MacInsiders Logo
View Poll Results: What should the new Quarters be called?
Sterling Station 11 4.47%
The Union or Union Station 14 5.69%
1280 122 49.59%
The Scholar 16 6.50%
I'm a rebel and want it to stay named "Quarters" 83 33.74%
Voters: 246. You may not vote on this poll

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
Called for Interview after Accepting Offer Allan Volunteering Opportunities 6 05-18-2010 11:50 AM
Breaking news Re: Bursaries sniderj Financial Aid 4 02-02-2010 09:14 AM
The New Quarters Will Be Called "1280" Chad MacInsiders Announcements 36 07-17-2009 07:20 PM
I Think Quarters Should Be Called... Matt Wright General Discussion 111 06-18-2009 12:08 PM

*Breaking News* Quarters Will Be Called...

Old 06-18-2009 at 10:49 PM   #90
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013
MSU Staff
Program: PoliSci & Sociology with Econ Minor
Year: Alumni
Residence: SOCS!

Liked: 361 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by feonateresa View Post
I didn't know you could see Toronto from up there o.O
Is there a way, other than that, to get to the mountain on the other side (closer to Mac)? Or do you have to take a bus all the way there from Downtown?

Oh yeah, speaking of waterfalls - where are they? All in East Hamilton?
Does anyone remember what the name of that TLC song? I know it had waterfalls in it... ._.
You can see For miles and miles, like the whole curve of the lake towards Toronto(And most of the skyscrapers, even faint outlines of Toronto Island you can also literally point out burlington,oakville, Sauga etc) as well as the entire expanse of Hamilton. And I wouldn't know of any other way, I only came across the one I mention while going to limeridge(The bus climbs the Access way past the Park). As for the Falls, I've never been to one but they are in the east as well as the west(towards Dundas), I think the most famous ones Webster are towards Dundas.

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Deleted Post Deleted Post
Old 06-18-2009 at 10:52 PM   #91
Nino
Insider Agent (IA)
Program: Business
Year: Other
Residence: Brandon Hall

Liked: 91 Times
lol let's try to keep this thread on topic. We are drifting away off topic quite a bit...
Old 06-18-2009 at 10:55 PM   #92
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013
MSU Staff
Program: PoliSci & Sociology with Econ Minor

Liked: 361 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nino View Post
Huzaifa, statistics from the poll on the MSU website will be used to get the general idea of what name most students prefer. Furthermore, from what I've been told, a good number of students left comments too which will also be useful. The statistics from the poll on MacInsiders will definitely be considered as well!
Yeah, I understand that this isn't an official poll, but rather more of a casual outlook onto what students want; but its still a possiblity.
But I would still suggest you guys reconsider(I know you do, but I'm not sure if the higher ups share the same opinion) and take Insiders as a credible source as well(In comparision to saying that JUST the MSU website is the only source), infact just about any thing no matter what form it is, should be considered a "source" by the SRA members, even a drunk guy rambling to his friends in the TSH Washroom on a Thursday night or overhearing two girls complain about student fees before lecture and how the MSU does nothing etc should be considered one and their opinion respected!

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Last edited by huzaifa47 : 06-18-2009 at 11:01 PM.
Old 06-18-2009 at 11:03 PM   #93
Mowicz
Elite Member
Program: Mathematics & Statistics

Liked: 529 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by huzaifa47 View Post
5 Minutes? Where close to Mac can you see the downtown AND the lake from a height?
Therein lies the illusion.

I never said close to Mac...I said I can walk 5 minutes. Because I live on said Escarpment...because we were talking about how Hamilton stinks. You've got to follow the entire conversation, not just jump on the final post in a sequence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nino View Post
lol let's try to keep this thread on topic. We are drifting away off topic quite a bit...
Troooooooll.

CAPTCHA's and security for the poll are definitely on-topic. Do you want the naming to be rigged?

Besides, I tried staying on the specific topic of naming earlier, and was criticized. lol
Old 06-18-2009 at 11:05 PM   #94
Nino
Insider Agent (IA)
Program: Business
Year: Other
Residence: Brandon Hall

Liked: 91 Times
No no, we're definitely not saying MacInsiders isn't a source. MacInsiders is definitely a credible source and we're glad that a poll was set up here! What I was trying to say is that we're trying to get students to use the MSU website as the main source of information. As I mentioned, MacInsiders is definitely a great source and we value every opinion and feedback we get here. We just want students to rely more on the MSU website if you know what I mean.

