too much into the race. People will go towards those that have something in similar. Whether it be language, culture, what sports they play, or whatever.
I understand your point but if you were in a group project, wouldn't you assume that the other members in your group would say "hi I'm blah" unless you knew each other already? I haven't actually had an asian in a group project of mine in university.. (wow, weird) but I'd assume that some will introduce themselves (most likely the ones more used to our culture) while some will avoid that at all costs - probably avoid being in the group with you. WAIT I just realized that yes I have been in a group with an asian, his friend introduced him to me (he was writing something) but he was speaking to me very friend-i-ly. I just think that it might be a problem for more recently in Canada asians because of their comfort with other asian people.

AHA my point that I forgot earlier: Asians will obviously be more comfortable around other Asians and if those Asians don't hang out with a lot of non-Asians, then the previous Asians will get "too" comfortable around Asians to the point that they don't want to interact with people who are not Asian - it is now out of their comfort zone.
Old 10-02-2009 at 09:08 PM   #122
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 470 Times

Enough about asians already.

What about those "ask too many questions" people in class? You know the one I'm taking about. They won't stfu and it drives you insane. Weird, wth is up with those people? Most of their questions/comments aren't relevant and make the prof go off-topic.

Lois likes this.
Old 10-02-2009 at 09:11 PM   #123
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sew12 View Post

What about those "ask too many questions" people in class? You know the one I'm taking about. They won't stfu and it drives you insane. Weird, wth is up with those people? Most of their questions/comments aren't relevant and make the prof go off-topic.
Or the people that try to pick fights with the professor. I swear in one of my summer school courses, we were ready to duct tape someone's mouth shut.
Old 10-02-2009 at 09:23 PM   #124
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sew12 View Post

Got one of those kids in my math tutorial. ****ing irritating as hell.

"If this and this and this and that and then this happens, will this be the result?"

Gonna shoot him one day. >_<

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 10-02-2009 at 09:26 PM   #125
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 470 Times

I don't know how to put this but errr, stupid people in tutorial. For like History in first year I found the most of this (they probably failed out after that).

You know the people who say the most stupid, factually unsound things. It's like they completely fabricated a piece of history and are asking about it.

I specifically remember in this one tutorial in first year, it wasn't History but it was another class and we were discussing something and this girl said something about Hitler/WWII and it was so off base and incorrect, I almost died.

I really hate to be an elitist but really dumb people drive me insane.

lawleypop likes this.
Old 10-02-2009
Lois
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 10-02-2009 at 09:55 PM   #126
Fight0
Elite Member

Liked: 141 Times

My favorite class moment was when a girl told Dr. Childs to shut up about his elaborate stories and just teach statistics. The whole class booed her and she left in embarrassment.

manaya, myoozik like this.
Old 10-02-2009 at 09:56 PM   #127
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fight0 View Post
My favorite class moment was when a girl told Dr. Childs to shut up about his elaborate stories and just teach statistics. The whole class booed her and she left in embarrassment.
LMFAO, EPIC.

Man I need this teacher.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 10-02-2009 at 09:59 PM   #128
cowpuppy

Liked: 14 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by huzaifa47 View Post
Plus wasn't it you who said its not "racism" and its "culturalism?"(I guess it implies Ethnicity?) Then you are calling her racist? What is going on? :S Read the first line here
I'm saying that making things an issue of "race" when there are other issues involved, is a bit racist, yes. Which is the general point of what I'm trying to say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by myoozik View Post
Uhhh guys, the use of "Asian" has been quite vague and annoyingly offensive (I can't help it, I guess I'm a prude). When you call someone Asian, they could be from anywhere IN ASIA. This means anywhere within the boundaries of ASIA - i.e. India is in Asia, Korea is in Asia, Indonesia is in Asia. So if you're going to refer to a group of people (and apparently, be bold and point out what they like to do).
Semantics, dude. White people aren't actually white. Black people aren't black. It's just a name.

Don't try to be politically correct, because people who do usually end up sounding more offensive.

It's like the term "African-American". Um, not all people who are "African-American" are African or American.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropy View Post
yo lawleypop, i'm real proud of you and imma let you finish, but

Hi, I'm Stephen. And I just broke your statistic.
Sorry, I already beat you to it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Final word: There's more to it than "race"/ethnicity.

@lawleypop: You should not be offended/insulted by people who have legitimate reasons for behaving the way they behave, regardless of ethnicity.
Old 10-02-2009 at 09:59 PM   #129
Afzal
Android Dev

Liked: 414 Times

Quote:
oh shit! that happened??? WHEN!?! lol

btw, i am always comfortable talking to people of any ethnicity...the only problem is, i will talk through the whole class solving whenever they face a problem, i just don't know when to introduce so i leave without even knowing names

and secondly, it's because i'm never sure about who to make friends with...so that's another matter

and, i have only introduced myself to 1 pakistani guy....and lots of people from other ethnicities, but not any asians
Old 10-02-2009 at 10:06 PM   #130
Fight0
Elite Member

Liked: 141 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afzal View Post
oh shit! that happened??? WHEN!?! lol
2 years ago. It was a memorable occasion to say the least.
Old 10-02-2009 at 10:13 PM   #131
JEFF_CHAN
Forum Creeper

Liked: 454 Times

*skims through topic*

OH DEAR GAWD, WHAT HAVE I CREATED!? D:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afzal View Post
and, i have only introduced myself to 1 pakistani guy....and lots of people from other ethnicities, but not any asians
I'm clearly not not-Asian though. >__>
Old 10-02-2009 at 10:18 PM   #132
Afzal
Android Dev

Liked: 414 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFF_CHAN View Post
*skims through topic*

OH DEAR GAWD, WHAT HAVE I CREATED!? D:

I'm clearly not not-Asian though. >__>
lmao :p crap i forgot jeff

umm. i was trying to remember asian names that i know of and i didnt so i assumed
Old 10-02-2009 at 10:38 PM   #133
JEFF_CHAN
Forum Creeper

Liked: 454 Times

I'm very forgettable.
Old 10-02-2009 at 10:43 PM   #134
reeves
Jedi IRL

Liked: 557 Times

Quote:
Not related to the topic at all, but a prof story: I walked into Greek class today, and Dr McLean was talking about a monkey skull he bought on eBay that was confiscated by the US government on some technicality. When one of the students asked "why would you want a monkey skull anyway?" his repsonse was "thats like asking why someone would want sunshine, or rainbows, or orgasms". That totally made my day.

lawleypop, manu like this.