MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
University Logo Discussion temara.brown General Discussion 26 08-05-2009 01:18 PM
1280's New Logo Discussion Gets Heated Chad MacInsiders Announcements 34 08-02-2009 01:21 PM
1280's New Logo Revealed Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 07-30-2009 02:24 PM
Welcome Week 2008 Logo Revealed Chad MacInsiders Announcements 9 05-16-2008 08:17 AM
Welcome Week Logo Contest! Chad MacInsiders Announcements 8 05-14-2008 09:38 AM

1280's New logo

Old 07-30-2009 at 09:33 PM   #76
florencem.

Liked: 34 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian View Post
OMG, what was seen cannot be unseen. Seriously, I'm mad because every time I'll see it, I'll be bugged by the font difference. ARRRGGG
EDIT: in fact, the whole thing just plays with the eyes in a most unfortunate way.
i can't tell if you're agreeing or are being sarcastic
Old 07-30-2009 at 09:34 PM   #77
adrian
Elite Member

Liked: 143 Times

Agreeing with gusto

florencem. likes this.
Old 07-30-2009 at 09:41 PM   #78
emtee10
Mac Lifer

Liked: 49 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailsnake View Post
Can you clarify exactly why the student representatives didn't consult the student body at all before deciding on the logo, or are we once again going to get ignored and written off while the SRA wonders why no one cares about or respects the MSU anymore?
Hi Tailsnake,

This decision was made by the MSU Executive Board, not the SRA. The SRA doesn't meet regularly over the summer, so the EB performs a number of its functions on the SRA's behalf.

Based on what information I have, I'd say that there are two main reasons that the student body wasn't consulted:

1) Time. The MSU needs a finalized logo design so that it can produce advertisements, uniforms, menus, etc. In order to have things ready for a September opening, the logo needed to be ready now; it couldn't have been finalized later. It couldn't have been done much earlier either, since the 1280 name was only just approved a couple of weeks ago. While student consultation is ideal, it's tough to do while on such a rapid timeline during the summer, particularly when there's no SRA meeting at which a formal, fully representative vote on the matter can occur.

I know that someone is probably going to respond by saying that it wouldn't be hard to post the proposed logo here on MacInsiders at least a few days before the decision was to be made. I agree. However, MacInsiders isn't a particularly representative example of student opinion. I know that the vast majority of students in my program, for example, never visit MacInsiders. An SRA meeting, with representatives from every faculty speaking on the matter, is the only way to get a truly representative set of opinions.

2) I think it might be a bit unfair to blame the average SRA member for not performing consulations. Most members were not aware that the decision on a logo was being made today (even those like myself who try to pay attention) since the issue was not on the agenda for today's EB meeting. Some of us didn't hear about the decision until it was posted in the Sil. However, the SRA ultimately agreed to let the EB make some decisions on its behalf and, for better or for worse, this is the decision that the EB made.

Somehow I don't feel as though picking a logo for 1280 constitutes a particularly egregious case of the MSU writing off student opinion. It just seems like a mountain being made out of a molehill.

Last edited by emtee10 : 07-30-2009 at 09:51 PM. Reason: My poor grammar must be destroyed.

Alvand, BlakeM, Nino, Tailsnake, Taunton all say thanks to emtee10 for this post.

Alicia02, finklej like this.
Old 07-30-2009 at 09:45 PM   #79
AlchemistX

Liked: 11 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by finklej View Post
Wow, there is a lot of bitching for a bloody logo.
I dont know about most of you, but when I go to 1280 its going to be because I want to eat or drink or have a good time, and last time I checked that has nothing to so with what the logo looks like.
So what if it is not something you like, its not going to change what 1280 does, which is serve you.
I am going to go there regardless of what the logo is.
Why dont we ***** and debate about something thats actually going to effect us, not what the staff is going to have on their shirts.
Students elected to represent students but don't even take into consideration what the students think or feel. Image is a huge part in selling any product or service and the image generally reflects the quality of said product or service. If people don't like the logo it will instantly create negativity towards 1280. The least that you guys could have done was given us options, just like what happened with the names. The logo is weak and if you want to market this place so it is better than Quarters, and actually succeeds, you need to step that sh*t up. Seriously, looks like it was thrown together before the meeting. And what is with the emphasis on the 'E'?

scott000 likes this.
Old 07-30-2009 at 09:48 PM   #80
adrian
Elite Member

Liked: 143 Times

E is for Excrement my friend. Mods tell me if that was too much...
Old 07-30-2009 at 09:53 PM   #81
finklej
Vice President Education

Liked: 42 Times

Allow me to rephrase myself, I wrote that post in haste and my message is not clear. I spoke too soon in writing it, and it was a misstep on my part, for that I am sorry.
What I am saying is that whats done is done, please read post #78 by emtee10 for the reasons why.
The logo was not given to the SRA to look over, and you cannot blame the SRA or its members for something they had nothing to do with.
If you wish to voice your disapproval, please contact the Board of Directors or the members of the Executive Board.
But, at this point we can do little about it and what I was trying to say is that since the logo is out of our hands lets work to dealing with things we can have a real and positive effect on

emtee10, Taunton like this.
Old 07-30-2009 at 09:55 PM   #82
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by emtee10 View Post
Hi Tailsnake,

This decision was made by the MSU Executive Board, not the SRA. The SRA doesn't meet regularly over the summer, so the EB performs a number of its functions on the SRA's behalf.

