MacInsiders Logo
View Poll Results: What should the new Quarters be called?
Sterling Station 11 4.47%
The Union or Union Station 14 5.69%
1280 122 49.59%
The Scholar 16 6.50%
I'm a rebel and want it to stay named "Quarters" 83 33.74%
Voters: 246. You may not vote on this poll

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
Called for Interview after Accepting Offer Allan Volunteering Opportunities 6 05-18-2010 11:50 AM
Breaking news Re: Bursaries sniderj Financial Aid 4 02-02-2010 09:14 AM
The New Quarters Will Be Called "1280" Chad MacInsiders Announcements 36 07-17-2009 07:20 PM
I Think Quarters Should Be Called... Matt Wright General Discussion 111 06-18-2009 12:08 PM

*Breaking News* Quarters Will Be Called...

Old 06-23-2009 at 08:02 PM   #150
Gandhi89
SRA Commerce
Program: Commerce Hons.
Year: Third

Liked: 6 Times
It doesnt matter who the person is and whether or not I know them, It matters whether or not you or I or anyone who has the inside knowledge of the current situation in the MSU and Quarters specifically make their comments feel welcome or not.

Please do not go on about your group, even though it got people complaining about it, it was not an unbiased poll asking what they thought the name of quarters should be. The intent was ulterior in the sense that you hated 'The Rusty Scholar' and thats what you wanted everyone to agree on. ' WTF is RUSTY SCHOLAR?' is not a group that you should be proud of for taking peoples opinions into consideration for.

Besides, it was made clear many a time that The Rusty Scholar won in a non binding vote.

Your comment about what we should do however, is well noted. Thats not to say that the members of the assembly have not written emails to their faculty society presidents to get people on a mailing list and walked around school starting a conversation on what they think the name of our campus bar should be already...

I appreciate your passion for this, its just that it is important to take other peoples ideas into consideration and that was the only beef I had with the first comment...

Gandhi-bhai would have been a good joke for anyone who is from the indian subcontinent in origin to crack cuz it makes sense btw...just saying
  Deleted Post Deleted Post
Old 06-23-2009 at 08:24 PM   #151
Nino
Insider Agent (IA)
Program: Business
Year: Other
Residence: Brandon Hall

Liked: 91 Times
I have a "project" I'm gonna work on with regards to the whole Quarters thing. I would've started on it earlier but I have been writing deferred exams since Monday. I really do hope it works out! I'll post details soon...
Old 06-23-2009 at 08:39 PM   #152
Matt Wright
Program: Chemical Engineering
Year: Fifth
Residence: The Great City of Hamilton

Liked: 54 Times
Let's all put our differences aside and come up with valid suggestions, shall we? The reason why Fahrenheit does not fit the plan for Quarters is because of a few reasons: A) here in canada we use "celsius" B) that name has ZERO correlations with McMaster C) it sounds like a club D) we are moving towards a more relaxed, study environment.

While everyone's comments are well-noted, it is important to respect the views of the Board of Directors who are working with designers towards a Mac-inspired vintage themed establishment. By throwing out a name like, I dunno, "Stratogon" or something completely irrelevant, it only provides for good entertainment with no fulfilling value. The name presents encapsulate all the Mac themes the bar is trying to become.

By staying on topic in this thread, much more can be achieved than by pointing out the quotations of SRA members, or questioning the commitment of any others.

If there are any engineers on MacInsiders who have RELEVANT suggestions, please step forward so that I can bring them before the SRA for consideration.

BlakeM, Ian Finlay all say thanks to Matt Wright for this post.
Old 06-23-2009 at 09:21 PM   #153
AndrewC
Program: Commerce

Liked: 0 Times
Quick Correction Danielle...

The reason we are only using the MSU Poll is because the working group has come up with a list of suggestions. We have indicated that we do not consider keeping the name Quarters and the Macinsiders poll was created prior to an official list being publicized. In addition to that, many can vote on Macinsiders without seeing the rationale behind the names (found here). We would like for people to be fully informed before they vote.

In addition, we do not have the forum up on the website yet so even though I will not participate in the discussion, I am still monitoring student opinion through these means.

Thank you to the Macinsiders team and everyone who is participating. The more input and participation we get the more progress we make.
McMaster University

lorend says thanks to AndrewC for this post.
Old 06-23-2009 at 09:44 PM   #154
Infinity
Elite Member
Program: Science
Year: Second

Liked: 93 Times
They should really take a look at this... people make some good points. Again I have to say all the names proposed are absolutely terrible. I don't think people will get used to the name. If the name sucks... people already at mac will always call Quarters. Only people coming in will call it by its new name.
Old 06-23-2009 at 10:02 PM   #155
Alex McColl
Year: Alumni
Residence: Hedden/Whidden CA/Les Prince IRC God Father/Keyes

Liked: 11 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Wright View Post
C) it sounds like a club D) we are moving towards a more relaxed, study environment.
Wait, so last year the MSU spent thousands of dollars on a Quarter's sound system with DJ equipment and now you're saying it's going to be a relaxed study environment!?

This is what I mean by asking for more details into the plans. This seems like an obvious HUGE red flag:

Over $10,000s worth of Sound Equipment + liquor license + beer on tap = relaxed study area?

Isn't the new Quarters' still going to be a club on Thursdays and Saturdays? Isn't it going to be a tailgate party central for Students and Alumni before and after the football games?

