MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
University Logo Discussion temara.brown General Discussion 26 08-05-2009 01:18 PM
1280's New Logo Discussion Gets Heated Chad MacInsiders Announcements 34 08-02-2009 01:21 PM
1280's New Logo Revealed Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 07-30-2009 02:24 PM
Welcome Week 2008 Logo Revealed Chad MacInsiders Announcements 9 05-16-2008 08:17 AM
Welcome Week Logo Contest! Chad MacInsiders Announcements 8 05-14-2008 09:38 AM

1280's New logo

Old 07-31-2009 at 07:45 AM   #121
finklej
Vice President Education

Liked: 42 Times

I am going to second what Nino said.
This is starting to get out of hand (and earlier I didn't help), but lets have this take a more positive tone.
I have said this before and I will say it again, contact your SRA members directly. Only a few are on MI and if you want real answers (instead of heated argument) then get in contact with them. My email is [email protected].
I am sure that if we come up with some constructive thoughts the BoD will listen.
Old 07-31-2009 at 07:51 AM   #122
HeatherH
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 10 Times

I was hoping they would have used numbers instead.
Old 07-31-2009 at 08:19 AM   #123
zango
Elite Member

Liked: 86 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherH View Post
I was hoping they would have used numbers instead.
i agree, when the name was voted on, it was "1280" not "twelveighty" (haha missing "e")

no seriously though the more i look at it the less i like it, is it a campus pub or a children's bookstore!?

and i still cannot understand the point of the missing "e", i guess its supposed to look "cool" that they tied in two letters, but, its just a fail. lol.
Old 07-31-2009 at 09:03 AM   #124
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by myoozik View Post

Awesome slogan: 1280 Reasons to Love McMaster!

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 07-31-2009 at 10:08 AM   #125
àlacarte

Liked: 8 Times

Haha I would say this whole logo issue has been botched pretty badly.

First off by the sounds of it, the name was voted on and then I am guessing there was an individual or a group who was responsible for the logo. Clearly whoever this was did not spend two weeks working on this logo, but still sent it out to be voted on at the last possible minute. So short that it appears that members of the board didn't even really have a chance to have a critical opinion of it.

Then when it gets posted online , and students start giving critisism on the design certain members of the SRA ( who weren't included in the decision process either apparently) start complaining about students b!tching about things.

As an elected official don't you just hate it when students have opinions other then your own?

And then when students continue to ask why their opinion don't matter, the best response that to those replies so far is : attacking the validity of this forum.

overall this hasn't been handled in a very professional way. SRA members , remember you work for us , not the BoD. Isn't your job to defend our opinions as the student who elected you as opposed to trolling this forum and attacking student who oppose BoD decisions?

Old 07-31-2009 at 10:33 AM   #126
dauphijd

Liked: 1 Time

I would like to apologize in advance to the graphic designer for my faceless critique but to be honest the proposed logo is 1280 different favours of bad. Seriously, the organization has had the entire summer to think about how to rebrand the bar and this is the best that they could come up with, ouch!

Why on earth is a blue varsity “E” the focal point of the logo? Because twelve ends with an “e” and eighty starts with one… are you serious!?! I am curious what this logo is supposed to communicate to us? What is the message?<o></o>
<o></o>
I assume the name 1280 was selected to present the image of community (<st1:street w:st="[/IMG]<st1:address">1280 Main St. W.</st1:street> being our home way from home, our community, our network). How does this EB proposed logo emphasize or complement this branding strategy? I really don’t see how it does, but maybe I am missing something. <o></o>
<o></o>
Question, in all seriousness, does the bar actually have a branding strategy attached the renovation? I’m not talking an idea or a cool colour scheme I mean a document that is hopefully part of a marketing plan (please, please, please tell me there is at least a marketing plan) outlining the goal of the brand identity. Because I don't know what kind of message this logo is supposed to be transmitting.<o></o>

Last edited by lorend : 07-31-2009 at 10:36 AM. Reason: formatting (got rid of those damn formatting smily jerks)
Old 07-31-2009 at 10:43 AM   #127
Bee.Hanson

Liked: 0 Times

Yes, there are 6000 (or something to that effect) students registered
on this website, but that's merely registration. Case in point, I've
been aware of MacInsider's since it began, have been a member since
early June, and yet this is my first post, thus it's not an accurate
conclusion to jump to that this website would be an accurate
representation of the student population. Especially when you consider
McMaster's apathetic tendencies. That, and the hostile environment of
this website aside, MacInsiders is NOT an MSU affiliate, so why would
it be used?