Based on what information I have, I'd say that there are two main reasons that the student body wasn't consulted:

1) Time. The MSU needs a finalized logo design so that it can produce advertisements, uniforms, menus, etc. In order to have things ready for a September opening, the logo needed to be ready now; it couldn't have been finalized later. It couldn't have been done much either, since the 1280 name was only just approved a couple of weeks ago. While student consultation is ideal, it's tough to do while on such a rapid timeline during the summer, particularly when there's no SRA meeting at which a formal, fully representative vote on the matter can occur.

I know that someone is probably going to respond by sating that it wouldn't be hard to post the proposed logo here on MacInsiders at least a few days before the decision was to be made. I agree. However, MacInsiders isn't a particularly representative example of student opinion. I know that the vast majority of students in my program, for example, never visit MacInsiders. An SRA meeting, with representatives from every faculty speaking on the matter, is the only way to get a truly representative set of opinions.

2) I think it might be a bit unfair to blame the average SRA member for not performing consulations. Most members were not aware that the decision on a logo was being made today (even those like myself who try to pay attention) since the issue was not on the agenda for today's EB meeting. Some of us didn't hear about the decision until it was posted in the Sil. However, the SRA ultimately agreed to let the EB make some decisions on its behalf and, for better or for worse, this is the decision that the EB made.

Somehow I don't feel as though picking a logo for 1280 constitutes a particularly egregious case of the MSU writing off student opinion. It just seems like a mountain being made out of a molehill.
Thanks for being open with us, I know you feel we're making too big of a deal out of this, but it feels like there just doesn't seem to be enough give and take between the SRA and the student body; the logo situation was perceived to be symptomatic of that situation. I understand the tight deadlines (when all of this was announced back during the school year I had already assumed all this conceptual work had been done and it was only the physical renovations left for the summer, rushing through all these decisions now just feels sloppy).

I understand all of this was out of your power, what I do want to know is if any changes can be made to this logo. I know it's too late to get the logo that we as students could all be proud of, but there are some glaring issues with this one. I see no reason why we can't polish this logo so it doesn't look like something taken out of a low level highschool media arts class, it would still be essentially the same logo as ratified, just not as amateurish, it's the least we can do if the goal is really to put a new face on the school bar.

emtee10, florencem. all say thanks to Tailsnake for this post.
Old 07-30-2009 at 09:56 PM   #83
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 361 Times

I disagree slightly, The name was decided 2 Weeks ago at Bark Lake Right? What is the next step after you decide a name: The Logo, its pretty much a no brainer since as you mentioned you need uniforms, signboards and other stuff to be made in time before September 1st(If I assume for a second that hypothetically it takes exactly one month to get it done; August 1st- September 1st). So then why is it that you couldn't have posted on the MSU website(It would have been forwarded to Insiders by the Admins) that you guys need a Logo? We have a decent sized Multimedia/Art Major population who by chance might have read it or random designers like Rohan(who in a couple of hours did a far better job then that horrible Sans Serif logo).

Secondly once again, I don't buy the fact that Insiders isn't an reliable source, Random Sampling is a pretty valid reseach method and Insiders does fill that criteria with over 6000 members. SRA could have been mass emailed to put up notes/status updates on Facebook to contact their constituents(I'm assuming alot of their voters are most probably on their friend list) so in other words chances are people would have seen it. Even if it had been ineffective it would have been better to atleast make an attempt to make it "democratic"

And lastly I am somewhat dissapointed by the usage of the word "bitching"; student opinion is NOT bitching. Most of the people If I recall weren't directly and personally attacking any SRA member when that comment was made. This is one of the reasons why people get disillusioned, when their opinions are disregarded

Also why do you think Multinationals spend millions every year on Multimedia/Advertising research and Consumer Surveys and other stuff that aims to find out what exactly makes a customer buy a certain product.

Plus even if it isn't directly the SRA members fault, which I full understand; the fact of the matter is that EB contains four BOD members and the rest are "SRA" members. In other words even the Non-EB SRA members if reading the outpour of criticism against the logo can directly contact the BOD and ask them to reconsider. The BOD probably isn't reading this(though three of them have Insider accounts) but you guys can atleast re-assure us that you will do something about it rather then calling it "trivial"

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Last edited by huzaifa47 : 07-30-2009 at 10:01 PM.

BlakeM, Chad, florencem., lorend all say thanks to huzaifa47 for this post.

