MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
University Logo Discussion temara.brown General Discussion 26 08-05-2009 01:18 PM
1280's New Logo Discussion Gets Heated Chad MacInsiders Announcements 34 08-02-2009 01:21 PM
1280's New Logo Revealed Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 07-30-2009 02:24 PM
Welcome Week 2008 Logo Revealed Chad MacInsiders Announcements 9 05-16-2008 08:17 AM
Welcome Week Logo Contest! Chad MacInsiders Announcements 8 05-14-2008 09:38 AM

1280's New logo

Old 08-02-2009 at 12:56 AM   #241
florencem.

Liked: 34 Times

no more crookedness:

much better.

Old 08-02-2009 at 03:00 AM   #242
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,730 Times

I agree, taking out the crooked E will help a lot and make the brand seem more professional. We want a restaurant that is classier than Quarters was, no? We don't want a place that, from the branding and logo, looks broken down and falling apart.

PS. Neat Aardvark site to get random opinions
Old 08-02-2009 at 11:52 AM   #243
Alex McColl

Liked: 11 Times

Well done James. I couldn't have said it better myself. I would like to add that if an SRA member only needed to consult the number of students who voted for them, they wouldn't have to talk to that many people. Perhaps if voter turn out (and General Assembly turn out) was higher there would be more relevance to the consultation process. That being said, it doesn't absolve the MSU of my critiques that they tend to do sketchy things over the summer - this not being about consultation, but about doing things that would get students angry if they were around to notice.

Last edited by Alex McColl : 08-02-2009 at 11:56 AM.

james2255 says thanks to Alex McColl for this post.
Old 08-02-2009
Taunton
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 08-02-2009
Alex McColl
Old 08-02-2009
james2255
Old 08-02-2009
Alex McColl
Old 08-02-2009
Mowicz
Old 08-02-2009
deadpool
Old 08-02-2009 at 02:04 PM   #244
Chad
MacInsiders Staff

Discussions about the Waterloo and McMaster logos moved to:
http://www.macinsiders.com/showthread.php?t=2268 2

Keep discussion on the topic of the 1280 logo only, or start a new thread please.
Old 08-03-2009 at 09:47 AM   #245
dauphijd

Liked: 1 Time

Where is the plan?

The logo choice worries me because it seems to be indicative of the absence of a quality strategic documentation. I went looking for a detailed plan attached to the minutes of the SRA meeting where the renovation was approved and I found nothing, at least nothing publically released. I have heard mention of a “plan” but it doesn’t sound the least bit comprehensive. For all intents and purposes the bar is being completely re-started from scratch. There will be a new name, image, menu, floor plan. So, where is the new business plan?

At its very basic a business plan should contain a number of sub documents; a marketing plan, an operations plan and a financial plan. The business goals should be outlined as well as the plan for reaching those goals? Every single choice being made should be directed towards achieving those goals. Rohan mentioned that the concept used in the logo development was

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadpool View Post

that "Students in the old days used to come to school in a blazer, shirt and tie, and now in a tshirt. Both crowds are on opposite extremes, and the atmosphere at 1280 should be in the middle: people who are students of today, who like to class it up a bit. Think, blazers over tshirts, casual and trendy."

Hence the middle one with a tie logo and the collegiate typeface.
Now its good to know there was a concept used in the logo development but the concept seems inconsistent. You have a bar name that is very obvious an attempt at a Cheers type concept, an “everyone is welcome” concept if you will. Whereas the concept used for the logo is one of “middle of opposite extremes”. The two concepts don’t jive, they're inconsistent.

So, I ask once again, where is the plan?
Old 08-03-2009 at 12:53 PM   #246
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 360 Times

Well Dauphijid, you just reminded me of the fact that I DID ask for the research report from IRA MacDonald that the Vp Finance(I presume) presented to the SRA at the June 13th Session AFTER the bod had already made a descision to give IRA the contract "unoffically". Now logic suggests that BOD are pretty rational people and they must have been "convinced" by the IRA MacDonald people one way or the other that their company is the best choice they have. To do so I would guess the BOD were given lenghty detailed documents that were aimed towards selling the tender for IRA(The normally tend to be pretty impressive). Apparently, according to what an SRA member said the BOD(Vp Finance) did then present to the SRA on June 13th and convinced them to vote "officially" on IRA. I have asked for those documents to be made public here or on the 1280 Page on the MSU website. YES I could privately go to their offices/email them and try recieving it, but I keep asking for this on a public forum for reasons I have already explained before on many threads. If someone from the SRA has the documents( I assume they must have been sent a copy) I would sincerely urge them to make them public over here.

There is the Freedom of Information act thing, but I don't think anyone should have to go down that route to get anything out of a student union.

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Old 08-03-2009 at 01:32 PM   #247
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

Attached is the file that we got in our emails regarding the renovations (recieved 10/06/09). Beyond this email, we saw the plans/blueprints for the new facility in the June 13th SRA meeting, as well as the detailed budget proposals. I don't have access to a digital copy of the budget proposals.

This is all I have regarding the renovations. For any SRA/Bod/MSU people who might be reading this, the file is not marked confidential, and so there's no reason to not make it available to MSU members should the request it.

Here's a link to the meeting minutes (draft minutes at that... the revised minutes aren't up yet) from the June 13th MSU Inc. meeting where the expenditure vote took place:

http://www.msumcmaster.ca/content/do.../SRA%2009D.pdf
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Quarters June 10-2009.pdf (204.1 KB, 15 views)

Chad, huzaifa47 all say thanks to Taunton for this post.
Old 08-03-2009 at 01:42 PM   #248
deadpool
X-Man

Liked: 392 Times

Misleading stakeholders is a very grievous offence (Enron, WorldCom, Madoff... lol) so I would hope that there is not much in the way of confidential documents related to the MSU's finances.

Moving on though, great points have been brought up. There is no unified view. Granted, it would be very difficult for the SRA to come up with one. However, the BoD should have put together a business plan for the renovations.

Perhaps they could use the next few weeks to come up with a plan, raw or otherwise, and show the MSU's stakeholders the ideas that are being implemented on the new bar.
Old 08-03-2009 at 01:43 PM   #249
Chad
MacInsiders Staff

The logo has been officially 'announced' on the MSU website...

https://msumcmaster.ca/news/msuNews.htm