MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Laptop processor differences and Laptop opinions **jewel 03** Computers & Tech 42 10-30-2010 03:43 PM
$35 Laptop! blackdragon Computers & Tech 14 07-23-2010 11:38 PM
Laptop Necessary? fall3n Computers & Tech 25 07-05-2010 05:52 PM
Laptop? kanishka General Discussion 51 07-03-2009 08:40 PM

Which Laptop??

Old 07-04-2009 at 03:19 PM   #31
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmzz View Post
I have a question regarding engineering. In first year we have ENG 1D04. It is a C# programming course. I have been told we also dabble in the linux kernel, and install unix/linux OS's while customizing the kernel. Is this correct?
Whoever told that to you was lying, lol, or weren't talking about 1D04. 1D04 is strictly for learning the basics of programming in C# and is really designed for anyone who's never even touched programming before.

In second year software engineering, however, I believe there is a course where you learn how to do procedural programming and learn how to screw around with the Unix operating system a little bit.

And to whoever asked if their computer is compatible with Unix; if your computer is capable of computing, it will be able to run Unix. Unix can run on virtually every computer processor.
Old 07-04-2009 at 03:21 PM   #32
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by goelk View Post
i wasn't talking about the tablet pcs...i am talking about the normal laptops...for tablet pcs hp or lenovo are probably the best...but build wise definitely dell is much much better!!
I don't even think those are too bad. My friend has an ordinary HP laptop, and it seems to work fine. The only thing I find weird about HP is their obsession with blue lights. There has got to be at least 10 super bright LED lights on my tablet pc...
Old 07-04-2009 at 03:24 PM   #33
kanishka
winning

Liked: 39 Times

i was talking about hp when compared to dell or macbook...but fine i guess everyone has there own point of view...so...peace!

bnixon10 likes this.
Old 07-04-2009 at 03:30 PM   #34
a-max

Liked: 0 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
The only thing I find weird about HP is their obsession with blue lights. There has got to be at least 10 super bright LED lights on my tablet pc...
Yeah, In sleep mode that thing can illuminate a dark room.

As for my HP Laptop, it does what its supposed to and I've had it for a year. No complaints except that when i'm running like 20 applications on vista with graphics settings maxed out, it gets a little too hot for comfort.

Get a Dell Mini 9. Those things are excellent and super cheap. You won't even notice the lack of a DVD drive...
Old 07-04-2009 at 03:43 PM   #35
TTHX

Liked: 62 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by a-max View Post
Yeah, In sleep mode that thing can illuminate a dark room.
SO annoying, especially when your room mate leaves his laptop on 24/7 and you never get complete darkness to sleep in.

I have a macbook pro and it's fantastic. The gesture controls make things so fast and easy it's great. And of course you can dual boot windows with it as well. Best of both worlds really. Yeah you do have to pay more, but I definitely think it is worth it.
I don't know what the fuss about right clicking is about, pretty sure apple has had that for several years now. On a macbook it'll be two fingers on the trackpad and a click of the button simultaneously.
Old 07-04-2009 at 03:44 PM   #36
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by goelk View Post
i was talking about hp when compared to dell or macbook...but fine i guess everyone has there own point of view...so...peace!
I would hardly call Dell better quality than HP. Everyone I know who owns the XPS isn't very pleased with it. Most dell laptops I've encountered also feel very loosely put together when you pick them up. And everyone knows, they throw in the cheapest parts to keep the price down :p.

As for MacBooks, those new ones look quite nice; especially the pro. The fact that it has a non-user replaceable battery kind of puts me off though...
Old 07-04-2009 at 04:00 PM   #37
reeves
Jedi IRL

Liked: 557 Times

Quote:
As for MacBooks, those new ones look quite nice; especially the pro. The fact that it has a non-user replaceable battery kind of puts me off though...
I work for Apple, as second level tech support. I was worried about that too at first. I thought to myself "Great. now instead of shipping a battery, ill have to set up repairs". But in the 4 months since the new MacBook Pros have come out, I have yet to get a call about any failed batteries on these models. Im sure they fail, but not like the previous models.
Old 07-04-2009 at 04:13 PM   #38
kanishka
winning

Quote:
I would hardly call Dell better quality than HP. Everyone I know who owns the XPS isn't very pleased with it. Most dell laptops I've encountered also feel very loosely put together when you pick them up. And everyone knows, they throw in the cheapest parts to keep the price down :p.

well apple says tht their battery can be recharged about a 1000 times which they claim can run for 4 years or so....anyways macbook pro backup is amazing giving upto 5 hours of backup...
Old 07-04-2009 at 04:26 PM   #39
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeves View Post
I work for Apple, as second level tech support. I was worried about that too at first. I thought to myself "Great. now instead of shipping a battery, ill have to set up repairs". But in the 4 months since the new MacBook Pros have come out, I have yet to get a call about any failed batteries on these models. Im sure they fail, but not like the previous models.
Ya, but what about when the battery just starts to suck? It says that it can take 1000 charge cycles, but only a certain amount of those cycles are going to hold 5 hours of power.

I don't like the idea of apple just assuming "Oh who cares about the battery... when it wares out, nobody will be using this computer anyway".

There taking this "lets make the computer simple!" a little too far in my opinion...
Old 07-04-2009 at 04:29 PM   #40
kanishka
winning

yeah...i guess thts one of the major cons of the new macbook pro apart from its super glossy screen!!
Old 07-04-2009 at 04:42 PM   #41
reeves
Jedi IRL

Liked: 557 Times

Quote:
Ya, but what about when the battery just starts to suck? It says that it can take 1000 charge cycles, but only a certain amount of those cycles are going to hold 5 hours of power.

I don't like the idea of apple just assuming "Oh who cares about the battery... when it wares out, nobody will be using this computer anyway".

There taking this "lets make the computer simple!" a little too far in my opinion...
True, Im just saying that so far, they're off to a much better start than the user replaceable ones.
Old 07-04-2009 at 04:43 PM   #42
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

I have a new Macbook Pro and I really enjoy it.
It's taking me a while to learn but I find that I already consider the system more reliable than Windows.
In terms of price, if you budget your money you can walk away with a Macbook Pro and iPod Touch for roughly $1500 after rebate.
You could buy a Macbook or refurbished Book for much less I assume.
If you watch the tutorials and read the books you'll be fine with a Mac

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 07-04-2009 at 04:44 PM   #43
kanishka
winning

wat abt its battery backup? how much do u get when just surfing the net?
Old 07-04-2009 at 04:45 PM   #44
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

I have my screen on minimum brightness to conserve battery life and because my eyes can't take the contrast. The glossiness is only a factor depending on if you don't adjust your screen properly. When you're reclining back you may find it more beneficial to tilt the screen too or you may find it fine to sit with it at a 90 degree angle to the keyboard

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 07-04-2009 at 04:47 PM   #45
kanishka
winning

but how many hours backup does it give u?