MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
University Logo Discussion temara.brown General Discussion 26 08-05-2009 01:18 PM
1280's New Logo Discussion Gets Heated Chad MacInsiders Announcements 34 08-02-2009 01:21 PM
1280's New Logo Revealed Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 07-30-2009 02:24 PM
Welcome Week 2008 Logo Revealed Chad MacInsiders Announcements 9 05-16-2008 08:17 AM
Welcome Week Logo Contest! Chad MacInsiders Announcements 8 05-14-2008 09:38 AM

1280's New logo

Old 07-31-2009 at 11:31 AM   #151
Ian Finlay

Liked: 28 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyV View Post
Something like:

twelvEighty

yeah but I think the E is still crooked
Old 07-31-2009 at 11:31 AM   #152
adrian
Elite Member

Liked: 143 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyV View Post
Oh, it's not hosted on the MSU site.
AND it refers to macinsiders LOL:
-here's the one about the logo:
"Check it out:
http://www.macinsiders.com/showthread.php?t=2262 3"

THATS IT FOLKS!!!
EDIT: The actual post on there is http://php.orbiscommunicatio ns.com...opic.php?id=29

Last edited by adrian : 07-31-2009 at 11:36 AM.
Old 07-31-2009 at 11:35 AM   #153
Ian Finlay

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullsmash26 View Post
Where's the plan?

You're supposed to have a plan before you allocate money. Otherwise, how do you know how much money to allocate?

True, you didn't vote for your own pay raise. You did move a pay raise for the person who moved your pay raise however. So, the MSU politicians gave each other pay raises. I should have been more careful about splitting hairs.

Again Mr. Finlay, where is your plan?

I did not give a pay raise for someone. I changed the structure how I saw fit before anyone was in a position. It just so happens that a person who was later elected to that position moved the pay adjustment(to put it back on par with CPI with a minor change to the scope of hours worked) I also was not VP Finance when the commissioners and houseleader jobs were changed.

Now you change from "You're supposed to have a plan before you SPEND money" to now Allocate. How do we know how much money it would take? We knew to renovate a bar it would cost roughly $450,000. research was put in. As for the "marketing plan" good question joey, where is it? I don't have anything to do with the MSU now other than being a student. So I couldn't tell you.

Edit: P.s. this is not an attack on those in charge of the MSU.

Last edited by Ian Finlay : 07-31-2009 at 11:39 AM.
Old 07-31-2009 at 11:36 AM   #154
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by florencem. View Post
Put yourself in my shoes. what do you think it looks like when I see elected officials discount my opinion because of the venue I happen to feel like expressing it in. I am new to macinsiders but already I feel it imperitive to be defending it. I don't care about how many people could be reading it. It's my opinion. It should be respected as that regardless of the venue it is given in.

Moreover, it's not like I am on here expecting you guys to read it. Clearly, you're on here on your own accord. It IS student feedback and one of many sources for it.

I also resent the thought of this 'clique' label. Once again, change your shoes and look at yourselves. Right now, I have no less reason to spread the same label to you. However, I would rather not discount opinions because of prejudicial labels.

The problem here is simple - the logo. Fix it. There's your valuable student feedback. Moving on..
Put yourself in our shoes. We collectively have to take into account the opinions and ideas of 20000 students. Ideally, every single student will have an opinion, and every single students opinion will be considered thoughtfully by those elected to represent them. That's pretty challenging, but that's our job. It's an unfortunate side effect and symptom of a true democracy; I can understand how it might seem that your opinion may not be taken into account when there's many others, (in the case of this thread, about 30-40) or in the case of the entire student body, thousands.

I'd also like to use this venue to formally apologize for my behaviour last night, or rather earlier this morning. There's no excuse for the language or demeanor that I used, and I was merely frustrated and tired. For those in the MacInsiders community that have had the opportunity to participate in discussion, I merely hope that you recall that the vast majority of my posts are thought out and articulate, and are more true reflections of myself.

I'd just like to add that while MacInsiders is a place where some students congregate and discuss issues, you must take initiative yourself and contact your representatives if you ever have a problem with something, or an issue you'd like to bring up. Yes, some SRA members frequent these boards, but only because we, as individuals, want to participate. Many (might I say most) other SRA members don't.

