MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Obama/McCain VP picks? J-Met Politics 17 05-11-2009 10:20 PM
Residence 09/10 FJEAN Residence & Housing 6 01-28-2009 11:46 PM
The Residence Flu katie_batt General Discussion 9 09-19-2008 12:27 PM
Residence sherrysa Residence & Housing 91 07-15-2008 11:41 PM
Residence Ruggedman First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 07-03-2008 07:48 AM

Your Residence Picks?

Old 06-02-2008 at 05:12 PM   #196
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biee View Post
um..im not really sure whats a double occupancy room..what does that mean? does that mean that there's no bathroom in a room but outside the room?
Double occupancy means two occupants aka a double room.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 06-02-2008 at 05:26 PM   #197
Biee

Liked: 1 Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorend View Post
Double occupancy means two occupants aka a double room.
So is there a shared washroom between the two? or the whole floor or something?
Old 06-02-2008 at 05:40 PM   #198
Eva C
Elite Member

Liked: 3 Times

that depends what building you have. some are whole floor, some are between a few rooms, so it all depends.

double occupancy with washroom is the one where you have two ppl in a room with your own washroom to share between the two and this is what les prince has.
Old 06-02-2008 at 06:19 PM   #199
Avneet

Liked: 0 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biee View Post
where do i check if there's a checkmark for guaranteed space? sorry im new..
When you go here:

https://resapp.mcmaster.ca/

And log in you click "Application Status" where it will tell you Guarenteed or Waiting list.
Old 06-03-2008 at 04:50 PM   #200
varc

hi, I was wondering if i should be diversifying my res preferences since all 12 of my picks are all within just 5 different buildings...or is that fine? I'm concerned about the likelihood of getting into the residences I want, how likely are you to get one of your top 8 for example?
thanks
Old 06-03-2008 at 04:55 PM   #201
ferreinm
Elite Member

Liked: 120 Times

Oh you're likely to get one of your top 5 for sure. I highly doubt the random selection is that bad, haha! Don't stress about it honestly. Wherever you end up you learn to like it anyway.
Old 06-03-2008 at 04:58 PM   #202
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

I ended up with my last option choice (it was different when I was in first year...we did kind of room, not kind of room and residence), as did most of the people on my floor.

Remember, there are 3000ish people living in residence...so it's possible that people who were awarded a higher spot in the lottery had the same choices that you did.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 06-03-2008 at 05:11 PM   #203
stevennevets

Liked: 37 Times

on my app, i have about 15 different picks of room and building ordered, then i put just the building after. i figure, i'd rather be in a res i like in a crappy room than an ok room in a crappy res.
Old 06-03-2008 at 08:26 PM   #204
kenvin100
Elite Member

Liked: 21 Times

okay these are my choices final

Brandon double
woodstock double
edwards double
mckay double
hedden double
les prince double / washroom
edwards second floor double
woodstock second floor double
hedden second floor double
brandon 4th double
les prince fourth double/washroom
mckay fourth floor

I thought the floors would help my odds a bit lol..
Old 06-03-2008 at 08:34 PM   #205
ferreinm
Elite Member

Hey! Whidden's not on that list!
Old 06-03-2008 at 08:45 PM   #206
soroush122

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cippi View Post
Well, unfortunately I don't have any really recent data, but I do know that back in 2003 a friend of mine was something like #396 on the waiting list when it was initially released, but by the end of the summer, he got a spot in rez.

The demand for places has certainly increased since then so I imagine that it'd be a little bit more difficult now, but if anything this gives you an indication that a significant number of people do drop out of rez or drop off the waiting list. So, depending on where you are on the list, there may still be hope yet.
thanks at least I can be hopeful . I was supposed to move to hamilton with my family so I didn't apply for Rez, now they might change their plan and stay in Toronto. I called Residence Admission Office, but they didn't give me any useful information. btw, Has the waiting list anything to do with Averages ? or is it like, who applied sooner has more chance of getting a spot?
Old 06-03-2008 at 08:45 PM   #207
kenvin100
Elite Member

Liked: 21 Times

heh lol..isnt that the one with bunks..or is that the one with triples and singles

see i wouldnt mind but im chilling with a friend on rez lol..

sorry but is this selection okay..i wanted to see if my odds would increase with floors
Old 06-03-2008 at 09:05 PM   #208
stevennevets

Liked: 37 Times

i forgot to mention, i just reordered my choices to make mckay number one, and whidden number two! i couldn't decide between them, hopefully the lottery knows what i want the best!
Old 06-03-2008 at 10:41 PM   #209
ferreinm
Elite Member

Yay to Whidden being in your top two! I'm biased towards Whidden since I'll be living there next year but hopefully the lottery chooses wisely!
Old 06-03-2008 at 11:38 PM   #210
ThatGuy

Liked: 36 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenvin100 View Post
okay these are my choices final

Brandon double
woodstock double
edwards double
mckay double
hedden double
les prince double / washroom
edwards second floor double
woodstock second floor double
hedden second floor double
brandon 4th double
les prince fourth double/washroom
mckay fourth floor

I thought the floors would help my odds a bit lol..
ok so ur second choice is woodstock double so if u dont get that because its full then theres no chance of you getting the woodstock double second floor because you didn't get into any woodstock floor in the first place, i just think its a useless pick and you should be careful because if u get screwed theyll put you anywhere if all ur picks are taken, and if ur like me and dont wanna pay 6grand to live in a suite you better watch out