Mowicz, my last post was directed at the other posts that weren't very relevant to the original topic of the thread. Although the Captcha is a good idea, I highly doubt it would be implemented. The website is being updated by the Board of Directors right now so they may not know too much about setting up a Captcha.

Last edited by nino : 06-18-2009 at 11:13 PM.
Old 06-19-2009 at 10:56 PM   #95
DavidR
Program: Software Engineering
Residence: Woodstock ('04-'05)

Liked: 87 Times
I know I'm an alumnus and my opinion doesn't really matter... but I've gotta say that I'm extremely disappointed with what the SRA's come up with. I really hope the Engineering SRA caucus I voted for steps up to the plate on this one... but Matt Wright already seems to be playing along and supporting these so I'm not so sure. If they're putting as much thought into the renovations as they did with these names there's no hope for "Union Station".

Union Station? Seriously? How did that even make the short list? On that note, please consider these as well:

First Canadian Place
Scotia Plaza
CN Tower
Brookfield Place
Rogers Centre

Sigh.. Find someone with experience in bars / marketing... cause whatever you're doing is not working. I understand you want to remove the stigma of Quarter's... but even considering naming it after a grimy train station isn't exactly making me hungry.

Sidenote: You'll notice a lot of people are "settling" for 1280 because it's the best of what's provided. That's also not a good thing. You should really have an option where people are like "WOW! That's it!!"... not "It's better than the rest... I guess". Get people EXCITED about the new bar. Get people EXCITED about the name. Generate that social buzz that it's going to need to succeed. If people really liked the options they'd already be cutting off their jean skirts and buying skimpy tops for the first club night.

Last edited by DavidR : 06-19-2009 at 10:59 PM.
Old 06-19-2009 at 10:56 PM   #96
maclover
Program: Electrical & Computer Engineering
Year: Third

Liked: 55 Times
Wow all the names suggested are so lame... how about another lame name: the Macropolis???
Old 06-19-2009 at 11:23 PM   #97
myoozik
Program: Science
Year: Third

Liked: 42 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidR View Post
If people really liked the options they'd already be cutting off their jean skirts and buying skimpy tops for the first club night.
ahahaha

DavidR has a point though. I know that there was an original poll towards the end of the past school year, but most people were actually unsure as to how those names/options came about. They should've created some sort of online competition. I'm sure we don't have a shortage of creativity at MAC and this could've been done a better way.

Perhaps the planning team thinks the new bar's name is trivial since most students are only here for four years and isn't detrimental to the entire operation?
Old 06-20-2009 at 11:56 AM   #98
Duarch
Program: BioPsych
Year: Fourth

Liked: 19 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maclover View Post
Wow all the names suggested are so lame... how about another lame name: the Macropolis???
There should be a comic book with some hero from.... MACROPOLISSSSSS. His/her super powers can be the ability to financially drain various evil supervillans.
Old 06-20-2009 at 12:49 PM   #99
Matt Wright
Program: Chemical Engineering
Year: Fifth
Residence: The Great City of Hamilton

Liked: 54 Times
If you would like to check the SRA minutes posted on the MSU website, you will find that I was strictly opposed to these renovations. On numerous occasions I voiced my concern that there was not enough planning or consideration taken before construction began. Referring to the inital allocation of 45000 from the SRA or the final amount of 375000, I again opposed these both.

It is in my own personal opinion that the bar will be finished on time, and will have changed significantly for the better, but this is an ongoing issue that is all but out of my hands. Because I am only 1 vote in the Student Representative Assembly, my vote is often moot when opposed by 34 others.

The naming committee that was initially started in March never included me, nor did they make the poll of the MSU website accessible to myself. This was another giant flaw that was out of my control. In order to be transparent within the MSU, there needs to be a distinct line drawn between student services, and services that students use and generate a profit. This downfall inevitably lead to the predicament that we are now faced with: a bar with no name, and not enough valid suggestions to make it appealing to all students.

Had this entire project been placed in my hands, I would've closed the bar for this school year, laid off all students employed at Quarters, worked out a solid marketing plan for its re-opening, and offered students the chance to have more a voice for their campus bar. Although this seems far-fetched and otherwise impossible, it would've done 3 things: created a campus bar that was the culmination of student voice and input, avoided another 400k loss fiscal year, and last but not least given the MSU a chance to rebuild a broken service.

