MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
University Logo Discussion temara.brown General Discussion 26 08-05-2009 01:18 PM
1280's New Logo Discussion Gets Heated Chad MacInsiders Announcements 34 08-02-2009 01:21 PM
1280's New Logo Revealed Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 07-30-2009 02:24 PM
Welcome Week 2008 Logo Revealed Chad MacInsiders Announcements 9 05-16-2008 08:17 AM
Welcome Week Logo Contest! Chad MacInsiders Announcements 8 05-14-2008 09:38 AM

1280's New logo

Old 07-31-2009 at 12:31 PM   #181
Nino
Insider Agent (IA)

Liked: 91 Times

If anyone has any suggestions to improve the venue(menu, events, drinks etc.), feel free to post here:
http://www.macinsiders.com/showthread.php?p=7456

myoozik says thanks to Nino for this post.
Old 07-31-2009 at 12:34 PM   #182
c.thomson

Liked: 4 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadpool View Post
The Phoenix has all of those issues. They just have a wider selection of beers to make the wait better, and an awesome patio.

The inside is just as clean as Quarters, except that the Quarters decor, mismatched lighting and exposed wiring was not very feng shui.

The service at both places is equally bad at times, and great at times. Over the past week I've been at Phoenix three times. One of these included the waitress forgetting my side, and completely giving my friends the wrong items.

Another time included the waitress going on a 20 minute smoke break, in front of us, while we could see our food sitting on the pass inside the kitchen, through the window.

The third time though, we knew the waitress and got excellent service. She was fast, efficient, and had all our orders properly.

The same things happen to me at Quarters. I'll have wrong food given to me, inattentive waitresses etc.

Phoenix just has a better reputation from a while back, but now they are just like Quarters used to be.

I will concede that the atmosphere is different, and better at some times. I personally love the beer selection even though they got rid of the Oatmeal stout.

My post isn't to undermine Phoenix, as I love the place, but I need to point out that it is not nearly as heavenly as people make it out to be.

I do agree the the pheonix has it's flaws. The point that I was trying to make, is that the atmospheres of both places are completely different. The food at quarters is muchos greasier than the pheonix, and the pheonix is much nicer looking on the inside, in my opinion.

We could argue all day long about whether you would rather go to the pheonix or quarters, but the point is that logo's of the respective pubs, has nothing to do with your overall opinion or each restaurant. And they will have no effect on the desicion of a first year student's first impression of the bar. There are so many more important things that need to be fixed with this new bar. So while the logo may not be what students first had in mind, it's not the end of the world.
Old 07-31-2009 at 12:41 PM   #183
deadpool
X-Man

Liked: 394 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by c.thomson View Post
We could argue all day long about whether you would rather go to the pheonix or quarters, but the point is that logo's of the respective pubs, has nothing to do with your overall opinion or each restaurant. And they will have no effect on the desicion of a first year student's first impression of the bar. There are so many more important things that need to be fixed with this new bar. So while the logo may not be what students first had in mind, it's not the end of the world.
Like I said before though, this isn't about the logo, but the entire process and the lack of thought put into it, and how it has deviated from the original planning stages where everything was compartmentalized, and going to be very efficient.
Old 07-31-2009 at 12:44 PM   #184
janeller

Liked: 3 Times

i like it. i think it's a good logo.

plus who really gives a woop about what the logo looks like. As previously stated, it's still going to be the same greasy, bad-service pub.
Old 07-31-2009 at 12:48 PM   #185
c.thomson

Liked: 4 Times

Negativity like that doesn't do anyone any good. I agree that Quarters was a greasy, bad-service pub, but that is why is it being redone.

A lot of people are putting hard work into this project, and a lot of money is being spent. If you didn't like Quarters before, than you should be excited that it is being changed into hopefully and much nicer place. And I don't think that you should throw comments out like that before seeing the new place.

Taunton says thanks to c.thomson for this post.

temara.brown likes this.
Old 07-31-2009 at 12:50 PM   #186
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by c.thomson View Post
Negativity like that doesn't do anyone any good. I agree that Quarters was a greasy, bad-service pub, but that is why is it being redone.

A lot of people are putting hard work into this project, and a lot of money is being spent. If you didn't like Quarters before, than you should be excited that it is being changed into hopefully and much nicer place. And I don't think that you should throw comments out like that before seeing the new place.
I completely agree. You simply can't judge before you go there for the first time.
Old 07-31-2009 at 12:51 PM   #187
fullsmash26
Reporter, Macleans

Liked: 15 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
@Joey, please keep discussion about the 1280 logo. Finances spent on Quarters can be addressed in one of the many Quarters threads, or privately via PM with Ian. Thanks!
The point was not the finances. It is the complete lack of planning. That's why I asking for this plan.

