MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Weird Food Combinations You've Had AdelaisAer Body & Food 10 10-03-2010 12:16 AM
Is it weird that some new books are cheaper than used? sinthusized General Discussion 7 09-11-2009 08:45 PM
Getting Weird Calls on Campus Phone johnaa General Discussion 7 01-23-2009 08:14 PM
weird question!! ishk33 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 08-28-2008 12:48 PM
weird but true!!!! joset2 General Discussion 1 06-14-2007 02:52 PM

Weird things in class

Old 10-02-2009 at 04:18 PM   #76
Entropy
Splice onto Arcane

Liked: 974 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taunton View Post
Asians on campus are always hanging out together... I might even to go so far as to suggest that Asians on campus tend to hang out exclusively with other Asians moreso than other ethnic groups tend to hang out exclusively with others of their own background.
I won't deny it, but in their (our?) defense, there's a rather large communication barrier between them and the rest of the school, or even between them and CBCs. That's "Canadian-born Chinese" to those who don't know, but I think it can be extrapolated to apply to all Asians.

It's only natural to communicate with people who can understand you, and despite our community being quite accepting, it's just easier to befriend people you can have a nice conversation with. Plus, being able to share similar stories of how you came to be at Mac must be nice too.

You just notice Asians the most because not only do they seem to be the loudest (sometimes obnoxiously so), but there's just a large number of them.

I'm sure that if the roles were reversed and you were an international student studying in Hong Kong or something, you'd seek out fellow English-speakers too. I know I would.

Notice that for the most part, this doesn't apply to fluent English-speaking Asians.
Old 10-02-2009 at 04:37 PM   #77
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

One really annoying thing some retard seems to always do in my classes when people are "being loud" is that thing where you stick too fingers in your mouth and blow, causing an extremely high pitched whistle.

I have yet to identify who the one doing this is, but I hope they ****ing die.

Aside from that, I've noticed that every class seems to have that one guy with the annoying laugh that laughs at absolutely everything the professor says.
Old 10-02-2009 at 04:42 PM   #78
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 470 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katia View Post
A lot of my classes are like 20-30 people classes.... and everyone has a name card.... and I have friend requests on facebook from 5 people in the class, including the TA and the prof... I find that REALLY weird.

Also people who talk about irrelevant things in class discussion during a 3 hour class..making it go the full 3 hours coz of their stupid stories...

Oh and I remmeber in second year in stats or accounting or something, there were these 3 girls that would always be watching The Hills on their laptop...
I really don't care about that, but when all 3 of them were trying to peek into the one laptop....got a bit annoying after a few episodes..
Maybe its just b/c I'm in a small program where all the classes are 30 or less but I don't find it that weird. I get friend requests from people in my program all the time, or I add them. Maybe that's just b/c we have pretty much all our classes together and just all know each other or something though. LOL Profs who have Facebook have told the class they can add them on FBook too. With TAs you can usually add them (if you want, I don't) after they're no longer your TA.

Oh man people who watch TV shows/movies on their laptops w/ headphones in are the worst. If you're on like Facebook or playing a game you can at least still listen and take in some of the lecture material. What exactly is the point of watching a movie/tv show with headphones in the lecture, then you're not looking at the board or listening or taking in anything. You can stay home/in your room and watch TV.
Old 10-02-2009 at 05:23 PM   #79
TTHX

Liked: 62 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taunton View Post
Asians on campus are always hanging out together... I might even to go so far as to suggest that Asians on campus tend to hang out exclusively with other Asians moreso than other ethnic groups tend to hang out exclusively with others of their own background.
i see this for every ethnic group.

i'm asian myself and even try to talk to other asians, but as another has said there is sometimes a language barrier. but for the most part i grew up in a dominantly white city and just wanted to get to know some more other asians, definitely not exclusively
Old 10-02-2009 at 05:37 PM   #80
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 360 Times

Well the thing about Asians is really true! It is something I notice and think about as a sociologist on a daily basis! But I try not to mention it because alot of people confuse Ethnic cultural Differences with "Racism"(they are two completely different terms!); As shown by Lawley-C's Sarcasm above!

