MacInsiders Logo
View Poll Results: What should the new Quarters be called?
Sterling Station 11 4.47%
The Union or Union Station 14 5.69%
1280 122 49.59%
The Scholar 16 6.50%
I'm a rebel and want it to stay named "Quarters" 83 33.74%
Voters: 246. You may not vote on this poll

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
Called for Interview after Accepting Offer Allan Volunteering Opportunities 6 05-18-2010 11:50 AM
Breaking news Re: Bursaries sniderj Financial Aid 4 02-02-2010 09:14 AM
The New Quarters Will Be Called "1280" Chad MacInsiders Announcements 36 07-17-2009 07:20 PM
I Think Quarters Should Be Called... Matt Wright General Discussion 111 06-18-2009 12:08 PM

*Breaking News* Quarters Will Be Called...

Old 06-23-2009 at 04:19 PM   #135
Gandhi89
SRA Commerce
Program: Commerce Hons.
Year: Third

Liked: 6 Times
I think Alex is right and the students should not get distorted information. If the Downstairs John is one of the options then everyone here must consider it while voting for what they feel should be our restolounge/bars new name.

@ fahad - Faranheit rocks but we have just a certain number of names we can choose from right now...Everyone has amazing ideas but that initial brainstorming period is over and now were set out to make the final decision. I think that regardless of what its called (everything except the rusty scholar :p) people will be going to quarters because it will be so badass as opposed to because we named it something catchy. Quarters was catchy. That sort of failed.
  Deleted Post Deleted Post
Old 06-23-2009 at 04:46 PM   #136
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff
Program: BA (Hons) CSCT and Anthropology, BA (Hons) English & Indigenous Studies
Year: Alumni
Residence: Whidden

Liked: 507 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi89 View Post
I think Alex is right and the students should not get distorted information. If the Downstairs John is one of the options then everyone here must consider it while voting for what they feel should be our restolounge/bars new name.

@ fahad - Faranheit rocks but we have just a certain number of names we can choose from right now...Everyone has amazing ideas but that initial brainstorming period is over and now were set out to make the final decision. I think that regardless of what its called (everything except the rusty scholar :p) people will be going to quarters because it will be so badass as opposed to because we named it something catchy. Quarters was catchy. That sort of failed.
Thing is, anything posted or commented on MacInsiders isn't going to be considered as official information, as per what VP Finance Caterine posted earlier.

And I don't have the ability to set up an entirely new poll and post it on the site. Chad needs to do that, unfortunately.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 06-23-2009 at 04:47 PM   #137
meerf
Program: Commerce

Liked: 7 Times
gandhi bhai,

1280 isnt going to do it. talk to your people. everyone i talked to hates "1280". it sounds like some drug pit
Old 06-23-2009 at 04:49 PM   #138
meerf
Program: Commerce

Liked: 7 Times
if we start a new poll, i guarantee you Farenheit will get more hits than 1280
Old 06-23-2009 at 04:57 PM   #139
Gandhi89
SRA Commerce

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorend View Post
Thing is, anything posted or commented on MacInsiders isn't going to be considered as official information, as per what VP Finance Caterine posted earlier.

And I don't have the ability to set up an entirely new poll and post it on the site. Chad needs to do that, unfortunately.

yea i understand, i just wanted to make sure that people keep that in mind while deciding. a lot of people make choices based on information they get on macinsiders and they go to the msu website and vote, they have their minds made up...

also, one thing i wanted to point out and question is the statistic relevance of the poll that were having on the msu website...i am more than glad that we have information about the various names and how they came to being...but the thing is, if i was dedicated enough to call it 1280 i would sit at my computer for a good 10 minutes just clicking on 1280 over and over again...does anybody know what we are doing to address that issue?

also...danielle! are you going to wonderland?
Old 06-23-2009 at 05:02 PM   #140
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff
Program: BA (Hons) CSCT and Anthropology, BA (Hons) English & Indigenous Studies
Residence: Whidden

Liked: 507 Times
Quote:
yea i understand, i just wanted to make sure that people keep that in mind while deciding. a lot of people make choices based on information they get on macinsiders and they go to the msu website and vote, they have their minds made up...

also, one thing i wanted to point out and question is the statistic relevance of the poll that were having on the msu website...i am more than glad that we have information about the various names and how they came to being...but the thing is, if i was dedicated enough to call it 1280 i would sit at my computer for a good 10 minutes just clicking on 1280 over and over again...does anybody know what we are doing to address that issue?

also...danielle! are you going to wonderland?
Haha. I suppose you'll need to wait for Caterine to respond to your question on the MSU poll...Chad and myself aren't involved, haha.

