MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
University Logo Discussion temara.brown General Discussion 26 08-05-2009 01:18 PM
1280's New Logo Discussion Gets Heated Chad MacInsiders Announcements 34 08-02-2009 01:21 PM
1280's New Logo Revealed Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 07-30-2009 02:24 PM
Welcome Week 2008 Logo Revealed Chad MacInsiders Announcements 9 05-16-2008 08:17 AM
Welcome Week Logo Contest! Chad MacInsiders Announcements 8 05-14-2008 09:38 AM

1280's New logo

Old 07-30-2009 at 08:50 PM   #61
finklej
Vice President Education

Liked: 42 Times

Wow, there is a lot of bitching for a bloody logo.
I dont know about most of you, but when I go to 1280 its going to be because I want to eat or drink or have a good time, and last time I checked that has nothing to so with what the logo looks like.
So what if it is not something you like, its not going to change what 1280 does, which is serve you.
I am going to go there regardless of what the logo is.
Why dont we ***** and debate about something thats actually going to effect us, not what the staff is going to have on their shirts.
Old 07-30-2009 at 08:55 PM   #62
PTGregD
Elite Member

Liked: 349 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by finklej View Post
I dont know about most of you, but when I go to 1280 its going to be because I want to eat or drink or have a good time, and last time I checked that has nothing to so with what the logo looks like.
So what if it is not something you like, its not going to change what 1280 does, which is serve you.
Why dont we ***** and debate about something thats actually going to effect us, not what the staff is going to have on their shirts.
Just to play devil's advocate; If it's all about having a good time, why was there debate about the name? Since a name plays as much of a role as a logo in the grand scheme of things, which is nothing, according to you.

I totally agree that it will come down to service, food, prices, etc. to determine whether 1280 is good or not, but the logo, like the name, are all part of the package, and it would be nice to not have some thrown together abomination like the logo presented.

The catchphrase is probably the worst part. I don't think you want to advertise that a bar is the reason you would come to McMaster.

I think instead of dismissing our "b*tching", you should take it in stride as FEEDBACK. That way you can hopefully incorporate it into making the best possible experience (The ENTIRE package) for the students. That is the point, right?

nila*, scott000 all say thanks to PTGregD for this post.

Bobble likes this.
Old 07-30-2009 at 09:00 PM   #63
emtee10
Mac Lifer

Liked: 49 Times

There seems to be a bit of confusion/misinformation regarding whether or not the 1280 logo is tentative or final, and I'd like to clear some of it up.

The logo design, as posted, is final and was officially ratified by the Executive Board today. The fonts, etc. are what they are. The only part of the logo that is still being tweaked is the slogan ("Campus Life Begins Here") and the EB will be finalizing it at some point in the not-too-distant future.

I'm not going to get embroiled in the discussion on whether the logo rocks or sucks, since it's ultimately a matter of taste. Some are going to like it; others aren't. At the end of the day, I don't think that the experience students have at 1280 will be defined by a graphic on the wall.
Old 07-30-2009 at 09:00 PM   #64
ferreinm
Elite Member

Liked: 120 Times

Advertising is going to play a major role in this project. If the logo doesn't display a set image, students won't attend and you'll have a Quarters part two. Yeah, the food and such play a vital role as well. However, the logo and name are what attract students to it in the first place.

Old 07-30-2009 at 09:00 PM   #65
DannyV
Elite Member

Liked: 207 Times

Quote:
Affect even.

micadjems likes this.
Old 07-30-2009 at 09:00 PM   #66
finklej
Vice President Education

The logo is just to trivial and such a small part of the entire package.
I do agree that the place needs to be rebanded, but as was pointed out, this is not set in stone.
People should be more concerned with what they want seen on the menu and not the logo in the top corner of the menu.
Old 07-30-2009 at 09:01 PM   #67
finklej
Vice President Education

Nevermind, Matt posted as I was writing, and it is final.
So, now its done and lets move on to more important matters.
Old 07-30-2009 at 09:07 PM   #68
Phoenix

Liked: 52 Times

Quote:
The logo, for students is pretty big in my opinion Joe. That's the first thing people are going to see, especially first years. They get that information package in the mail and to be honest, a bad logo for a restaurant/lounge/club, isn't going to help in my opinion. While I do agree that there are more important things like the menu, the fact that the logo was posted on MI and this being a forum, the students have a voice. If the menu of 1280 would be posted, I'm sure that there would be feedback as well.

Old 07-30-2009 at 09:07 PM   #69
florencem.

