MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Obama/McCain VP picks? J-Met Politics 17 05-11-2009 10:20 PM
Residence 09/10 FJEAN Residence & Housing 6 01-28-2009 11:46 PM
The Residence Flu katie_batt General Discussion 9 09-19-2008 12:27 PM
Residence sherrysa Residence & Housing 91 07-15-2008 11:41 PM
Residence Ruggedman First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 07-03-2008 07:48 AM

Your Residence Picks?

Old 05-26-2008 at 10:12 PM   #151
ferreinm
Elite Member

Liked: 120 Times

You'll be connected with people from your faculty because you'll see them in lecture/labs every day. I'm in philosophy there's like what 100 people in my classes that I see in ALL of my classes. First year there are tons of people, but by 2nd and 3rd you'll be close with people from your program. Study groups work too though!
Old 05-26-2008 at 10:13 PM   #152
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

There will be people in your res, regardless of your faculty.

Take for example Arts and Sci, the smallest faculty at Mac. They only accept around 75 people a year to the program. If all of them lived in res, there would be six in nine of the buildings, with seven in the remaining three residences.

But yes, many residences run study groups (for CAPA [physics]) for example), and you will meet other people on your floor and in your classes etc.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 05-27-2008 at 11:24 AM   #153
**jewel 03**

Liked: Liked 2 Times

i just have a question about acceptances people keep talking about how a certain school only accepts a certain number of people for a certain program...how do you find out how people are accepted for your program?
Old 05-27-2008 at 02:01 PM   #154
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,731 Times

Which program are you interested in?
Old 05-27-2008 at 05:44 PM   #155
katie_batt

Liked: 9 Times

So I cant decide which residence I want to stay in. Its mostly that I'm trying to decide if I was appartment or traditional. I like appartment because you can cook when you want, you have lots of room, a single bedroom, etc. But on the other hand, traditional rez sounds like it has more social opperunities to it. I want to be in a rez where I can have lots of fun, make some good friends, and still have some privacy. I dont want to stay in a huge party rez, but I dont want to be completely isolated from the action! what rez style do you think is the best? I was thinking if I went for traditional I would go for McKay or Hedden. What do you think?

Also, what is wallingford like? It looks like a really really cool building, but I also want to ahve a chance to meet guy friends too.
Old 05-27-2008 at 06:17 PM   #156
nicole.h

Liked: 1 Time

Wallingford is one of the orginal residences on campus and holds around 75 girls. My favourite part of Wally is the tea room which is really pretty. I beleive that there are pictures up on the Mac website.

In terms of meeting guys while living in an all-girls residence, it is different as you don't get to meet guys on your floor, but you can meet guys in your classes or through various clubs.
Old 05-27-2008 at 07:07 PM   #157
ferreinm
Elite Member

McKay, Hedden and WHIDDEN are in the North Quad which does tend to be the more social quad. I lived in Whidden. It's pretty balanced out in the sense that you can study and party there. It never got too loud when you needed quiet because usually people don't party until weekends. Plus, the study room is in the basement which is silent. Whidden is a co-ed building. It's close to the Arts Quad (which is useful if you're in Humanities or Social Science). It has an underground tunnel to Commons (that's where people eat) which means you don't need to walk outside in the winter to get dinner. Since we have to share our washrooms with others (which at first is sort of awkward but you eventually get used to it) we also get to meet people more since girls tend to talk in washrooms a lot anyway!

I'm really pro-WHIDDEN! McKay and Hedden are alright I guess, but Whidden is the best! PLUS, I'll be living there next year! =)
Old 05-27-2008 at 08:24 PM   #158
kenvin100
Elite Member

Liked: 21 Times

hmm I think im gonna take a chance with my rez choices..im gonna pick all double occupancy rooms..regardless if one of the halls is singles and triples only or bunk/loft..

it seems those apartment ones are very rare..gosh i dont want to live in a triple or a bunk..
Old 05-28-2008 at 10:52 AM   #159
ae1011

Liked: 0 Times

Any comments on my pick? just changed them minutes ago , deadline at 4 today!!!
Whidden
Les prince
Hedden
Hedden
Brandon
Mckay
Mckay
woodstock
woodstock
Mary E Keyes
Edward

thankyou ferreinm for promoting Whidden, it sounds really cool

Before coming to macinsiders, my order was based on the year when residence was built lol list from 06 to 65
Old 05-28-2008 at 10:58 AM   #160
ferreinm
Elite Member

You're first choice is Whidden? YAY!!!!
Old 05-28-2008 at 02:10 PM   #161
woodlawngirl

Liked: 0 Times

i have a question about the online application page,
so i have submitted my deposit a while ago and that shows up on the website, but my acceptance letter says i have guareented residence but thats not showing up on the website. niether the guareented or waitlist boxes are checked on the site
i don't know if anyones if checked off, or if i should call them...?
Old 05-28-2008 at 02:32 PM   #162
**jewel 03**

Liked: Liked 2 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
Which program are you interested in?
Social work which is in the faculty of Social Science
Old 05-28-2008 at 02:46 PM   #163
Eva C
Elite Member

Liked: 3 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by anitaa View Post
i just have a question about acceptances people keep talking about how a certain school only accepts a certain number of people for a certain program...how do you find out how people are accepted for your program?
I know before that in the universtiy application booklet with all the university information (adminission average, prereqs, etc) it should also indicated the previous year's acceptances and the number of people that applied. i'm not sure if you still have access to that informatoin anymore. For people accepted the current year, I am not quite sure where to get that sort of information.. hope that's somewhat helpful. maybe someone else knows. good luck.
Old 05-28-2008 at 03:17 PM   #164
kenvin100
Elite Member

Liked: 21 Times

Im concerned that Mac would put us in a rez that's not in our preferences..for instance we choose double occupancy rooms but we get stuck in a triple... can that happen?
Old 05-28-2008 at 03:20 PM   #165
ferreinm
Elite Member

Of course it can. Haha! I definitely didn't get what I wanted at all. You CAN get what you want though-- it's lottery though. Even when you don't get what you wanted you make the best of it in the end! =)