It's been said that "we cannot handle 200 emails". I haven't recieved a single email on this topic from my constituents. Not one. I have to say that, yes, I could handle 200 emails. It might take me some time to go through them, but it can be done. It's much easier to contact your representatives this way. It's very easy to complain and complain and complain, but not actually do anything. If you have a problem; any problem, contact your representatives. Show some initiative.

You (or at least Science students) are supposed to be my boss. If my performance is not up to your standards, or if I'm not adequately representing your views, you wouldn't (as a boss) put up your complaints on a public board which I may never look at if this was some other job for a private company. You would contact me personally... likely call me into your office. This is no different. If you don't like something, or you think your representative is doing a poor job, contact them! I check my multiple email accounts multiple times per day. On top of that, I have a BlackBerry, so I'm constantly recieving email in real time. If you send me an email, it's a guarantee that I will read it, and it's a guarantee that I will respond to it. That's how it's supposed to work. If I don't receive any emails, or if I don't otherwise have any contact with you, then how am I supposed to know what you are thinking! We aren't mind readers!So, if you have a problem, contact your representatives. I expect the emails to begin shortly.

Bee.Hanson, finklej like this.
Old 07-31-2009 at 11:39 AM   #155
FireDragoonX
Elite Member

Liked: 142 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian View Post
AND it refers to macinsiders LOL:
-here's the one about the logo:
"Check it out:
http://www.macinsiders.com/showthread.php?t=2262 3"

THATS IT FOLKS!!!
EDIT: The actual post on there is http://php.orbiscommunicatio ns.com...opic.php?id=29
wat
the only posts on the msu forum are from chad promoting macinsiders. lol

adrian says thanks to FireDragoonX for this post.
Old 07-31-2009 at 11:40 AM   #156
fullsmash26
Reporter, Macleans

Liked: 15 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Finlay View Post
I did not give a pay raise for someone. I changed the structure how I saw fit before anyone was in a position. It just so happens that a person who was later elected to that position moved the pay adjustment(to put it back on par with CPI with a minor change to the scope of hours worked) I also was not VP Finance when the commissioners and houseleader jobs were changed.

Now you change from "You're supposed to have a plan before you SPEND money" to now Allocate. How do we know how much money it would take? We knew to renovate a bar it would cost roughly $450,000. research was put in. As for the "marketing plan" good question joey, where is it? I don't have anything to do with the MSU now other than being a student. So I couldn't tell you.
Allocate/Spend - I was playing along with your political word game. You should have a plan before you allocate/spend money.

Would you care to show this plan?
Old 07-31-2009 at 11:42 AM   #157
myoozik

Liked: 42 Times

Quote:
You miss the point, you're supposed to have a plan before you start spending money.

Not, let's spend the money and then find someone to figure out how we should've spent it in the first place.
Exactly. I realize that Quarters was losing money, but the response to an ailing campus bar was something like "Oh no, there's a leak in a basement pipe. Let's break down the house's entire plumbing system to get it fixed."

This ENTIRE project needed a TON of consultation and preparation. The fact that everything was rushed over ONE summer, shows that whoever made the decision was just so excited about building a new bar, that they forgot about the responsibilities and decisions NEEDED to undertake such a huge project.

Just to recap the 1280 Construction:
1. SRA and B.O.D. has to rush a decision (but voted on it) to approve a construction company.
2. B.O.D. rushes to approve a new brand for the campus bar.

It takes years to build and create an image for a new (let alone successful) restaurant. The only reason a campus bar doesn't go out of business like new small businesses in the "real world" is because it is being fed money annually without even a blink of an eye. Reality check please.
Old 07-31-2009 at 11:44 AM   #158
Ian Finlay

Quote:
Allocate/Spend - I was playing along with your political word game. You should have a plan before you allocate/spend money.

Would you care to show this plan?
Why don't you consult people who are in charge?
Old 07-31-2009 at 11:44 AM   #159
deadpool
X-Man

Liked: 394 Times

Joey,

I see your points, but it's a little ridiculous to say that Ian is to blame for this. From my talks with him, he did have a plan. These included a promotions team for Quarters to handle these sort of things, and a timeline that the construction staff is adhering to.

