MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
University Logo Discussion temara.brown General Discussion 26 08-05-2009 01:18 PM
1280's New Logo Discussion Gets Heated Chad MacInsiders Announcements 34 08-02-2009 01:21 PM
1280's New Logo Revealed Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 07-30-2009 02:24 PM
Welcome Week 2008 Logo Revealed Chad MacInsiders Announcements 9 05-16-2008 08:17 AM
Welcome Week Logo Contest! Chad MacInsiders Announcements 8 05-14-2008 09:38 AM

1280's New logo

Old 07-31-2009 at 04:03 PM   #211
deadpool
X-Man

Liked: 392 Times

Casey beat me to it.
Old 07-31-2009 at 04:06 PM   #212
.:callen:.
Student Senator '08-'10

Liked: 24 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by casey.park View Post
The vote was actually 8-1-0.

Matt just tallied it wrong and in fact, did oppose the motion.
Oh good, thanks Casey for clearing that up.
Old 07-31-2009 at 04:07 PM   #213
casey.park
SRA Member

Liked: 27 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadpool View Post
Let me elaborate in Matt's favour.

By 8-0-1, Matt didn't mean that it was on a motion. What he should have explained is that the EB was presented with 3 logos and were told to vote on one of them, the one garnering the most votes would be the choice. He chose to abstain from the vote because he didn't think that any of the logos presented were good choices and didn't want to cast a vote for any of them.

He needs to explain better.
I think there's some rampant confusion here:

In the e-mail vote for the three mock-ups, 7 members of the Executive Board voted for a certain design whereas two Executive Board members (including Mr. Wright) voted for another design.

In the actual vote at the Executive Board meeting to ratify the logo that 7 members voted for via e-mail, Mr. Wright opposed that motion by a vote of 8-1-0.
Old 07-31-2009 at 04:07 PM   #214
casey.park
SRA Member

Liked: 27 Times

Quote:

In the e-mail vote for the three mock-ups, 7 members of the Executive Board voted for a certain design whereas two Executive Board members (including Mr. Wright) voted for another design.

In the actual vote at the Executive Board meeting to ratify the logo that 7 members voted for, Mr. Wright opposed that motion by a vote of 8-1-0.
Good on us for clearing that up.
Old 07-31-2009 at 04:08 PM   #215
deadpool
X-Man

Liked: 392 Times

Quote:

In the actual vote at the Executive Board meeting to ratify the logo that 7 members voted for, Mr. Wright opposed that motion by a vote of 8-1-0.
lol yeah, sorry. i removed my post when i realised when i realised that matt and i were talking about two different things when we spoke yesterday.
Old 07-31-2009 at 04:13 PM   #216
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 360 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by myoozik View Post
You do your research. Go on MacInsiders. Come talk to students in classes. Seek us out. It's terrible to say, but you know what, students for the most part, are apathetic and dare I say it, leaning on the lazy side. To sit back and wait for e-mails is kind of a cop out. It's just going to be a waiting game between you and your constituents if you wait for e-mails because you very well know that only a handful of students will be willing to write a meaningful e-mail. You could go your entire term shouting "E-mail us!" and you will more than likely receive less than 100 e-mails.

If you notice that nobody is e-mailing, despite reminders by SRA members to e-mail them, then do something different.
DITTO!

That is pretty much one of the main points of the argument I have against Emails, the reason I argue against you guys, criticize and potentially antagonize is not for my personal ego, not due to any unknown enmity agianst the MSU(I am working pretty much every day for hours these days on three MSU projects, so I really have no reason to hate it) nor any other reason you might think so.

It is honestly and simply for one reason: Solving student apathy and getting them involved.

I am afraid but your aforementioned method of "Email Us!" will NOT work. You can mark my words here, you will never get anywhere close to 200 emails you claim you can handle(super typer much?) ever.

That is atleast what my personal philosophy and theory to solve apathy is, you need to seek out people wherever they are. You need to treat them as equals and as a valid source of information and opinion even if they are being negative and cynical all the time(i.e: They are not Bitching). The chance to get their opinion heard needs to be brought to their side of the court, using methods that they prefer; not methods that suit YOU. We have to remember that the SRA members are here to serve the students, not themselves, not the BOD.

Hence the Boss analogy just won't work, you aren't working with a Boss who cares solely about his company/profits and your effectiveness; nor is he someone with perfect information and motivation. Hence the Boss really isn't a Boss, you need to see the problem from some other angle!

