MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Obama/McCain VP picks? J-Met Politics 17 05-11-2009 10:20 PM
Residence 09/10 FJEAN Residence & Housing 6 01-28-2009 11:46 PM
The Residence Flu katie_batt General Discussion 9 09-19-2008 12:27 PM
Residence sherrysa Residence & Housing 91 07-15-2008 11:41 PM
Residence Ruggedman First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 07-03-2008 07:48 AM

Your Residence Picks?

Old 06-05-2008 at 12:17 AM   #226
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

Its the students more than the reps.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 06-12-2008 at 01:42 PM   #227
deadpool
X-Man

Liked: 394 Times

Stop fighting. Having been privy to many adventures on and off res, I believe I can make conclusive rankings of all the residences on campus.

1) McKay - small enough for coziness, large enough to meet people. CAs love it because of size and when you have cool CAs who like their environment, you have CAs who tend to take your side on matter *cough*. The 4 people to a bathroom thing is pretty much amazing PLUS tunnel access and closest to MUSC for winter months. Also, there is kinship amongst McKay alumni. We always understand each other quite well.

2) Hedden - a big one, newer than most, big brother of McKay in many things. I've always felt that Hedden and McKay had a more casual environment than other residences (Brandon being exception to any rule)

3) Brandon - you just can't go wrong with Brandon. There are so many people you're bound to find someone at any time.

4) Woodstock - Another proper medium sized res.

5) Les Prince - So nice. Also you can essentially watch football games from your room. Far from stuff though.

6) Whidden - Big, nice.

7) Matthews - HPA next year is pretty bomb hahahaha.

8) Edwards - Right next to Arts Quad/MUSC and other key buildings
9) Wally - See 8

10) Moulton - Never really grew to love Moulton.

11) Bates - Apartment style sucks, but Bates is lesser of 2 evils

12) Keyes - Horrible for first year, especially if you are trying to meet people. Great if you're upper year.

West Quad has an inherent disadvantage because they aren't near Commons, MUSC or the Gym. North quad what.
Old 06-12-2008 at 02:37 PM   #228
JBeans

Liked: 14 Times

West quad also has the advantage of being closer to the centre of campus. I lived in West Quad for 2 years because it was closer to BSB and JHE.
The Bistro is right in the west quad and it is also right by the bus terminal, so it's not as far that you have to drag your luggage (ie laundry) when you go home.
So the West Quad and North Quad each have their own advantages and disadvantages
Old 06-12-2008 at 04:26 PM   #229
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

N-o
R-t-h
North.
Quad.
What.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 06-12-2008 at 05:41 PM   #230
katie_batt

Liked: 9 Times

Ok, Is west quad seriously that bad? Because I kind of like the idea of north quad, but at the same time I really think taht i would do a lot better in an appartment style rez. I just feel like every where I look someone is bashing appatment rez and it makes me so worried!! help!!
Old 06-12-2008 at 06:16 PM   #231
Cippi

Liked: 1 Time

I don't think it's that people are bashing apartment-style, per se - they certainly have their advantages. But the big disadvantage is in terms of social atmosphere. I suspect that most of the upper-years who post on this board lived in the traditional-style residences in their first year, and wouldn't have had it any other way. I guess a lot of us are kind of hyper-social people :p If someone like that gets put in an apartment on a floor where people never leave their own place, they may hate it. I think a lot of people believe that the true "university experience" which people want to have in their first year just doesn't happen as well in apartment-style buildings, hence the discouragement of living in them. After first year, this completely changes - but for your first year, I don't think anything can compare to living in one of the traditional residences. That's not to say you won't have a good time in an apartment-style one, it's just...different. You may have to work harder to meet people, but it's also good for someone who values being able to retreat to their room and be reclusive for a while.

Last edited by Cippi : 06-12-2008 at 06:20 PM.
Old 06-12-2008 at 06:46 PM   #232
ferreinm
Elite Member

Liked: 120 Times

Good answer, Cippi!

A lot of people who lived in apt style res in first yr complained about it later or didn't fulfill that first year experience. You may prefer it but it definitely has its limitations. It's recommended that until you have a good network of friends its best living in traditional residences. Sure apt style Keyes is nice to look at and live in but the social aspect of traditional residence definitely outweighs keyes.
Old 06-12-2008 at 07:11 PM   #233
katie_batt

ok, then please give me your advice. I'm a pretty social person, definately do not plan on spending many friday and saturday nights alone next year. At the same time I really NEED a place to be alone from time to time, because I do get annoyed by people as most people do. I have a special accomidation form that says I require a single room, so if I go into traditional rez I will get a single room. Should I try to get traditional rez? my only dilemma is that I like the idea of having access to a kitchen and semi private bathroom and that, and also I like the idea of sharing a appartment with friends, I feel like you could get really realy close to those people. I dotn know, please sway me!! I'm going crazy!!
Old 06-12-2008 at 07:25 PM   #234
ferreinm
Elite Member

Whidden Hall!
Old 06-12-2008 at 07:30 PM   #235
ferreinm
Elite Member

Okay, serious time..
Apartment style- no.
If you need to live in a single that's cool. I don't blame you. I'm living in a single room too next year. Kitchen? You won't be using it. We have staff that make food for you. Also, if you ever decide to use the kitchen no one will be using it because .. well we have staff who are paid to make food for you. Do I recommend North Quad? Yes! Am I bias? Yes! But for your case, I really do recommend a traditional residence. private bathrooms lead to less socializing. you get used to showering around people. i was scared to death when I found out about whidden's showers. About 2 months later I got used to it. It's a new situation and everyones adjusting with you. it's fun it's awkward live it up a little in the north quad
Old 06-12-2008 at 07:37 PM   #236
katie_batt

thanks ferreinm, I think your probably right. I dont know what I would do if all 3 people living in my appartment were loners.... So can I have your opinion? which building should I choose (not whidden! lol) I'm on the fense between McKay, Hedden, and maybe Les Prince. I choose McKay and Hedden because they have bathtubs, which is a necessity for me. Which one is more fun , more convenient, has more spirit, etc! thanks soo much!!
Old 06-12-2008 at 07:40 PM   #237
ferreinm
Elite Member

i would say hedden but its nearly impossible to get hedden but you could try..
I applied for hedden when i was in first year but got whidden instead obviously lol
but of those three you mentioned id choose hedden
Old 06-12-2008 at 09:59 PM   #238
Eva C
Elite Member

Liked: 3 Times

hey katie_batt,

From what i've read so far about your situation, i think hedden or mckay would be a good choice for you. You still get the privacy you need if you are in single room but still able to socialize with others. The washrooms have bathtubes which you said you needed. Les Prince (which i lived in first year) resembles the experience of apartment style too because you have your own washroom you don't walk around in the halls very often for no reason, unless you are just going in and out of the building. It will take more effort to make friends too if you get that. and no bathtubes in les prince.

I think you would be happy with hedden or mckay! they seem like the best choices for you. good luck.
Old 06-12-2008
JBeans
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 06-12-2008 at 10:16 PM   #239
JBeans

Liked: 14 Times

Dont' forget that Matthews, Moulton and Wallingford are in West Quad and are traditional style.