MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
University Logo Discussion temara.brown General Discussion 26 08-05-2009 01:18 PM
1280's New Logo Discussion Gets Heated Chad MacInsiders Announcements 34 08-02-2009 01:21 PM
1280's New Logo Revealed Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 07-30-2009 02:24 PM
Welcome Week 2008 Logo Revealed Chad MacInsiders Announcements 9 05-16-2008 08:17 AM
Welcome Week Logo Contest! Chad MacInsiders Announcements 8 05-14-2008 09:38 AM

1280's New logo

Old 07-30-2009 at 10:37 PM   #91
FireDragoonX
Elite Member

Liked: 142 Times

protip: The Quarters logos (both the older silver one and the newer red "restolounge:club " one) sucked too.
Old 07-30-2009 at 10:51 PM   #92
florencem.

Liked: 34 Times

I don't believe any of the comments I've ever made were intended to sound like complaints or whiny. They're my opinions and I've taken the time to offer them up when I never really had to. Macinsiders is a great forum for discussion and, IMO, is probably better than just emailing. In fact, I will email them and my email will be directing them to this forum.

This logo is just not right. You are trying to change the whole image of this venue. You're seeking positive student feedback and the logo is not just a small detail. It is something that represents the tone of the entire location and is even more important than the name, in my opinion. You want to attract our business and here is a GREAT way to gauge your success prior to a heavy investment.

If I were to just see this on a poster some where, I would think less of what it probably is just based on a quick look at it. It looks cheap - why? Well, the font selection is a huge factor in that. The "E" block letter is really childish too.

I believe the Quarters logo went through a change in the past and it did not aquire anything close to the discussion this is getting. Take that into consideration. You can make the changes to this thing. The vote can be reconsidered. The staff shirts have likely not been ordered. If they have, maybe bust out a sharpie? Either way, this should be changed.

All in all, with the feedback that has been received here, I'd say it'd be unacceptable to ignore.

Chad, scott000 like this.
Old 07-30-2009 at 10:52 PM   #93
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 470 Times

How disappointing to read that this is the final logo. Glad to see the MSU cares about what students want.

The main thing wrong with it is that ridiculous E in the middle. Umm what? Just because there's an E in both words doesn't mean the E should be a focal point. It looks stupid in that font and I don't think it should be Twelv E ighty. It should have been numbers for starters since that was what was voted on 1280, not Twelve Eighty.

What's done is done but that doesn't mean the students have to like it, especially since they weren't consulted at all.

Gilmour, scott000 like this.
Old 07-30-2009 at 11:00 PM   #94
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

Y'all need to relax for a second haha, I wasn't trying to get at someone's goat, I was just saying that the logo is... not that significant, at least to me. I honestly can't have a real opinion on it, unless I see it up in person along with the place's decor.
Old 07-30-2009 at 11:01 PM   #95
Ian Finlay

Liked: 28 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by finklej View Post
The logo is just to trivial and such a small part of the entire package.
I do agree that the place needs to be rebanded, but as was pointed out, this is not set in stone.
People should be more concerned with what they want seen on the menu and not the logo in the top corner of the menu.

Thanks to Huzaifa who touched on this already but are logos trivial? No offense joe, but a ton of others are saying this too. But dont multi national and huge businesses and even small businesses spend tens to hundreds of millions of dollars on logo design alone plus the thousands of millions on branding? Obviously I know the MSU doesnt have the resources like this, but they could at least put a bit more effort into it.

I urge the BoD and the SRA to stop production on this logo, or even use these things produced as a "one off mistake collectors special edition item" and move on with a new good logo. No one remembers the "Sir Williams Quarters" phase of Quarters.

P.s. Seriously?!?!?! Three fonts in one logo?!!?

florencem., huzaifa47 all say thanks to Ian Finlay for this post.