The fact that spending was talked about is a function of the fact that a plan should have been in place before the money was spent.

The logo fiasco is another symptom of no plan or a plan which is not being followed. Having not seen a plan, I don't know which it is.
Old 07-31-2009 at 12:54 PM   #188
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

Mcmaster studets at our best,
in the last ten or so pages of this topic there has been almost nothing but petty arguements. We all know, from experience, that this leads nowhere. Maybe the SRA/EB/BoD ****ed up with the logo, at this point it really doesn't matter, we have at least 5 SRA members actively following this topic and rather than getting to look into what we and they can do to improve the situation we're beratting them for a few short-sighted posts. When this topic eventually dies, I don't want it to end with a bunch of bitter students (and with the SRA thinking less of MI than they already seem to), I want it to end with appreciable level of change achieved. So for ****s sake, try to look at the bigger picture and co-operate rather than fight.

Alvand, Taunton all say thanks to Tailsnake for this post.

emtee10 likes this.
Old 07-31-2009 at 12:57 PM   #189
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,731 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullsmash26 View Post
The logo fiasco is another symptom of no plan or a plan which is not being followed. Having not seen a plan, I don't know which it is.
Valid opinion. Sorry for any confusion.
Old 07-31-2009 at 12:58 PM   #190
temara.brown
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 352 Times

Bell continues to amaze me with how much it can fail as an internet services provider... anyways... now I'm behind..

As someone who has mostly been an involved student outside of the MSU for the majority of the time, and as a former sra'er, I can relate to both sides. This is what I sent my representative regarding student feedback.

No one expects you to go and read every single post. Trust me... we try to do that as staff and it's hard. But, what she [florence] was saying is that you cannot invalidate her opinion because of the venue it's on. There are no really established pathways of communication between students that are effective in the least way. We had tried to build some last year but again it was not expected to be able to reach absolutely everyone.

These forums at least streamline some of the processes. For example, if we did stick to the email route, you would instead end up with emails all stating the same thing: "I do/don't like the logo." Email discussion doesn't get as developped or involved comparred to what we've got going on here with the forums.

Also, consider this as a message from your constituent.. (well... I don't know what I am right now but for arguments sake haha..). I implore my representatives to immerse themselves in methods that seek to engage student discussion instead of stifling responses.

When it comes down to it, you are the one with the vote. You get to make the decision and you need to be able to communicate your conclusions when asked.

I know this is still all fresh and it is really challenging. I remember trying to write an article on exactly what the student representative assembly did and it took me forever to get it done. It takes awhile to really start to understand your roles..

I hope I didn't sound like I was mad or anything.. just trying to offer perspective. Science <3 forever!

Also, the debate on how exactly SRA members should represent you to the MSU has been one that's been going on for awhile. Right now, they're representing you with your best interests in mind comparred to someone who collects actual stats and votes accordingly. We had tried to do class visits last year so that every student could get a visit from their representatives... it took me 3+ hours to even just make the bloody schedule. so yea.. blargh

Also, Rohan, I really really like that one you made with the flowery thing beside it!!!!!!!! soo nice!

florencem. says thanks to temara.brown for this post.
Old 07-31-2009 at 01:00 PM   #191
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,731 Times

@Tailsnake: Correct, the thread must remain on topic please. Opinions about what you'd like to see from 1280/TwelvEighty can be posted in This Thread. Posts unrelated to discussion on the logo will be removed/moved.

Thanks.
Old 07-31-2009 at 01:00 PM   #192
fullsmash26
Reporter, Macleans

Liked: 15 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
Valid opinion. Sorry for any confusion.
No worries. There was a lot of discussion of money. Journalism has taught me to follow the money or at least focus on it to get to the truth.
Old 07-31-2009 at 01:09 PM   #193
deadpool
X-Man

Liked: 394 Times

eeeeeectually, they are using a different logo. the collegiate E is now replaced with an E in the same typeface as the rest of the text.
Old 07-31-2009 at 01:10 PM   #194
PTGregD
Elite Member

Liked: 349 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadpool View Post
eeeeeectually, they are using a different logo. the collegiate E is now replaced with an E in the same typeface as the rest of the text.
A step in the right direction
Old 07-31-2009 at 01:19 PM   #195
florencem.

Liked: 34 Times

But it still doesn't do anything about changing that serif problem. That's what really grinds my gears.

temara.brown says thanks to florencem. for this post.