"Apathy" is an issue that doesn't get solved by locking oneself up in ones fortress and asking people to send them nice little mails, you have to get out into the city(Insiders being a very nasty city full of dissedents and rabble rousers If I am to believe your misguided viewpoint ) and get your hands dirty, there will be negativity, there will be unconstructive nonsense. But if you spend even 5 minutes on this topic with a clear head, you will find there is golden level of useful information out here. It is a valid venue for qualitative research and sampling.

Though that really isn't the case most of the time since looking at your last nights outburst, there still seems to be a sense of lingering mistrust of well a group of people who cannot be defined as nothing more then "students/Msu Constituents". That really won't help you in your quest for student opinion(If that is honestly what you want), if you view people at MacInsiders with negativity wait till you get out into the real world.

The real world in being the VERY Apathetic students(In other words pretty much around 80% of our student body who doesn't vote and doesn't view the MSU with nothing more then a critical and often nonsensical dismissal; trust me I know ALOT of such people), they will infuriate and annoy you even more with their views on things.

In contrast I personally think people at Insiders are much more informed and knowledgeable of what is going on, most of all they care for McMaster and the student union enough to spend their time articulating their mostly constructive criticism. If you can't deal with them properly and get them positively engaged what hope does the MSU have against the rest of the 80%? NONE I say.

That is only some of the points I argued with Michael Wooder(Student Life Co-Ordinator for the MSU) earlier this week for an hour or so. I'm not sure but he did finally after much arguing concede the need for a Communications Policy for MSU elected officials.

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Last edited by huzaifa47 : 07-31-2009 at 04:16 PM.

myoozik likes this.
Old 07-31-2009 at 04:39 PM   #217
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 360 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee.Hanson View Post
Yes, there are 6000 (or something to that effect) students registered
on this website, but that's merely registration. Case in point, I've
been aware of MacInsider's since it began, have been a member since
early June, and yet this is my first post, thus it's not an accurate
conclusion to jump to that this website would be an accurate
representation of the student population. Especially when you consider
McMaster's apathetic tendencies. That, and the hostile environment of
this website aside, MacInsiders is NOT an MSU affiliate, so why would
it be used?

If you really feel that you have a better logo design, or ideas, rather
than posting them here, why not email a member of the Board of
Directors? They are there to represent the student population, and who
knows, they just might think your ideas are better than theirs.
Once again, the anti-Insiders Brigade needs to take a deep breath and see that they clearly aren't getting the point!

No one is saying this is an "accurate" research method that can be used to quantify something, I have no idea why some people are using that petty argument. Has anyone here taken PoliSci Stats, Socio Research Methods?
Quote:
"Qualitative Research: Qualitative researchers typically rely on the following methods for gathering information: Participant Observation, Non-participant Observation, Field Notes, Reflexive Journals, Structured Interview, Unstructured Interview, Analysis of documents and materials(Insiders Can loosely be cateogrized under most of these)(Source: Wikipedia)" lol!
Also at times Research is even conducted by "analyzing" direct Media sources(which obviously are much much more biased, plus the fact of the matter it, the SRA members are being urged to use it as an informal source, you can only call it inaccurate if say you have to "cite" it somewhere.

The Hostile Environment is once again a myth, or possibly an excuse, there is alot of constructive work here, you just need to sift through all of that before branding us as evil; And as Danielle said it is all very much within the terms of service, but also I'm assuming you have covered Utlitarianism at some point or the other in Humanities right? What does that tell you!.

It is not an MSU affiliate but it is full of MSU students, you pretty much have no substance to your argument; If the MSU is concerned with gauging student opinion they need to seek it wherever it is available. Alot of people here need to take off their tinted lenses and realize that all of us contributing and an even larger number just reading this thread are "MSU students" just like you

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Last edited by huzaifa47 : 07-31-2009 at 04:43 PM.

Chad says thanks to huzaifa47 for this post.
Old 07-31-2009 at 04:43 PM   #218
c.erl
PLUC Front, etc.

Liked: 94 Times

I'm a little late (thats what she said) but I kinda like it
Old 07-31-2009 at 04:59 PM   #219
DannyV
Elite Member

Liked: 207 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by c.erl View Post
I'm a little late (thats what she said) but I kinda like it
That's what she said as well.
Old 07-31-2009 at 07:33 PM   #220
c.erl
PLUC Front, etc.

Liked: 94 Times

ooooohhhhhhhh! good one! *high fives*
Old 07-31-2009
jhan523
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 07-31-2009
adrian
Old 07-31-2009
temara.brown
Old 07-31-2009
jhan523
Old 07-31-2009
Tailsnake