MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Obama/McCain VP picks? J-Met Politics 17 05-11-2009 10:20 PM
Residence 09/10 FJEAN Residence & Housing 6 01-28-2009 11:46 PM
The Residence Flu katie_batt General Discussion 9 09-19-2008 12:27 PM
Residence sherrysa Residence & Housing 91 07-15-2008 11:41 PM
Residence Ruggedman First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 07-03-2008 07:48 AM

Your Residence Picks?

Old 05-13-2008 at 09:10 AM   #16
soroush122

Liked: 0 Times

Mehran, irani hasti? che reshteE mikhay bekhooni ya mikhoooni?
Old 05-13-2008 at 09:58 AM   #17
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,731 Times

Unfortunately I don't speak Farsi :(
Old 05-13-2008 at 11:07 AM   #18
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

Me neither.

And Matthews I have heard is a real pain in the butt to get around because not all the hallways lead to where you want to go...which makes you need to go upstairs to end up downstairs and whatnot.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 05-13-2008 at 07:21 PM   #19
kelvin0201

hey guys.
so let just say you're pretty certain you want to live in one particular residence, for example, bradon hall, can you rank all 12 if not most of the rankings on brandon hall? so it would look something like this
1. building bradon hall single occupancy room
2. building bradon hall double occupancy room
3. building brandon hall single occupancy room with bathroom
4. building bradon hall double occupancy room with bathroom
5. floor brandon hall 8th floor single occupancy room
6. floor brandon hall 9th floor single occupancy room

you get the idea..
Old 05-13-2008 at 07:49 PM   #20
J-Met
Elite Member

Liked: 136 Times

Well, if you rank Brandon hall with every single room type, it will already include every room on every floor.

From my undertsnading of the process, if you REALLY want one residence, its best to rank the building with every single room type, but its pointless to include floors as well.
Old 05-13-2008 at 08:46 PM   #21
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

WHIDDEN WHIDDEN WHIDDEN

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 05-14-2008 at 04:50 AM   #22
soroush122

yeaaaaah
hahaha , I couldn't see all of them , so I'll pick up my choices based on your reviews and Mcmaster Virtual Tour ( Residence Pictures), However I wish I get into Female-only residence or at least not get into male-only one . oh my friend and I are filling the application exactly the same in order to be in the same room, is that possible that they put us into 3 bedroom house and add someone else randomly????? :(
Old 05-14-2008 at 04:52 AM   #23
soroush122

its 5:51 am I got a break but I have to be back around 6:10 am ( Overnight Job :( )
Old 05-14-2008 at 08:53 AM   #24
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,731 Times

the Virtual Tour of McMaster is good eh? If you haven't seen it yet visit http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /virtual/

There are now also virtual tours of the residences too! http://www.macinsiders.com/showthread.php?t=1811 3
Old 05-14-2008
Chad
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 05-14-2008 at 03:59 PM   #25
Cippi

Liked: 1 Time

Figure I may as well weigh in on something here... I noticed some people who really want to get into a specific residence are ranking them something like:

1. Hedden SINGLE
2. Hedden DOUBLE
3. Hedden TRIPLE
4. Les Prince
...and so on

Personally, I'd instantly bump any triples way, way down to the bottom of your list. There are very few (if any) "true" triple rooms left in the residence system - that is, those that were designed with 3 people in mind. The vast majority are bunk-and-loft triples - they basically got new furniture that allows you to cram 3 people into a space ideally suited to 2. I don't know if there's a way to distinguish between the two kinds of triples on the application this year (since it's only online and I can't view it), but if there isn't, then I'd strongly discourage you from applying for it.

Triples don't seem to be quite as bad in Whidden and Moulton (their rooms are essentially twins of each other), but in Hedden, they can get really, really tight, especially since there is very little storage space. They are cheaper, but I personally would avoid them if possible.

Also, Woodstock and Brandon are pretty much twins of each other, too, so if you only saw one of them, the rooms in the other are essentially identical (Woodstock's building is just smaller). I'm kinda glad there seems to be a resurgence in interest in Hedden, since that's where I lived my first two years :-p The newest and shiniest rez isn't always the best, heh.
Old 05-14-2008 at 05:42 PM   #26
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

The triple rooms in Hedden are actually converted doubles.

Last year they had to re-convert those doubles into triples in order to accomidate the number of people who got into res.

And my housemates all lived in Whidden triples. They were really squishy.

Old 05-14-2008 at 05:48 PM   #27
Cippi

Liked: 1 Time

Yeah, the funny thing is that in my first year, there were actual triple rooms on the first floor of Hedden (that is, they were designed to hold 3 people), and they were huge - now they're quads. In the summer before my second year, the whole double cohort/rez overbooking mess happened, and they had to do the emergency "temporary" conversion of the doubles to the bunk and loft triple rooms. Needless to say, they never fully went away. About half of them were dismantled in Hedden before my final year, but now it seems they're making a comeback...
Old 05-14-2008 at 06:56 PM   #28
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Yup guaranteed Res acceptance I think is 78% this year...

I think it was over 80% for my first year.

Old 05-15-2008 at 02:58 PM   #29
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Check out these res descriptions: http://www.mlr.ca/view_article.php?s...&id=1000&sec=9