Yup, I am chilling with our all-powerful leader on Friday and she's making the trip with me from Caledon to Wonderland. I will see you then, I assume?

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 06-23-2009 at 05:49 PM   #141
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013
MSU Staff
Program: PoliSci & Sociology with Econ Minor
Residence: SOCS!

Liked: 361 Times
Quote:
but the thing is, if i was dedicated enough to call it 1280 i would sit at my computer for a good 10 minutes just clicking on 1280 over and over again...does anybody know what we are doing to address that issue?
Well I think I did raise that point earlier and it was discussed in detail but no one from the SRA really picked up on it. Forget a 1280 groupie selecting it over and over, all it takes is an simple coded programming script(Which even I could code 5 years ago) to put in as many responses as possible automatically. It could have been avoided by adding a Captcha or some sort of login(Like logging into your MSU Job portal), but what I was told was that it is "more of a rough idea" of student opinion then a valid quantifyable poll(We also assumed and established that no one would care enough about this issue to go through the coding etc). Which I think they will get anyways given that 1280 is way at the front on the Insiders poll so is bound to be upfront at the MSU poll as well. Let's see what they actually end up deciding though :S

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Last edited by huzaifa47 : 06-23-2009 at 06:13 PM.
Old 06-23-2009 at 06:07 PM   #142
deadpool
X-Man
Program: Fighting
Year: Other

Liked: 394 Times
Fahrenheit sounds like one of those gimmicky clubs belonging on Hess with greasy haired guys with open shirts showing off their chest hair.

McMaster is a first-rate institution, and the students who go here are not sketchy ginos who spend all their time at Hess trying to pick up girls by calling them baby and trying to ply them with Grey Goose.

I am all for the ideas being thrown out, but can we stop criticizing the ideas the people on the Quarters working group have come up with by putting out even stupider names which give no thought to the theme of the place?
Old 06-23-2009 at 06:38 PM   #143
Gandhi89
SRA Commerce

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadpool View Post
Fahrenheit sounds like one of those gimmicky clubs belonging on Hess with greasy haired guys with open shirts showing off their chest hair.

McMaster is a first-rate institution, and the students who go here are not sketchy ginos who spend all their time at Hess trying to pick up girls by calling them baby and trying to ply them with Grey Goose.

I am all for the ideas being thrown out, but can we stop criticizing the ideas the people on the Quarters working group have come up with by putting out even stupider names which give no thought to the theme of the place?

this is a stupid post because i like how rohan decides what is a stupid name and what is not. let students talk...were all for taking in advice.
Old 06-23-2009 at 06:57 PM   #144
deadpool
X-Man

Quote:
this is a stupid post because i like how rohan decides what is a stupid name and what is not. let students talk...were all for taking in advice.
I am not an SRA member engaging in some sort of patronizing political double speak, I am calling it like I see it.

If you remember, I was the one who started the petition to allow students the opportunity to voice their displeasure of the Rusty Scholar name.

As far as advice goes, maybe if the other 2/3rds of the SRA had done their jobs and asked people what they thought about names, there might have had legitimate things brought up at Assembly for the straw vote and I wouldn't bit sitting here making sardonic comments like it's my job, feeling sorry for the 1/3rd who actually did do anything as far as Quarters goes.

But I digress, it is like new Facebook after all; everyone will get used to the name.
Old 06-23-2009 at 07:07 PM   #145
micadjems
Awesome Member
Program: Materials Engineering & Society
Residence: Brandon Hall (06-07)

Liked: 382 Times
Quote:
it is like new Facebook after all; everyone will get used to the name.

We didn't pay $400,000 for the new facebook...
Old 06-23-2009 at 07:10 PM   #146
deadpool
X-Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by micadjems View Post
We didn't pay $400,000 for the new facebook...
lol, it was a quote that was made during the last SRA meeting by a certain member of the assembly. i'm being a facetious douchebag.

lorend says thanks to deadpool for this post.
Old 06-23-2009 at 07:20 PM   #147
Gandhi89
SRA Commerce

Quote:
I am not an SRA member engaging in some sort of patronizing political double speak, I am calling it like I see it.