The Asian people have a different dressing sense, Alot of designer consumer spending(which is something huge in Japan and Hong Kong as well!). You will hardly see any Asians dressed up like slouches like most of us(loose hoodies/trackpants). But the main difference is their tendency to adhere to their language and culture even if they have spent more then 2 years in Canada! There is a reason we have specefic courses about Asian Culture in the department of Cultural Studies because it is a very rich and distinct culture!

I mean I came to Canada in 2008 but I have since then tried to integrate with they way of life in Canada; but maybe I found it easier since the school I went to was an upper class one where people had a good idea of Western Culture?

There still are South Asian and Arab(Especially the Assyrians and other distinct minorities) people who are similar in nature and hang out together in and around Mills/Student Center but it is a much smaller number and plus they mostly talk in English!

Also unlike the USA there are less efforts by the overall power structure of society to mold the immigrants into the "American way of life", Canada accepts differences and allows people to follow their culture.

But it can be awkward at times, especially when they choose not to speak English most of the time and it becomes increasingly awkward during group assignments. The Asians in my groups have been the most shiest and un communicative; even though they were talking freely amongst themselves. Similarly you can find the Asians hanging out together in and around Mills/MUSC with usually no non-asian people in that. But this last point is almost entirely towards the more recent immigrants; the Canadian born Asians DO tend to hang out with other people!

But what made me cringe one day was a random soccer pickup game where usually we have people from ALL sorts of backgrounds coming together and having and awesome time then one day this group of Koreans who NEVER played with the larger group and always had their own tiny thing going on in some far off field had to join us because the Frisbee league took over most fields. They actually came up and said "Asian vs the rest" and all of them left huddled up in a corner and even invited the asians who usually played with us(they were chinese I think) to their lot. All of us White/Black/Brown people were like :O

The point of this story is: We didn't like it; we found it so offensive that a couple of the people started cracking racist jokes and wanted to "teach them a lesson". Infact I am pretty certain most of the people in the NonAsian lot were playing twice as hard because it was no longer a random fun pickup game....
See how racism emerges?

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Old 10-02-2009 at 06:05 PM   #81
cowpuppy

Liked: 14 Times

It's not racism, it's "culture-ism".

I don't see why this is surprising in any way. People tend to seek out others who share similar lifestyles, which in many cases means people with the same ethnicity as you.
Old 10-02-2009 at 06:15 PM   #82
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by huzaifa47 View Post
Well the thing about Asians is really true! It is something I notice and think about as a sociologist on a daily basis! But I try not to mention it because alot of people confuse Ethnic cultural Differences with "Racism"(they are two completely different terms!); As shown by Lawley-C's Sarcasm above!

The Asian people have a different dressing sense, Alot of designer consumer spending(which is something huge in Japan and Hong Kong as well!). You will hardly see any Asians dressed up like slouches like most of us(loose hoodies/trackpants). But the main difference is their tendency to adhere to their language and culture even if they have spent more then 2 years in Canada! There is a reason we have specefic courses about Asian Culture in the department of Cultural Studies because it is a very rich and distinct culture!

I mean I came to Canada in 2008 but I have since then tried to integrate with they way of life in Canada; but maybe I found it easier since the school I went to was an upper class one where people had a good idea of Western Culture?

There still are South Asian and Arab(Especially the Assyrians and other distinct minorities) people who are similar in nature and hang out together in and around Mills/Student Center but it is a much smaller number and plus they mostly talk in English!

Also unlike the USA there are less efforts by the overall power structure of society to mold the immigrants into the "American way of life", Canada accepts differences and allows people to follow their culture.

But it can be awkward at times, especially when they choose not to speak English most of the time and it becomes increasingly awkward during group assignments. The Asians in my groups have been the most shiest and un communicative; even though they were talking freely amongst themselves. Similarly you can find the Asians hanging out together in and around Mills/MUSC with usually no non-asian people in that. But this last point is almost entirely towards the more recent immigrants; the Canadian born Asians DO tend to hang out with other people!

