MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Obama/McCain VP picks? J-Met Politics 17 05-11-2009 10:20 PM
Residence 09/10 FJEAN Residence & Housing 6 01-28-2009 11:46 PM
The Residence Flu katie_batt General Discussion 9 09-19-2008 12:27 PM
Residence sherrysa Residence & Housing 91 07-15-2008 11:41 PM
Residence Ruggedman First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 07-03-2008 07:48 AM

Your Residence Picks?

Old 05-18-2008 at 09:14 AM   #46
J-Met
Elite Member

Liked: 136 Times

um.... I dont think your likely to get any of those choices. As far as I know, Les Prince is the only residence where the majority of rooms have their own washroom. There are some residences, like Brandon I believe, where there are a few random rooms that happen to have there own bathrrom, but its very unlikely you will get these.

What would probably happen if you put down that list is you probably wouldn't get any of your choices (except maybe les prince double with washroom if your lucky), and I think they then just put you in some random residence.
Old 05-18-2008 at 09:19 AM   #47
kenvin100
Elite Member

Liked: 21 Times

hmm mayb I should take out the washrooms for all except les Prince? Would that work?

Idk I was looking through some of the pictures of the washrooms. They literally look like public washrooms which is a concern for me..how do I say this..I dont mind sharing but I kinda want a "normal" washroom

if what you said is true, then why does my res application give me the option of single and double with washroom?

Last edited by kenvin100 : 05-18-2008 at 09:22 AM.
Old 05-18-2008 at 09:26 AM   #48
J-Met
Elite Member

Liked: 136 Times

No idea...maybe its same reason the application gives you the option of double room in moulton when there are only singles and triples lol....they seem to put in alot of things that dont actually exist.

If your looking for residences with "normal bathrooms" Hedden and McKay have shared single-room washrroms (not really the public washroom style), and of course, Les Prince has the best situation with each room having its own washroom.
Old 05-18-2008 at 09:29 AM   #49
kenvin100
Elite Member

hmm lawl i dont know what to do now lol..oh well more research i guess xD

oo the word I was looking for is private washrooms..yes..still dont know about Hedden, I heard that hall is filled with party animals lol

Last edited by kenvin100 : 05-18-2008 at 09:31 AM.
Old 05-18-2008 at 09:54 AM   #50
kenvin100
Elite Member

Great...just great..the system thinks im a duplicate user and now asks me to sign in as a regular student..problem is i cant do that either (pword is month/day/year right?)

edit: I just remember I sent in a complete form..it wasnt finalized either..drat! didnt pay yet :(

double edit: lawl I should read these pdfs in future..

Last edited by kenvin100 : 05-18-2008 at 10:02 AM.
Old 05-18-2008 at 10:15 AM   #51
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by soroush122 View Post
if I live off the campus , would it be easy to chill in friend's room ? or even go to common room or other places in residence ? can I spend frosh week in my friend's room? Overall, Entering residence requires ID or not? thankssssss . I am forced to live off the campus with my family , but I'll be free in 2th year. This truly sucks :(
You can enter the residence of someone after welcome week provided they let you in. You need to have an ID card (its an electronic one you put up to a reader and it opens the door for you) to enter a building, and each card is specific for that residence.

During Welcome Week you are permitted in residence (again as long as someone lets you in) but only until a certain time in the evening...I think its 8pm if I recall correctly. Afterwards you are not allowed in a residence building, as the RLS staff needs to get used to who lives in the building in order to identify tresspassers later in the year.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 05-19-2008 at 07:33 PM   #52
Leraison

Liked: 0 Times

single rooms
hey guys =D.. i'm not garunteed a single room but i've got a pretty high average and I wanna rate my choices according to the number of single rooms available in a building.. can someone please tell me where I can find this info? i REALLY wanna stay in a traditional rez... and i have a question for everyne who lived in traditional rez but had an individual washroom - did you guys often find that the washrooms were dirty? like someone took a shower and left water everywhere, or hair all over the skin? cuz blah -__-;;

thx guys.. see you at welcome week
Old 05-19-2008 at 08:31 PM   #53
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Single rooms are only guaranteed if you have 95% and up. Otherwise you'd be put into the lottery system like everyone else.

On the H&CS website it says that most first year students are put in double and triple rooms.

The way the single room allotment works (or from what i can tell), in order:
- upper years
- all students with special accomidations
- anyone with over 95%
- whomever is left

Unfortunately none of the residences say how many of each room style there are, so unless you know the floor plans on every floor of ever res...it's all just a guess.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 05-19-2008 at 09:40 PM   #54
FlyWithMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorend View Post
Otherwise you'd be put into the lottery system like everyone else.
hmm. I'll gamble and give it a shot.
Old 05-22-2008 at 07:13 AM   #55
Elisa A

Res
Hey! So i just finished my first year at Mac, and my first year in res!
I also had a pretty high average going in (around 90%), and really wanted a single room. FOr ALL of my choices i picked single rooms, there were no double choices in there lol.
Not really too surprisingly i didn't get a single. There are really so few single rooms left after all the upper years, Ca's, Hpa's etc get their rooms. I think you're pretty much out of luck unfortunately, but don't fret! Having a room mate is a GREAT way to start to get to know someone new right away! you can talk to them ALL summer once you get their email, and then when you get there, you already know someone. Which makes it way easier to meet more people!!!

Also i would like to bump Edwards up high on this list!!!! (i know some already have) I stayed in Edwards this passed year and all of my f riends were jealous of me Edwards was my VErY last choice on my application, i thought it would be gross, and smelly and old, but it definitely is the best res. (For traditional style) The rooms are some of the biggest on campus, the building is one of the smallest (only 100) so you know everyone, and it's easy to feel more comfortable with everyone in your building. I knew people that would meet a new person in march, and find out they lived in the same building. And after welcome week in edwards, you can at least point out who lives in your building even if you don't know their name. Edwards is also the most centrally located residence on campus, especially if you're in arts, it's about 20 feet from eddie's side door to the TSH basement

Last edited by lorend : 05-22-2008 at 07:49 AM.
Old 05-22-2008 at 07:50 AM   #56
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Thanks for the feedback Elisa!

Old 05-22-2008 at 08:33 AM   #57
__lexington

Liked: 1 Time

Honestly...

I found Hedden Hall small and unfortunately it was the only residence I had the opportunity to see. @[email protected] I also thought it smelt kind of...disgusting.

My top picks were Doubles with Washrooms in Les Prince, and MacKay.

Anyone have room assignments yet?
Old 05-22-2008 at 01:51 PM   #58
Carbar

Bates
Is bates a boring residance since everyones in the own rooms with kitchens and everything or is it fun?
Old 05-22-2008 at 02:53 PM   #59
Elisa A

You really should not worry about any of the res's being boring they defintely are NOT. Bates is very simelar to the other res's but instead of one roommate you have 3. You will still meet tons of people on your floor, still go out for food on campus, with the added bonus of being able to have friends over to your room to cook a meal together!!! Not to mention having a place for you and your friends to hhang out and watch tv (in your living room) instead of having to find a tv in a common room to watch a movie or your show

KoenigCCXR says thanks to Elisa A for this post.
Old 05-22-2008 at 02:55 PM   #60
Cippi

Liked: 1 Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by __lexington View Post
I found Hedden Hall small and unfortunately it was the only residence I had the opportunity to see. @[email protected] I also thought it smelt kind of...disgusting.
Hah, are you sure that wasn't Whidden? It can get kind of...odiferous, on occasion :p

Plus, Hedden's one of the biggest residences on campus, unless you meant the rooms themselves.