If you remember, I was the one who started the petition to allow students the opportunity to voice their displeasure of the Rusty Scholar name.

As far as advice goes, maybe if the other 2/3rds of the SRA had done their jobs and asked people what they thought about names, there might have had legitimate things brought up at Assembly for the straw vote and I wouldn't bit sitting here making sardonic comments like it's my job, feeling sorry for the 1/3rd who actually did do anything as far as Quarters goes.

But I digress, it is like new Facebook after all; everyone will get used to the name.

Okay it is comments like the one you threw out at meerf demeaning his suggestion that create the notion of an MSU bubble that people dont feel part of. It doesn't matter if you are part of the SRA or not, you have been heavily involved with Quarters and you cant deny that.

If you can have your say at a name and I can get emails from people involved with the MSU giving the Board of Directors suggestions about what the name should be, meerf and every other full time undergraduate student at McMaster University should be able to express his views without getting his ideas shot down.

The Quarters naming question was not even brought up with the SRA before June Training, we were not asked to consult constituents because we were not even certain as to whether or not the name was changing. Mind you, a high percentage of the SRA this year is new and I can attest to the fact that they are a highly involved group of individuals who take representing their constituents seriously. I know for a fact that myself and a number of the SRA have gone about consulting students who are currently doing summer school. I know of SRA members who have started groups and discussions about what the name should be. This is all after we realized that the name was changing during June training. Before then, we did not even know whether or not there would be renovations to Quarters or not because we had not approved anything. So do not point fingers at the SRA without considering how hard they are actually working and what the conditions are on the basis of which they make decisions.

I know for a fact that as a new incoming SRA member and somewhat of an MSU keener I tried to talk to people about consulting constituents about what they want to see in terms of renovations but the idea was shot down time and again by people who think they know everything there is to know about Quarters because they are friends with the manager...

The comment about it being like facebook will be up in the minutes for everyone to see...im glad you think youve achieved something in this discussion by calling me out on what i said at an SRA meeting.
Old 06-23-2009 at 07:38 PM   #148
deadpool
X-Man

I am tired of the "we tried but to no avail" defense that is so common. I tried, and now people all over the place are actually commenting on the issue. My act of civil disobedience actually got SOMETHING done.

Why is it that the SRA seems more intent on defending one another than actually doing something constructive.

Here, use this idea and take credit for it. Just get it done:
  1. Send an email to the SRA home account, and spearhead a campaign where all the SRA members talk to 40-50 of their CONSTITUENTS.
  2. Ask these constituents the exact same thing that the poll asks on the MSU front page. Then write down the name, student number and email address of each respondent to affirm the legitimacy of their statement.
  3. At Bark Lake, everyone bring their list of respondents, and their poll choices to the meeting. If you guys have all done your jobs, there should be close to 800 opinions. This is close to 5% of the student population polled, and even better considering that the incoming first-year class doesn't know Quarters and won't have that helpful of an opinion.
  4. Then do an actual vote on the issue with each member of the assembly making clear that they got the 40-50 respondents, and the majority opinion was a vote for ________.
  5. In the end, if anyone asks, remember that you guys did something a lot more legitimate than a poll on the MSU site where you can re-vote every second.
THIS is legitimacy and democracy. Not sitting on MacInsiders defending the opinion of one person who CLEARLY knows you, due to the fact that they just called you Gandhi-bhai.

Also, any notion of any MSU bubble is based on everyone who is out for themselves; attempting to run for higher positions within the MSU.

emtee10, Ian Finlay all say thanks to deadpool for this post.
Old 06-23-2009 at 07:45 PM   #149
deadpool
X-Man

Also, my opinion is equally weighted to that of meerf's. With you coming in and defending him, that equal weight is gone, and you have interfered in what could have been his defense of an idea that he believes in, possibly making me rethink my stance, and leading to an apology from my part.

What you instead did was act self-righteous, as if you are a defender of the people, and reminded me of why I dislike the institution that is the SRA who feel as if students are lesser than them and need defense.

It doesn't matter how much I know, but if he can actually defend his idea, then it is one worth hearing. You don't see my friends coming here and staunchly defending any of the shitty ideas I had, especially since so many people are explicitly going against choices that I had a hand in suggesting.

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search