MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
University Logo Discussion temara.brown General Discussion 26 08-05-2009 01:18 PM
1280's New Logo Discussion Gets Heated Chad MacInsiders Announcements 34 08-02-2009 01:21 PM
1280's New Logo Revealed Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 07-30-2009 02:24 PM
Welcome Week 2008 Logo Revealed Chad MacInsiders Announcements 9 05-16-2008 08:17 AM
Welcome Week Logo Contest! Chad MacInsiders Announcements 8 05-14-2008 09:38 AM

1280's New logo

Old 08-14-2009 at 12:03 PM   #271
daisy

Liked: 51 Times

Hmm. What is the "E" all about? The way the logo presents itself currently, the "E" gives the impression that it is of extreme (primary) significance in the name -- is it?

The space on the left hand side, between the "twelv" and the "campus" is far too large and kind of "hangs"; it is very unbalanced visually. The same can be said for the words below (campus life begins here or mac lives here or whatever it is...the spacing is very poorly done)

It's like a high school student project that's trying too hard.

Last edited by daisy : 08-14-2009 at 12:13 PM.
Old 08-14-2009 at 12:23 PM   #272
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

LOL. That's the best they came up with? Adding a Gaussian blur and changing the colours?

They should've just used Rohan's logo. 8191823 times better.
Old 08-14-2009 at 12:29 PM   #273
temara.brown
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 352 Times

I think the blur is just too many jpeg compressions... at least we hope it is... hhahaha
Old 08-14-2009 at 01:45 PM   #274
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

Hmm.
I've been reading all 9 pages of this on a 45.2 kbps connection (except some posts cause they were too long) and I've been trying to figure it out.

When I first saw the logo, the E jumped out at me as a unifying factor. I think perhaps it's supposed to symbolise the "centre" the "junction", the "point where things merge" or simply put, "the unifying factor". Associating this with the restaurant might be to draw emphasis to the fact that this what 1280 wishes to be, for the student population.

That being said, I find the logo quite distasteful. It seems too be done quite hurriedly and I think we could have had something much more current and appreciated chosen.

The "E" reminds me of an eye test.
I'm not sure about the rest of the populace reading this but, I'm quite blind myself and if they wished to throw in a free eye test, I think at $7222, I'm quite grateful for the little notification that I can still see. </joke>

In terms of the current logo, I think while we can amend it, it does seem a little bland. To the earlier comments that hinted that the Chapters logo wasn't that great, I have to disagree. I think Chapters has a done a great marketing job and Coles is really where you should hurl those stones. Even if it was branded like Chapters, I think we would have a better reaction to it.

I don't think the logo's lack of creativity is what's really offputting. I personally feel that the lack of relevance is unappealing and not really the wisest decision to make.

Branding is a huge part of corporate culture and while our restaurant may not be a massive multinational sensation, we could stand to learn from the "greats" if you will.

For example, Apple. Crisp, clear, current and brilliant. The logo, the slogans - all work seamlessly and promote unity - another thing that is lacking in this effort.

Yet another example of the importance of branding - Google. To all of those who have following the Microsoft-Yahoo dilemma; the debate on CNN and several other new sources touched upon the fact that Google had incorporated itself into mainstream culture not only as a way of performing a task but as a way of thinking, and as a word.

That's not just because Google sounds cool. The word existed before the search engine. Google, the search engine. marketed itself brilliantly resulting in its revolutionary reception.

Marketing is huge and I think that we've fallen short of the bar.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Last edited by goodnews.inc : 08-14-2009 at 01:46 PM. Reason: Grammatical and spelling errors

temara.brown says thanks to goodnews.inc for this post.
Old 08-14-2009 at 02:03 PM   #275
Infinity
Elite Member

Liked: 93 Times

i like how they have campus life starts here. but the 1280 looks bad
Old 08-19-2009 at 08:56 PM   #276
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,731 Times

Here's the new official logo being used on the MSU Website:

Old 08-19-2009 at 09:23 PM   #277
niteskie
Elite Member

Liked: 45 Times

I like it.

Last edited by niteskie : 08-19-2009 at 09:28 PM.
Old 08-19-2009 at 10:25 PM   #278
florencem.

Liked: 34 Times

michelle says thanks to florencem. for this post.

jachill, Lois, micadjems, michelle like this.
Old 08-19-2009 at 10:44 PM   #279
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 361 Times

Hmm my knee jerk reaction? They still haven't changed the E! Wasn't it established by a tiny majority that alot of us are happy with the logo if it has a non slanted E! :S

lanted E just feels like its crooked and falling to the ground, The point is what are they trying to portray with it?

The only thing that has changed via "student opinion" is the font(which was hated unanimously), which was horrible enough that even they might have noticed it after a couple of days. Or has something else changed too?

*sigh*

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Old 08-19-2009 at 10:50 PM   #280
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by florencem. View Post
They're not talking about the logo.... taking it out of context isn't really all that clever.

The new service is going to be filled with what students want. I can no longer speak for the logo (because I was personally told that there were going to be changes to it), however the venue itself (which is what they're talking about with that little quip) is going to be awesome!

Alvand says thanks to Taunton for this post.
Old 08-19-2009 at 11:25 PM   #281
crucif3x

Liked: 21 Times

Well at least it's better than the original one. But the slanted E is seriously bugging me. I guess I'll just cover it with my hands when I walk in... the food better be good
- Moulton Hall
Old 08-20-2009 at 08:45 AM   #282
zango
Elite Member

Liked: 86 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taunton View Post
They're not talking about the logo.... taking it out of context isn't really all that clever.

The new service is going to be filled with what students want. I can no longer speak for the logo (because I was personally told that there were going to be changes to it), however the venue itself (which is what they're talking about with that little quip) is going to be awesome!
Didn't you say it looked like a rainbow exploded in the bar?
Old 08-20-2009 at 08:53 AM   #283
michelle

Liked: 61 Times

I'm still really not a fan of it at all.

If they're already spending $400k on the renovations, I don't see why a couple hundred bucks to hire a competent designer wasn't deemed as worthy.

daisy, Lois like this.
Old 08-20-2009 at 09:38 AM   #284
zango
Elite Member

Liked: 86 Times

And I'm still hung up on the fact that it says "TwelvEighty" as opposed to "1280", which was the name that appeared on the poll which students voted on, unless they had a different poll later between 1280 and TwelvEighty in which case I'm not sure who would have picked the mispelled/misused conjunction of words.

Maegs, michelle like this.
Old 08-20-2009 at 09:48 AM   #285
Phoenix

Liked: 52 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by zango View Post
Didn't you say it looked like a rainbow exploded in the bar?
no that was another SRA member in context of the colours used inside the bar, but he was wrong about it and the thread that had that topic, was closed due to misinformation. The colours inside look fantastic though!