Liked: 34 Times

I can't believe what I just read. That was dispicable... bitching? please. I'm sorry but when information is presented and we're able to make opinions, they're going to happen. Why don't you take heed of them instead of whining yourself. The menu may be more important to you but when I see that no one even cares about having a decent graphic - something that is relatively simple to do (c'mon.. know yer fonts! geeze) - what am I to think about the rest of it?!?

"
The logo design, as posted, is final and was officially ratified by the Executive Board today. The fonts, etc. are what they are. The only part of the logo that is still being tweaked is the slogan ("Campus Life Begins Here") and the EB will be finalizing it at some point in the not-too-distant future."

and students are mad about it. Are you going to do something about it? Or do you even care.. You can overturn a basic decision like this. That's no big deal... especially since the thing isn't finalized yet anyways.

At the very least fix the serif/sans serif font thing. That will actually irritate the hell outta me if you don't.. I know this campus isn't full of many graphics/multimedia people but come on. This logo is really very sad.

Phoenix, scott000 all say thanks to florencem. for this post.

Old 07-30-2009 at 09:09 PM   #70
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by emtee10 View Post
There seems to be a bit of confusion/misinformation regarding whether or not the 1280 logo is tentative or final, and I'd like to clear some of it up.

The logo design, as posted, is final and was officially ratified by the Executive Board today. The fonts, etc. are what they are. The only part of the logo that is still being tweaked is the slogan ("Campus Life Begins Here") and the EB will be finalizing it at some point in the not-too-distant future.

I'm not going to get embroiled in the discussion on whether the logo rocks or sucks, since it's ultimately a matter of taste. Some are going to like it; others aren't. At the end of the day, I don't think that the experience students have at 1280 will be defined by a graphic on the wall.
Can you clarify exactly why the student representatives didn't consult the student body at all before deciding on the logo, or are we once again going to get ignored and written off while the SRA wonders why no one cares about or respects the MSU anymore?

florencem. says thanks to Tailsnake for this post.

.:callen:., adrian, scott000 like this.
Old 07-30-2009 at 09:10 PM   #71
adrian
Elite Member

Liked: 143 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by emtee10 View Post

Lol it's final. Jeez, that was quick. I wish they would've gone with something posted earlier(not by me). Oh well, such is life. Didn't care much what it was, but makes me sad to see such BAD BAD, VERY BAD ideas get put forward and ratified so quickly. Oh well, have fun, hope it works out for you

Was gonna suggest having a logo contest, but too late for that too.
Old 07-30-2009 at 09:14 PM   #72
temara.brown
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 352 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by florencem. View Post
At the very least fix the serif/sans serif font thing. That will actually irritate the hell outta me if you don't.. I know this campus isn't full of many graphics/multimedia people but come on. This logo is really very sad.
TOTALLY agree with the font issue.. That's the kind of thing you learn about in high school.. ohh golly
Old 07-30-2009 at 09:19 PM   #73
adrian
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by temara.brown View Post
TOTALLY agree with the font issue.. That's the kind of thing you learn about in high school.. ohh golly
OMG, what was seen cannot be unseen. Seriously, I'm mad because every time I'll see it, I'll be bugged by the font difference. ARRRGGG
EDIT: in fact, the whole thing just plays with the eyes in a most unfortunate way.

Last edited by adrian : 07-30-2009 at 09:21 PM.
Old 07-30-2009 at 09:25 PM   #74
crucif3x

Liked: 21 Times

The thing is, the SRA and MSU are supposed to listen to the student body, no? And not complain when we have something to say? Why wasn't the logo given to the student body to at least comment on before it was ratified by the MSU? Shouldn't we have some say in it when it was designed to be a "student's restaurant" and not a "what i think the students will like restuarant"?

Furthermore, the logo is yes, something rather small, but if you can't even manage to complete something small to a satisfactory level, how are we going to place our confidence in you for something bigger, like the food? First impressions can make or break a restaurant and a bad logo is definitely not a good start.

You can serve gourmet cuisine in a dumpster and no one will eat it... but you can serve crappy food in a beautiful designed restaurant and at least it will rise to some success *cough* Destiny Tea House *cough* LOL
- Moulton Hall

.:callen:., Chad, florencem. like this.
Old 07-30-2009 at 09:32 PM   #75
adrian
Elite Member

And if it wasn't for the Sil, would we even know about it before it was plastered in the basement of TSH?

jeffgreen says thanks to adrian for this post.