But what made me cringe one day was a random soccer pickup game where usually we have people from ALL sorts of backgrounds coming together and having and awesome time then one day this group of Koreans who NEVER played with the larger group and always had their own tiny thing going on in some far off field had to join us because the Frisbee league took over most fields. They actually came up and said "Asian vs the rest" and all of them left huddled up in a corner and even invited the asians who usually played with us(they were chinese I think) to their lot. All of us White/Black/Brown people were like :O

The point of this story is: We didn't like it; we found it so offensive that a couple of the people started cracking racist jokes and wanted to "teach them a lesson". Infact I am pretty certain most of the people in the NonAsian lot were playing twice as hard because it was no longer a random fun pickup game....
See how racism emerges?
I agree with you on some points here. If that had happened to me (the soccer part), I would be PISSED. Why do people have to segregate themselves like that? I always hear people complaining about it, but they only bring it upon themselves. ._. Like, did they find the non-korean people so disgusting that they couldn't even play a simple and fun game WITH them?

Why come to Canada if you're not going to mingle with the Canadian folk? Like why do you stay in your bubble? I hate Hamilton and still try to go out and about. Hell, I even go to the place I got mugged because I HAVE to because it's the only way I know to get home.

I don't care if you speak your own language, hell, I wish I could speak french whenever the hell I wanted. But with these ****ing group projects, where they don't say a single word or contribute anything but they can manage to have a ****ing 50 minute long dialogue between themselves. It's fustrating.

I wouldn't go to Hong Kong, or Japan, or WHATEVER without knowing the language. And yea, I would look for white folk like myself to try and lessen the culture shock, but I wouldn't completely shun myself from EVERYONE ELSE who lives there. It just doesn't make sense to me. >_<

At some point, I almost think it would be better to force these people into accepting the "Canadian" or the "American" way of life. Because from everything I've experienced so far (don't have too much experience with non-white people, coming from my town), we try to accept them or let them bring their culture here, and they just shun themselves from the rest of us anyways. (Yea, I realize the flame war that will ensue from this last paragraph).

Bah.

/endrant.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Last edited by lawleypop : 10-02-2009 at 06:17 PM. Reason: typos
Old 10-02-2009 at 06:18 PM   #83
cowpuppy

Quote:
See how racism emerges?
Again, it's a cultural thing. Koreans to soccer are what Americans are to say...baseball, or what French are to cooking.

If you're really so offended, I wouldn't suggest challenging any Koreans to a game of Starcraft or pencil-twirling either.
Old 10-02-2009 at 06:20 PM   #84
huzaifa47

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
At some point, I almost think it would be better to force these people into accepting the "Canadian" or the "American" way of life. Because from everything I've experienced so far (don't have too much experience with non-white people, coming from my town), we try to accept them or let them bring their culture here, and they just shun themselves from the rest of us anyways.

Bah.

/endrant.
Oh god.....What's Ironic is that I just had a guest Lecture in Sociology exploring/AGAINST that very notion by Nathan Glazer From Harvard! I don't think we should do that at all! "Live and Let live" should be the correct philosophy. The Canadian Charter Of Freedom is MUCH much more humane and better then the American one and that is exactly why we have such a less conflict based society. I can go on about this but you wouldn't understand unless you were at that lecture or have taken a course regarding Race and Ethnic Relation. But Forcing people only makes the problem worse. They have every right to their culture.

Old 10-02-2009 at 06:21 PM   #85
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowpuppy View Post
Again, it's a cultural thing. Koreans to soccer are what Americans are to say...baseball, or what French are to cooking.

If you're really so offended, I wouldn't suggest challenging any Koreans to a game of Starcraft or pencil-twirling either.
He didn't challenge them. They intruded on their soccer game because other people took their regular field and then they're the ones who turned it into a less friendly game by immediately saying "azns vs the rest." o_O

I think the point is, no one would have minded if they came over and just wanted to play. The point is to have fun. We've all seen the people playing soccer in the fields in front of BSB and JHE. But when they come over and immediately segregated the game and acted like king shit, that's where the problem emerges.