.:callen:., Maegs like this.
Old 07-30-2009 at 11:10 PM   #96
jmbauman
Union Market Manager

Liked: 32 Times

For anyone interested, the SRA House Leader has updated the SRA Blog: http://php.orbiscommunicatio ns.com/srablog/

Taunton says thanks to jmbauman for this post.
Old 07-30-2009 at 11:16 PM   #97
myoozik

Liked: 42 Times

I guess we're going to have to wait for the RE-branding of 1280 in 2 or 3 years, when a future B.O.D. (hopefully) will deem one of its largest "money makers" worthy enough to have some time spent on its image.

To be honest, there had to have been some sort of planning put into every aspect of the project. Otherwise, wouldn't it have been a rush job (which is what it is now feeling like)?
Old 07-30-2009 at 11:25 PM   #98
Gilmour

Liked: 4 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmbauman View Post
For anyone interested, the SRA House Leader has updated the SRA Blog: http://php.orbiscommunicatio ns.com/srablog/
In my opinion this is the most cop out post I have seen. "sorry there is nothing we can do now"

Do something! You are the houseleader! and on the EB? I have done ordering of shirts for sports teams in highschool and it takes easily 2 weeks max, if not less time if you flirt with the people a bit(not flirt but be nice and say please a lot) If you had them today what about a walk around the student centre quicly asking? There are a ton of people there. From what I hear the president a few years ago would walk around the student centre talking to students! Are you afraid to come down and talk to regular students? take 30 mins out of your busy day and show us some pictures, then you would have had a better idea of what it should be!

Old 07-30-2009 at 11:29 PM   #99
florencem.

Liked: 34 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilmour View Post
In my opinion this is the most cop out post I have seen. "sorry there is nothing we can do now"

Do something! You are the houseleader! and on the EB? I have done ordering of shirts for sports teams in highschool and it takes easily 2 weeks max, if not less time if you flirt with the people a bit(not flirt but be nice and say please a lot) If you had them today what about a walk around the student centre quicly asking? There are a ton of people there. From what I hear the president a few years ago would walk around the student centre talking to students! Are you afraid to come down and talk to regular students? take 30 mins out of your busy day and show us some pictures, then you would have had a better idea of what it should be!
here here

Gilmour likes this.
Old 07-30-2009 at 11:34 PM   #100
casey.park
SRA Member

Liked: 27 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilmour View Post

Well, the three mock-ups were sent to me on Monday and, to be frank, I was working in my other job for the summer at the time and had to make a decision over e-mail like others on the Executive Board. I would love to work full time as House Leader for the year, however, I have to work another job to have enough money to last the school year.

It's a staple for many MSU jobs to work well over the amount one is paid for, however, being paid only 5 hours/week for the summer won't pay the bills come September.
Old 07-30-2009 at 11:36 PM   #101
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 360 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmbauman View Post
I have just emailed Casey about a couple of things that I needed clarification about, but ONCE again I disagree with the notion that Insiders isn't an official source/arena since it is no longer an MSU club, that personally for me is a loophole that is being exploited.

Just like that President from a few years ago, elected officials in my opinion should make every effort to facilitate the pursuit of student opinion. You can't just have things your way and ask people to go to the rudimentary and nonexistant(in terms of views) MSU forums or ask people to email/call you, I don't think everyone will go through the effort of doing that. Even if hypothetically they do, how many emails can a person handle? 100? 200? Even that is 1-2% of the student body. It would work much better if things are done over here so that a potential audience of 6000+ can read and discuss and explain stuff to each other.

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

florencem. says thanks to huzaifa47 for this post.
Old 07-30-2009
florencem.
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 07-30-2009 at 11:44 PM   #102
myoozik

Liked: 42 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by casey.park View Post
Well, the three mock-ups were sent to me on Monday and, to be frank, I was working in my other job for the summer at the time and had to make a decision over e-mail like others on the Executive Board. I would love to work full time as House Leader for the year, however, I have to work another job to have enough money to last the school year.

It's a staple for many MSU jobs to work well over the amount one is paid for, however, being paid only 5 hours/week for the summer won't pay the bills come September.

Casey, I don't think the amount of time you put into your job as House Leader is in question. We all have jobs too. Your response showed nothing (from my standpoint) but "Too bad so sad. There are more important things than doing my job." Not trying to be a pain in the ass, but your position requires way more than "I can't devote the time because I need to make money."