Old 07-30-2009 at 09:57 PM   #84
AlchemistX

Liked: 11 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by emtee10 View Post
Hi Tailsnake,

1) Time. The MSU needs a finalized logo design so that it can produce advertisements, uniforms, menus, etc. In order to have things ready for a September opening, the logo needed to be ready now; it couldn't have been finalized later. It couldn't have been done much earlier either, since the 1280 name was only just approved a couple of weeks ago. While student consultation is ideal, it's tough to do while on such a rapid timeline during the summer, particularly when there's no SRA meeting at which a formal, fully representative vote on the matter can occur.

I know that someone is probably going to respond by saying that it wouldn't be hard to post the proposed logo here on MacInsiders at least a few days before the decision was to be made. I agree. However, MacInsiders isn't a particularly representative example of student opinion. I know that the vast majority of students in my program, for example, never visit MacInsiders. An SRA meeting, with representatives from every faculty speaking on the matter, is the only way to get a truly representative set of opinions.

Alright so they were short on time, which is totally understandable. But does anyone else remember the fact that on the MSU website they had concept logo designs for the names for, correct me if I'm wrong, The Scholar? They could have made concept designs for all the names and have us also choose a logo to go with the name we voted for.
Old 07-30-2009 at 09:58 PM   #85
finklej
Vice President Education

I agree with you on the preception of little give and take. This is why I ask, actually, this is why I beg of you, all of you, to contact your SRA members with any problems/comments/ideas/concerns/awesome ways to cook chicken, literally anything.
We cannot address the problems that we dont know about, and thats why we need you.
Let us represent you better by helping us.

Alicia02, Taunton like this.
Old 07-30-2009 at 10:01 PM   #86
finklej
Vice President Education

@Huzaifa
I said I was sorry for my eariler post and I have rephrased my comments.
Old 07-30-2009 at 10:08 PM   #87
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 361 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by finklej View Post
@Huzaifa
I said I was sorry for my eariler post and I have rephrased my comments.
Oh okay I take that back then!

I hadn't typed up/submitted my post before you re-phrased/made additional posts i.e: I didn't read it!

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Old 07-30-2009 at 10:21 PM   #88
myoozik

Because it's fun to play on photoshop, I'm going to put something up.

I apologize for the cruddiness of it, as I am no deadpool, but this is just to send a message that IDEAS and CREATIVITY exist outside of the B.O.D. and it would be nice to be consulted once in a while (and that means something more than a "these are your choices - go nuts").

All in all, the big E in the current logo really really bugs me.

Last edited by myoozik : 07-30-2009 at 11:06 PM.

Old 07-30-2009 at 10:24 PM   #89
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

Well this thread went crazy, but, I don't hate the logo. Honestly it's finnee. I think we students love to complain about things that are even just slightly off lol.

The only thing I don't like is the 'E' it doesn't flow with the rest.
Old 07-30-2009 at 10:31 PM   #90
emtee10
Mac Lifer

Liked: 49 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailsnake View Post
Thanks for being open with us, I know you feel we're making too big of a deal out of this, but it feels like there just doesn't seem to be enough give and take between the SRA and the student body; the logo situation was perceived to be symptomatic of that situation. I understand the tight deadlines (when all of this was announced back during the school year I had already assumed all this conceptual work had been done and it was only the physical renovations left for the summer, rushing through all these decisions now just feels sloppy).
I know what you mean. The MSU has certain communication issues that have existed for some time. I'm not going to say that they're about to disappear, cause they're not; but they will get better. Unfortunately it's tough during the summer when many SRA members are on leaves of absense and others (such as myself) are out of town and can't get involved in day-to-day MSU business. SRA members do need to take initiative and keep students in the loop, which will become much more possible in the fall.

However, I think that part of the issue is that, while we try to represent you, we don't always know what matters most to you. I would never have expected such polarized opposition to a logo, which strikes me as a mundane detail. I really hope that when something matters to you, you'll contact us directly via phone or email to let us know. Alot of people use MacInsiders to complain about what the MSU is doing or what it has done, but complaining is easy to do and it doesn't always help us improve our ability to represent you. There is definitely some give and take involved, and while we need to do alot on our end, I really hope that students who feel strongly about certain issues will make efforts to make sure we know.

Quote:
I understand all of this was out of your power, what I do want to know is if any changes can be made to this logo. I know it's too late to get the logo that we as students could all be proud of, but there are some glaring issues with this one. I see no reason why we can't polish this logo so it doesn't look like something taken out of a low level highschool media arts class, it would still be essentially the same logo as ratified, just not as amateurish, it's the least we can do if the goal is really to put a new face on the school bar.
This is an interesting question, which hopefully someone from the EB can answer. I know that the SRA House Leader (who sits on the EB) will be posting something to the SRA blog about it.

If I find out anything further I will post it here. Thank you for being so civil and for speaking out on these issues. I really hope that by the end of this everyone will be satisfied with the situation.

jmbauman says thanks to emtee10 for this post.

Taunton likes this.