Nino says thanks to Matt Wright for this post.
Old 06-20-2009 at 02:27 PM   #100
DavidR
Program: Software Engineering
Residence: Woodstock ('04-'05)

Liked: 87 Times
I appreciate that you may have opposed it at the beginning, but from your posts around here, at least, it seems as though you've fallen in line with the rest. I guess that's a result of peer pressure from the the SRA. I apologize for pointing you out directly, it's just you're the most active Engineering SRA on Macinsiders - so you came to mind.

You mention that you are just 1 vote... which is true, but don't ever say that that vote doesn't matter. Why did I choose to elect you if you were just going to say "I'm only 1 out of 34". The SRA doesn't always have to be this unanimous body supporting a project. I'd rather see you here speaking against the whole thing - telling people how they can reject ALL of the names, how to rise up and act against the MSU than saying "Let's just say it's called 1280...". To me - that's just a sign of weakness. You're letting the numbers get to you and feeling like you have to go along with it. You state you opposed it from the start - but it sure doesn't look like that to me now.

Again, I don't mean to attack you personally, Matt; you're just the one that's active here. I'm sure there are many other SRA members in the same boat as you - feeling powerless against the big bad MSU. It's the kind of uncertain support of things like this that have brought the MSU down to the level it's at today. People who are willing to speak out... consistently... against (and for) things are needed.

If (some of) the SRA doesn't believe in it, and (most of) the student body doesn't believe in it - how is it ever going to succeed?

My 2cents.
Old 06-20-2009 at 02:47 PM   #101
blairwoods
Year: First

Liked: 0 Times
1280 pleasee
Old 06-20-2009 at 02:58 PM   #102
Infinity
Elite Member
Program: Science
Year: Second

Liked: 93 Times
wow these names are terrible..... 1280 is decent... but really these names are sooooo lame.

Like why can't it be something awesome like Puzzles?
Old 06-20-2009 at 06:10 PM   #103
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff
Program: BA (Hons) CSCT and Anthropology, BA (Hons) English & Indigenous Studies
Residence: Whidden

Liked: 507 Times
The Union I could deal with (same with 1280).

However, when people would ask the Compass CSRs where Union Station is, there is going to be confusion.

People come at night and ask the CSRs a lot of questions (like how to get to Union in Toronto, how to get to Quarters, what's the fastest way to the Buffalo airport, where CFMU is, how do I take out a bank loan etc), and having a bar with the same name would get confusing and irritating for the staff.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Last edited by lorend : 06-20-2009 at 06:13 PM.
Old 06-20-2009 at 06:32 PM   #104
Matt Wright
Program: Chemical Engineering
Year: Fifth
Residence: The Great City of Hamilton

Liked: 54 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidR View Post

You mention that you are just 1 vote... which is true, but don't ever say that that vote doesn't matter. Why did I choose to elect you if you were just going to say "I'm only 1 out of 34". The SRA doesn't always have to be this unanimous body supporting a project. I'd rather see you here speaking against the whole thing - telling people how they can reject ALL of the names, how to rise up and act against the MSU than saying "Let's just say it's called 1280...". To me - that's just a sign of weakness. You're letting the numbers get to you and feeling like you have to go along with it. You state you opposed it from the start - but it sure doesn't look like that to me now.

Again, I don't mean to attack you personally, Matt; you're just the one that's active here. I'm sure there are many other SRA members in the same boat as you - feeling powerless against the big bad MSU. It's the kind of uncertain support of things like this that have brought the MSU down to the level it's at today. People who are willing to speak out... consistently... against (and for) things are needed.

If (some of) the SRA doesn't believe in it, and (most of) the student body doesn't believe in it - how is it ever going to succeed?

My 2cents.
“Great minds have purposes; little minds have wishes. Little minds are subdued by misfortunes; great minds rise above them.” - Washington Irving

The Quarters project is a monstrous obstacle in the way of the MSU. I am not here to please the SRA, the MSU, or any other subsidiary. I am here to represent the faculty of engineering. My purpose on the SRA is to ensure that students are represented. I do not have wishes for the MSU, I have plans for it. With the support of engineering, these plans will be achieved and the MSU will be used to its fullest potential.

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search