MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Obama/McCain VP picks? J-Met Politics 17 05-11-2009 10:20 PM
Residence 09/10 FJEAN Residence & Housing 6 01-28-2009 11:46 PM
The Residence Flu katie_batt General Discussion 9 09-19-2008 12:27 PM
Residence sherrysa Residence & Housing 91 07-15-2008 11:41 PM
Residence Ruggedman First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 07-03-2008 07:48 AM

Your Residence Picks?

Old 06-04-2008 at 05:11 AM   #211
kenvin100
Elite Member

Liked: 21 Times

are u sayin that specifically for woodstock, or all the ones i chose?
Old 06-04-2008 at 07:43 AM   #212
ferreinm
Elite Member

Liked: 120 Times

It applies to all of them.
Old 06-04-2008 at 09:01 AM   #213
katie_batt

Liked: 9 Times

I was wondering if someone could tell me which residences (BESIDES WHIDDEN!) are the most spirited? I'm one of those people who is absolutely bursting at the seems with school spirit. I want to be in an appropriate building! thanks!
Old 06-04-2008 at 09:23 AM   #214
ferreinm
Elite Member

Honestly though Whidden really is the most spirited residence that's why we all love it. I guess Hedden Hall would be second best because they have good cheers so people have fun there too. Other than those two though I truly believe that no other residence comes close and that's bias aside.
Old 06-04-2008 at 09:31 AM   #215
temara.brown
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 352 Times

They're ALL good in their own way... I've had fun times with all of them in one way or another and I can guarentee you that as long as you take that little amount of effort to make it spirited, it will be!!
Old 06-04-2008 at 09:33 AM   #216
ferreinm
Elite Member

Mary Keyes? Bates? Matthews?
Old 06-04-2008 at 10:17 AM   #217
temara.brown
MacInsiders Staff

Bates in '07: third in bedraces and FIRST in Airbands
Matthews: Why are you even questioning it?!
Keyes: too classy.
Old 06-04-2008 at 10:23 AM   #218
ferreinm
Elite Member

Bates- notice how it's only Welcome Week stuff though. All residences have spirit during welcome week they have to!
Matthews was always an awkward building and never really had spirit
Keyes- see! Spirit lackers! Keyes needs more first years to spiriterize the place!
Old 06-04-2008 at 01:57 PM   #219
katie_batt

Liked: 9 Times

Ok, for those of you who have lived in multiple residences, what was your favourite residence to live in and why? were there any residences that you wished you had a chance to live in? thanks!
Old 06-04-2008 at 02:54 PM   #220
Eva C
Elite Member

Liked: 3 Times

I've lived in only two so far, but will be on my third one this year.

Les Prince - I lived in les prince in my first year. I think b/c of the private washroom, it is a bit harder to meet people unless you really walk around in the halls alot and meet everyone during welcome week. Overall, it was nice to have my own washroom! studyrooms and common rooms were nice. talking elevator..fancy and i also liked the fact that i lived on the 6th floor and the ceilings were higher than usually, so it made my room look so much bigger. its a further walk from everything, but it doesn' tmatter that much just wake up 5 minutes earlier. not a biggy. and its nice to have a talk with friends while going to get some food together. good healthy exercise..

Mary E. Keyes - I lived in keyes this past year, it was nice. I was in 2nd year, so it was nice to have my own room, and being able to cook if i wanted since i did start to get sick of the menus. It was nice to have your own living room to hang out with friends. However, it does take more effort to make sure youdont' have any problems w/ your roommates in regards to loudness, chores, sleepover visits, etc. I wouldn't have liked to live in Keyes during my first year tho... harder to meet people and not that many first years in the building to meet as compared to other buildings.

Brandon- I will be living in this next year, so I can't comment on it yet. I'm a CA! yay!

What I wish I could have lived in:
Hedden - I love some of the cheers they have!! I like how its big in a sense that there will be lots of events going on all the time. Also, the washrooms gives some privacy to it as well, which is nice. I've never seen a room before, but i'm sure its all good too.

Overall I liked everywhere I lived, you just get use to it eventually and enjoy it alot in the end no matter how you thought in the beginnng. Hope that helps..
Old 06-04-2008 at 04:40 PM   #221
temara.brown
MacInsiders Staff

Whidden Hall - I lived here in my first year and LOVED IT. There was so much spirit, I made so many new friends (who I'm still friends with..), I loved my room, and there was always something to do. If you are a first year coming to Mac, I would always recommend living here!!

Hedden Hall - I lived here in second year as the IRC Programming Rep. I had a single room, which I definitely liked as an upper year student. I liked the bathrooms as they were just like having your own washroom as you would in keyes, Bates, or Les Prince but you didn't have that extra fee. If I was a first year living here, I would probably have a harder time meeting people here. There are two common rooms per floor which really divides your floor into two. Also, you have to make an effort to actually go in them where as in Whidden, you were almost forced to go through the common room whenever you needed to get anywhere else on the floor. Otherwise, I really enjoyed it.. it's more modern, clean, and you will either have a really nice view of Cootes or the New Stadium!

SOCS - Third and all years afterwards.. ya I might as well mention this too! As a first year, I imagine it would be the most difficult to meet people in your neighbourhood unless you really make an effort!! But, I do currently enjoy the lifestyle that I have there... You get to be more connected to the Hamilton community this way where you don't really do if you're in residence.

Residences I would have also liked to live in:

McKay Hall - I always liked the character and spirit this building has. They always seem to form great relationships amongst the floors and have something going on!

Moulton Hall - This building also has really good spirit and nice rooms. Also, it's really close to Bridges as well as my regular class buildings (I'm in Science). It seems like if you lived here and put the effort in, you would definitely be able to meet a lot of your fellow floor-mates

Wallingford Hall - This one is an all-girls.. although I think I'd prefer co-ed, you've gotta love how close everyone gets in this building. I also love the older style and large rooms... and close proximity to Bridges!!!

Edwards Hall - Although I still get lost in here for some reason (everyone always makes fun of me for that), it also has nice rooms, good spirit, and everyone really gets to know eachother really well!!
Old 06-04-2008 at 05:08 PM   #222
ThatGuy

Liked: 36 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenvin100 View Post
are u sayin that specifically for woodstock, or all the ones i chose?
I'd say the best thing to do is to choose all the doubles rooms you want, then bont bother putting floors after but then order all the different res triple rooms you'd like. Even though you don't want a triple room, if worst comes to worst then atleast you'll have a triple in a res you like rather than getting a triple at a res you don't like.
Old 06-04-2008 at 05:15 PM   #223
ferreinm
Elite Member

I'd like to second Temara! Wally girls do get really close so if you're a girl and don't mind the absence of boys, I recommend it.

In first year I wanted to live in Hedden, it is a pretty sweet residence. Nevertheless, I'll be living in Whidden in September.
Old 06-04-2008 at 10:41 PM   #224
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferreinm View Post
Bates- notice how it's only Welcome Week stuff though. All residences have spirit during welcome week they have to!
Pre 2006 Bates didn't have spirit more or less at all during Welcome Week. When we had students (and more than 50) come out for events that year the other reps from previous years were really, really surprised.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 06-05-2008 at 12:08 AM   #225
temara.brown
MacInsiders Staff

conveintly when you started repping for them