The thing is though, he left office shortly after the RFPs went out, and so, anything further was under the purview of the current BoD, who in my opinion, are micromanaging the treads off everyone's patience.

Ian Finlay says thanks to deadpool for this post.
Old 07-31-2009 at 11:45 AM   #160
adrian
Elite Member

Liked: 143 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireDragoonX View Post
wat
the only posts on the msu forum are from chad promoting macinsiders. lol
lol sorry, didnt read the whole name(sirchadlington). So then whats the use of a forum that 1 persons posting on???
Old 07-31-2009 at 11:49 AM   #161
fullsmash26
Reporter, Macleans

Liked: 15 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadpool View Post
Joey,

I see your points, but it's a little ridiculous to say that Ian is to blame for this. From my talks with him, he did have a plan. These included a promotions team for Quarters to handle these sort of things, and a timeline that the construction staff is adhering to.

The thing is though, he left office shortly after the RFPs went out, and so, anything further was under the purview of the current BoD, who in my opinion, are micromanaging the treads off everyone's patience.
Great, where is this plan? I was not blaming him for the entire fiasco. I pointed out that he should be able to provide the plan. If the plan was not followed, that is completely not Finlay's fault.
Old 07-31-2009 at 11:50 AM   #162
deadpool
X-Man

Someone requested I make 3 final mockups, so here they are.

P.S. - The concept I was given is that "Students in the old days used to come to school in a blazer, shirt and tie, and now in a tshirt. Both crowds are on opposite extremes, and the atmosphere at 1280 should be in the middle: people who are students of today, who like to class it up a bit. Think, blazers over tshirts, casual and trendy."

Hence the middle one with a tie logo and the collegiate typeface.

Last edited by deadpool : 07-31-2009 at 11:58 AM.

Old 07-31-2009 at 11:51 AM   #163
myoozik

Liked: 42 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taunton View Post
If I don't receive any emails, or if I don't otherwise have any contact with you, then how am I supposed to know what you are thinking! We aren't mind readers!
You do your research. Go on MacInsiders. Come talk to students in classes. Seek us out. It's terrible to say, but you know what, students for the most part, are apathetic and dare I say it, leaning on the lazy side. To sit back and wait for e-mails is kind of a cop out. It's just going to be a waiting game between you and your constituents if you wait for e-mails because you very well know that only a handful of students will be willing to write a meaningful e-mail. You could go your entire term shouting "E-mail us!" and you will more than likely receive less than 100 e-mails.

If you notice that nobody is e-mailing, despite reminders by SRA members to e-mail them, then do something different.
Old 07-31-2009 at 11:54 AM   #164
c.thomson

Liked: 4 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferreinm View Post
the logo and name are what attract students to it in the first place.
I hardly think that the logo and name is what attracts students to a bar. Who cares what the logo looks like anyways. I can't even remember what Quarters' logo looks like and I've been there plenty of times. The things that are going to attract students to this bar are the prices of the food, the service, and the over all atmosphere of the restuarant.

Yes it sucks that the logo had to be chosen in such a short amount of time, but I don't think that people are going to boycott the place because the font is sans serif.
Old 07-31-2009 at 11:55 AM   #165
deadpool
X-Man

Quote:
Great, where is this plan? I was not blaming him for the entire fiasco. I pointed out that he should be able to provide the plan. If the plan was not followed, that is completely not Finlay's fault.
I think these are in the minutes of the last SRA meeting of his term, but Ian proposed a working group for Quarters dedicated to the name and logo of the place. It was supposed to be Caterine, McGowan, Ismael Viegas, Matt Wright, and himself.

This group was tossed aside, and the BoD, EB and SRA took matters into their own hands, and used their own policies to govern the branding of Quarters.

Furthermore, at that same meeting, they passed a motion amending the Quarters Operating Policy to include the Promotions Coordinator (responsible for all marketing, in conjunction with the GM, from what I remember of the job description we were given at Finance Committee).

It should be in the minutes that Ian took good steps towards making this process more efficient and compartmentalized so that it would be handled quickly and decisively.