MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
University Logo Discussion temara.brown General Discussion 26 08-05-2009 01:18 PM
1280's New Logo Discussion Gets Heated Chad MacInsiders Announcements 34 08-02-2009 01:21 PM
1280's New Logo Revealed Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 07-30-2009 02:24 PM
Welcome Week 2008 Logo Revealed Chad MacInsiders Announcements 9 05-16-2008 08:17 AM
Welcome Week Logo Contest! Chad MacInsiders Announcements 8 05-14-2008 09:38 AM

1280's New logo

Old 07-30-2009 at 06:56 PM   #46
deadpool
X-Man

Liked: 394 Times

I was going to say a lot more but decided that I will just voice my displeasure as a designer, and not as someone who has to go to that bar, see that logo and wear it to work.
Old 07-30-2009 at 06:59 PM   #47
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by micadjems View Post
I just think many of you are being naive in thinking this renovation is going to change anything...
It'll certainly change the number of regular customers at The Phoenix.

DannyV likes this.
Old 07-30-2009 at 07:00 PM   #48
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 361 Times

lol that is pretty brilliant, It was a horrible design the moment I saw it here; something about it just didn't seem right. Are the designers the same guys who came up with the rather brilliant "Original" list of names for Quarters?(The one in April/May which had such horrible names that alot of people ended up voting for Quarters to be kept as a name as it is!)I wouldn't be surprised.

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

scott000 likes this.
Old 07-30-2009 at 07:26 PM   #49
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 473 Times

Horrible logo.

I suggest holding a competition to create the logo. A competition would hopefully bring out a group of much better logo choices. The MSU/whoever's in charge could pick their favourites of the submissions and then there could be a poll.

I certainly hope the final decision on this logo hasn't been made yet.

scott000 likes this.
Old 07-30-2009 at 07:28 PM   #50
AlchemistX

Liked: 11 Times

Not a fan of the logo at all, looks cheesy. It would have been better if they had used the number 1280 instead of spelling it. Chad's design was pretty sick and I was expecting something more along those lines. And the tag line IMO is pretty weak.
Old 07-30-2009 at 07:59 PM   #51
crucif3x

Liked: 21 Times

Yeah... um... reminds me of Chapters? That isn't a good thing especially when I want to ESCAPE books at Quarters LOL or 1280 ....

I really thought they would use the number 1280 instead of spelling it. It would make it seem so much more "modern" if they used the numbers. Oh well.
- Moulton Hall
Old 07-30-2009 at 08:10 PM   #52
deadpool
X-Man

Liked: 394 Times

So, from what I hear this is the logo of 1280. Here are my problems with this logo:

1) I don't know what message it is trying to convey. Are we expecting a collegiate type bar named "E" or what? WHY IS THE E the emphasis of this.

2) Didn't the students make it VERY clear that we wanted a bar named 1280? Didn't the SRA make it clear that the new name of Quarters is 1280, and not Twelve Eighty. Regardless, that is a small thing.

3) Why is it that nobody can seem to produce a bunch of mockups. From what I have seen, the designer gave a similar mockup to this design, but with an E in a congruent font. Next thing I know, there is a collegiate E that is out of place.

4) This logo does not make me feel like I am at Mac, nor does it make me feel like I want to go eat at this place. Quarters has always had an identity problem, and from the logo, it seems as if 1280 does as well. WHY ARE YOU NOT GIVING US WHAT WE WANT??!

WE, THE STUDENTS OF MCMASTER, WANT A PLACE WHERE THE FOOD IS CHEAP, BUT GOOD. WE WANT A PLACE WHERE THE SERVERS ARE ATTENTIVE, POLITE AND PROFESSIONAL. WE WANT A PLACE WHERE WE CAN GO ENJOY OUR THURSDAY AND SATURDAY NIGHTS WITHOUT BEING MOLESTED, OR ATTACKED BY OTHER STUDENTS.

WE WANT A PLACE TO HANG OUT, THAT WE CAN BE PROUD TO CALL OUR OWN.

If this was a decision made by the Quarters staff, I would not be irritated one bit. They have an operation to run, and the name and dressing of the place should be second to the quality of that operation.

But this is being done by the so-called representatives of our student union? If so, REPRESENT US. If you are going to micromanage every service, and interfere in the name process, design process, then do so with the opinions of the students in mind. When you show us a final design that you, our representatives, voted on, in our names, we expect it to be good.

Now, I am SURE that people are going to call me out and say "well Rohan, if you are so angry about this, why don't you make some designs".

I say "well, the EB consists of 9 members, all of whom are well aware that I am a graphic designer. YET, none of these people asked me for as much as an opinion."

Nevertheless, here are some mock ups I made since the last time I posted a message. They aren't polished because I don't want to spend any more time on a moot cause.

Chad, huzaifa47, ladyh, lorend, LWright all say thanks to deadpool for this post.

Old 07-30-2009 at 08:16 PM   #53
crucif3x

Liked: 21 Times

HAHA it's kinda funny how I find anyone of your design infinitely better than the one they have... I particularly like the first "Twelve Eighty Restaurant & Bar" one, looks classy without being too formal. The last 1280 one is awesome too, i like numbers But it reminds me too much of the CES logo: http://www.pathosacoustics.c om/img/CES_logo09.jpg

Maybe 1280 in the middle circle one would be AWESOME...too bad your aren't the real designer :(
- Moulton Hall

florencem. likes this.
Old 07-30-2009 at 08:37 PM   #54
florencem.

Liked: 34 Times

Agreed. I like all of deadpools SO much better. The "twelveighty" they chose one looks like it belongs on a book cover. I immediately noticed the serif font issue as well.
Old 07-30-2009 at 08:44 PM   #55
DannyV
Elite Member

Liked: 207 Times

I like the third one from the top, or even the fourth one.
Old 07-30-2009 at 08:47 PM   #56
ferreinm
Elite Member

Liked: 120 Times

I find it strange that they never asked students for submissions. It's OUR bar we should have had some more say. By the way, great job Rohan! =)
Old 07-30-2009 at 08:48 PM   #57
PTGregD
Elite Member

Liked: 349 Times

Rohan continues to impress me with each subsequent post he makes.

I like the 3rd one and the last one (Bottom right).
Old 07-30-2009 at 08:48 PM   #58
adrian
Elite Member

Liked: 143 Times

Hey GUIZE,
IM NOT THE OFFICIAL LOGO MAKER, BUT LIKE THEM I USED PAINT AND CAME UP WITH THIS, TELL ME WHAT YOU THINK!!!
HERP DERP
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1280.jpg (16.0 KB, 56 views)

Alvand, temara.brown like this.
Old 07-30-2009 at 08:49 PM   #59
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

everything Rohan posted there, though all of them could still use quite a bit of work before they should be an official logo, are quite a bit better than what the SRA seems to be trying to stick us with. I just hope that he gets his point across and they go back to the drawing board on the logo issue.
Old 07-30-2009 at 08:50 PM   #60
temara.brown
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 352 Times

Omg Yay Paint!