I think the QUALITY of the responses and the overall EFFORT put into notifying, or even consulting, thousands of MSU members is the issue here. We just want to know why there wasn't ample time given to creating a logo, image, or even the name. It was just as easy to say "Coming in September, a completely new restaurant and bar for all students to enjoy" as it was to say "This is what we're going with for now so that we can put something in the MSU mailer."
Old 07-30-2009 at 11:48 PM   #103
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 360 Times

Quote:
"Hey Huzaifa,

The Board of Directors took the lead on the design of the logo, the origin of which I'm not certain of. However, the first I've seen of the mock-ups was on Monday July 27 and the President asked for a response by 5 PM on the same day. I was working in my other job at the same time and had to reply over e-mail negating any chance of consulting students.

I hope that clears up any confusion and feel free to post the contents of this reply on MacInsiders.
_____________________ _________
Casey Park
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
Hey Mr Park,

So as much as my personal philosophy prefers stuff(question/answers) to be posted directly on Insiders(so that a larger viewerbase c an view it based on one persons effort/articulation), I guess I don't have a choice given the fact that Insiders is no longer an MSU club.

I don't understand your statement that "I do not know if the mock-ups could have been delivered earlier to EB members"; If the 1280 was decided as the official name at Bark Lake two weeks ago why is it that it took that long for the designer(I don't know who it is :S) to submit stuff Monday Morning(I suppose that's what you mean by earlier this week) when Mr Rohan Nair took just a couple of hours to come up with Material that is according to opinion of a random sampling of students on Insiders better then the official logo. There must be hundreds of Multimedia/Art students who if this was posted on the Monday after Bark Lake would have submitted logos(possibly for free) much much before then your official designer(most probably within THAT week only). I suppose its even unfair on EB when they were given just under a day(The Monday you are talking about is the 27th I suppose?); but if you are reffering to next Monday then I suppose there is still time to put up a poll on the MSU website(Ask for submissions on Insiders,include the other two options that the EB had, alot of people seem to like Rohan's work, you could finetune that and include it) and then submit a more democratic and popular version? I assume a name isn't like a bylaw/policy that can't be undone, assuming there still are four days till Monday!

Thanks alot for reading!

Huzaifa Saeed.
Grr, I wonder what the origins of the Logo are(Given the fact that it took Rohan hours to come up with something more imaginative) :S
And doesn't anyone else find it wierd that an EB member(Mr Park) is given only a few hours to formulate a somewhat important descision(The "important" notion is reference to mine and Mr Finlay's point regarding the make/break value of branding)? Why is it such a rush job :S

It is as if the EB was "forced" into blindingly saying okay to that logo due to that impossible time restriction on the descision :S Deja Vu much?

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Old 07-30-2009 at 11:52 PM   #104
casey.park
SRA Member

Liked: 27 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by myoozik View Post
Casey, I don't think the amount of time you put into your job as House Leader is in question. We all have jobs too. Your response showed nothing (from my standpoint) but "Too bad so sad. There are more important things than doing my job." Not trying to be a pain in the ass, but your position requires way more than "I can't devote the time because I need to make money."

I think the QUALITY of the responses and the overall EFFORT put into notifying, or even consulting, thousands of MSU members is the issue here. We just want to know why there wasn't ample time given to creating a logo, image, or even the name. It was just as easy to say "Coming in September, a completely new restaurant and bar for all students to enjoy" as it was to say "This is what we're going with for now so that we can put something in the MSU mailer."
Obviously some elucidation is required:

The first I've seen the logos was on Monday July 27th at 9:30 AM in an e-mail from the President. Executive Board members were asked to vote on their selection by 5:00 PM on the same day.

I was working at my other job at the time and could not even afford to take time to even e-mail the Health Science students I represent over Learnlink given the stipulated deadline. If I had the chance, I would have given my track record with consultation with my constituents.

I don't think anyone is to blame for this issue given the time constraints. Since this thread has cropped up, the Executive Board is now reconsidering the much maligned 'E'.