If you really feel that you have a better logo design, or ideas, rather
than posting them here, why not email a member of the Board of
Directors? They are there to represent the student population, and who
knows, they just might think your ideas are better than theirs.

Taunton says thanks to Bee.Hanson for this post.
Old 07-31-2009 at 10:44 AM   #128
fullsmash26
Reporter, Macleans

Liked: 15 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by dauphijd View Post
I would like to apologize in advance to the graphic designer for my faceless critique but to be honest the proposed logo is 1280 different favours of bad. Seriously, the organization has had the entire summer to think about how to rebrand the bar and this is the best that they could come up with, ouch!

Why on earth is a blue varsity “E” the focal point of the logo? Because twelve ends with an “e” and eighty starts with one… are you serious!?! I am curious what this logo is supposed to communicate to us? What is the message?<o></o>
<o></o>
I assume the name 1280 was selected to present the image of community (<st1:street w:st="[/IMG]<st1:address">1280 Main St. W.</st1:street> being our home way from home, our community, our network). How does this EB proposed logo emphasize or complement this branding strategy? I really don’t see how it does, but maybe I am missing something. <o></o>
<o></o>
Question, in all seriousness, does the bar actually have a branding strategy attached the renovation? I’m not talking an idea or a cool colour scheme I mean a document that is hopefully part of a marketing plan (please, please, please tell me there is at least a marketing plan) outlining the goal of the brand identity. Because I don't know what kind of message this logo is supposed to be transmitting.<o></o>
Ian Finlay can answer that question since he was the Vice-President Finance who proposed the whole idea of throwing more money at the Quarters problem.

He should have created the plan for this venture.

Here's waiting for an answer.........
Old 07-31-2009 at 10:48 AM   #129
DannyV
Elite Member

Liked: 207 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee.Hanson View Post
That, and the hostile environment of
this website aside, MacInsiders is NOT an MSU affiliate, so why would
it be used?
Because the MSU has proven itself time and time again unwilling or unable to come up with a website that engages the students they purportedly represent.

Now back to our regularly scheduled discussion about 1280's new logo.
Old 07-31-2009 at 10:49 AM   #130
zango
Elite Member

I'm still stuck on the fact that the name is "1280" and not "twelveighty" as the logo illustrates...
Old 07-31-2009 at 10:49 AM   #131
GraceMcGeach

Liked: 0 Times

Love Ittt!
Awesome job on the new logo BOD!

Last edited by GraceMcGeach : 07-31-2009 at 11:01 AM.
Old 07-31-2009 at 10:51 AM   #132
zango
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceMcGeach View Post
Wow!
Awesome job in the new logo BOD!
Is that a joke?
Old 07-31-2009 at 10:52 AM   #133
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee.Hanson View Post
That, and the hostile environment of
this website aside [...]
I'm incredibly surprised at this comment.

The exec do our best to maintain an environment that is welcoming and pleasant to all members. We have a Terms of Service for the site, which most people obey. If they do not, comments are moderated (deleted/edited as staff sees fit).

We would really like your input on this matter. Please contact us (Chad or myself) via PM or via email ([email protected] m) so we can try to improve the site to better meet the standards of our users.

Sincerely,
Danielle Lorenz
MacInsiders VP Admin

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Chad, temara.brown all say thanks to lorend for this post.
Old 07-31-2009 at 10:52 AM   #134
finklej
Vice President Education

Liked: 42 Times

The MSU website has a forum, but no one uses it. No one had to because MI was an offical MSU club. But I know thats its going to be updated and be used to make offical annoucments and stuff now.
Old 07-31-2009 at 10:54 AM   #135
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Since when was there a forum? There never was one in previous years because of liability issues (i.e. what was being posted and the ability to monitor it). We (Chad and myself) had actually talked to McGowan about it last year.