Old 10-02-2009 at 06:23 PM   #86
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Quote:
Oh god.....What's Ironic is that I just had a guest Lecture in Sociology exploring/AGAINST that very notion by Nathan Glazer From Harvard! I don't think we should do that at all! "Live and Let live" should be the correct philosophy. The Canadian Charter Of Freedom is MUCH much more humane and better then the American one and that is exactly why we have such a less conflict based society. I can go on about this but you wouldn't understand unless you were at that lecture or have taken a course regarding Race and Ethnic Relation. But Forcing people only makes the problem worse. They have every right to their culture.
Actually, what I find is insulting is when you tell me that "I won't understand something." How about you try me? Goodness, that's irritating. I can't understand something because I haven't taken a specific course in it? Is that a serious statement?

Obviously you missed something in my post. I acknowledged the fact that they have every right to their culture. It's like you just ignored the entire rest of my post.

I'm not suggesting we do it, but when we accept them and they do nothing but shun us, then theoretically, the exact opposite of us accepting them should make them realize our presence.

And by our presence, I mean the other Canadians living in this country.

Old 10-02-2009 at 06:25 PM   #87
huzaifa47

Quote:

You don't get the point here do you?

I'm making a general point(I guess I should have used some sort of indicator around the word racism) that one of the reason "racism"(I.e: I use this word because that is the generally used word for any thing that comes under these notions; even though it is inaccurate)emerges is because of so and so reason.

We never challenged them or anything; We actually welcomed them into our random collection of people from all over the world. Soccer is a sport that thrives and prides on its notion of being a worldwide sport that unites everyone together. There are countless studies about its uniting factors and Articles in magazines about how people who don't even speak the same language at all can play together without any hitches; it is a beautiful notion.

It is hence against the spirit of the game itself that a group comes in and segregates itself from everyone. That is why we were offended. The same lot has been playing all summer and has equally accepted people of all ages(we have 50 year olds playing) backgrounds and skill levels without prejudice or refusing to let anyone play!

You seem to have no clue whatsoever of what you are talking about cowpuppy. What does your Baseball/Cooking analogy have to do with anything?

Last edited by huzaifa47 : 10-02-2009 at 06:28 PM.
Old 10-02-2009 at 06:28 PM   #88
cowpuppy

Quote:
He didn't challenge them. They intruded on their soccer game because other people took their regular field and then they're the ones who turned it into a less friendly game by immediately saying "azns vs the rest." o_O

I think the point is, no one would have minded if they came over and just wanted to play. The point is to have fun. We've all seen the people playing soccer in the fields in front of BSB and JHE. But when they come over and immediately segregated the game and acted like king shit, that's where the problem emerges.
Sounds like the problem has more to do with the fact that a group of people hijacked their soccer game.
Old 10-02-2009 at 06:29 PM   #89
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Quote:
Sounds like the problem has more to do with the fact that a group of people hijacked their soccer game.
No, I highly doubt that. Anyone can go in and play. Have you not tried it? I suggest you do. I've never seen those people tell someone "no you can't play."

The problem is (as I JUST posted), they came in acting like king shit, ****ed everything around, and suddenly made it an asian vs the world thing. Instead of just "let's all play soccer!" If you don't even comprehend this logic, then this debate is at one hell of a stalemate.

huzaifa47 says thanks to lawleypop for this post.
Old 10-02-2009 at 06:31 PM   #90
cowpuppy

Quote:

I'm not suggesting we do it, but when we accept them and they do nothing but shun us, then theoretically, the exact opposite of us accepting them should make them realize our presence.
Shun? Are you sure that's the verb you want to use? Are you sure that's what they are doing? Because there's a big difference between some immigrant coming to this country and crapping all over it's culture, and an immigrant coming to this country and being reluctant to assimilate with the culture because he/she has difficulty relating to it.