If you try to do everything, you may find that you end up doing nothing well.
Old 06-23-2009 at 11:06 PM   #156
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff
Program: BA (Hons) CSCT and Anthropology, BA (Hons) English & Indigenous Studies
Residence: Whidden

Liked: 507 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadpool View Post
I am tired of the "we tried but to no avail" defense that is so common. I tried, and now people all over the place are actually commenting on the issue. My act of civil disobedience actually got SOMETHING done.

Why is it that the SRA seems more intent on defending one another than actually doing something constructive.

Here, use this idea and take credit for it. Just get it done:
  1. Send an email to the SRA home account, and spearhead a campaign where all the SRA members talk to 40-50 of their CONSTITUENTS.
  2. Ask these constituents the exact same thing that the poll asks on the MSU front page. Then write down the name, student number and email address of each respondent to affirm the legitimacy of their statement.
  3. At Bark Lake, everyone bring their list of respondents, and their poll choices to the meeting. If you guys have all done your jobs, there should be close to 800 opinions. This is close to 5% of the student population polled, and even better considering that the incoming first-year class doesn't know Quarters and won't have that helpful of an opinion.
  4. Then do an actual vote on the issue with each member of the assembly making clear that they got the 40-50 respondents, and the majority opinion was a vote for ________.
  5. In the end, if anyone asks, remember that you guys did something a lot more legitimate than a poll on the MSU site where you can re-vote every second.
THIS is legitimacy and democracy. Not sitting on MacInsiders defending the opinion of one person who CLEARLY knows you, due to the fact that they just called you Gandhi-bhai.

Also, any notion of any MSU bubble is based on everyone who is out for themselves; attempting to run for higher positions within the MSU.
Awesome ideas Rohan. [zomg. we agree? how weird]

To the two SRA members of my faculty that post on here, please start doing this!

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Phoenix says thanks to lorend for this post.
Old 06-23-2009 at 11:20 PM   #157
Nino
Insider Agent (IA)
Residence: Brandon Hall

Liked: 91 Times
It's definitely a great idea and I plan on doing that as soon as I'm done with my deferred exam in the morning.
Old 06-23-2009 at 11:21 PM   #158
Matt Wright

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex McColl View Post
Wait, so last year the MSU spent thousands of dollars on a Quarter's sound system with DJ equipment and now you're saying it's going to be a relaxed study environment!?

This is what I mean by asking for more details into the plans. This seems like an obvious HUGE red flag:

Over $10,000s worth of Sound Equipment + liquor license + beer on tap = relaxed study area?

Isn't the new Quarters' still going to be a club on Thursdays and Saturdays? Isn't it going to be a tailgate party central for Students and Alumni before and after the football games?

If you try to do everything, you may find that you end up doing nothing well.
The study area of the bar will be for studying. The drinking area will be for drinking. On thursdays and saturdays, it will be a club atmosphere like it always was. I like your criticisms McColl, they always come out so intelligently rather than you just asking. This reminds me of the SRA meeting you attended during which you called me out and then left before I could respond. Ahh, the glory of hiding behind an assortment of lackluster comments instead of being constructive.

The new bar will aim to be more a relaxed environment during the day so that students can have a place to grab some food and work on homework. The night aspect will tailor to tailgate parties and the like. It's called "multi-purpose".

emtee10, Ian Finlay, lorend, Nino all say thanks to Matt Wright for this post.
Old 06-24-2009 at 03:53 PM   #159
Ian Finlay

Liked: 28 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi89 View Post
... The Quarters naming question was not even brought up with the SRA before June Training, we were not asked to consult constituents because we were not even certain as to whether or not the name was changing...

Just so you know, last year the SRA was given ample time to consult with their constituents. They didnt. I brought it to an SRA meeting since the half dozen emails trying to get the SRA to talk about this to their constituents didnt work. They then motioned that they didnt want to deal with the name. The new SRA made of a few old SRA members along with many new ones who were present at the meeting which this issue was brought up to and many more who knew that renaming was an issue that would need to be addressed. For you to say that you were blindsided by this, or that the SRA was not given time to consult their constituents is a very bold and misleading statement. Mind you some SRA Members such as Matt Wright have gone out and discussed with people.

lorend says thanks to Ian Finlay for this post.
Old 06-24-2009 at 04:42 PM   #160
jeffgreen
Faculty: Science
Year: McMaster Employee

Liked: 8 Times
This is so constructive!
Old 06-24-2009 at 05:14 PM   #161
micadjems
Awesome Member
Program: Materials Engineering & Society
Residence: Brandon Hall (06-07)

Liked: 382 Times
It's not going to be if people are downright pissed about the name choices and how much money we're throwing at this problem.
Old 06-25-2009 at 10:14 PM   #162
FireDragoonX
Elite Member
Faculty: Business / Commerce
Year: Fourth

Liked: 142 Times
maybe they were blindsided by the reason for the name change.

What was the result of the poll on the MSU website from March? I'm sure "quarters' was one of the options.
how many people filled it out, what name got the most votes?
Old 06-25-2009 at 11:39 PM   #163
meerf

Liked: 7 Times
i dont even remember anything being publicized about quarters' name being changed....
Old 06-26-2009 at 12:21 AM   #164
Matt Wright

@Jackie Howe.. if you are pissed, please PM me, there is no reason to continue to make outrageous statements on MacInsiders about Quarters. if you would like more facts, I would be happy to provide them.

The poll from march showed an overwhelming turnout of votes keeping the name as quarters. the reason this poll was disregarded was because the other names on the list came out of a very terrible group of names that was suggested by (mostly) a group of individuals that shouldn't have been consulted. This is not to say that their input was not useful, just that the some of the suggestions included in the poll were from very, very biased sources.

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search