MacInsiders Logo
View Poll Results: What should the new Quarters be called?
Sterling Station 11 4.47%
The Union or Union Station 14 5.69%
1280 122 49.59%
The Scholar 16 6.50%
I'm a rebel and want it to stay named "Quarters" 83 33.74%
Voters: 246. You may not vote on this poll

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
Called for Interview after Accepting Offer Allan Volunteering Opportunities 6 05-18-2010 11:50 AM
Breaking news Re: Bursaries sniderj Financial Aid 4 02-02-2010 09:14 AM
The New Quarters Will Be Called "1280" Chad MacInsiders Announcements 36 07-17-2009 07:20 PM
I Think Quarters Should Be Called... Matt Wright General Discussion 111 06-18-2009 12:08 PM

*Breaking News* Quarters Will Be Called...

Old 06-18-2009 at 05:35 PM   #45
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff
Program: BA (Hons) CSCT and Anthropology, BA (Hons) English & Indigenous Studies
Year: Alumni
Residence: Whidden

Liked: 507 Times
Mass email to all MSU members would!! But that would have to go through the Registrar's Office...

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Deleted Post Deleted Post
Old 06-18-2009 at 05:40 PM   #46
sew12
Elite Member
Program: Multimedia
Year: Fourth
Residence: SOCS

Liked: 473 Times
A mass e-mail with a survey would be a better idea but that would take some time to set up I guess.

Most students probably don't even know they're changing the name, and even less likely know about the poll.

It's already been stated that the name WILL be changed and they want it done before September. They obviously aren't all that concerned that making this change over the Summer and not informing students about it means a large majority of students won't be involved in the decision. They have their own agenda and whether or not the students agree with it isn't a top priority.

A poll on the MSU website that no one knows about isn't a very accurate picture of what students think of the name change/options.
Old 06-18-2009 at 06:07 PM   #47
Nino
Insider Agent (IA)
Program: Business
Year: Other
Residence: Brandon Hall

Liked: 91 Times
I created a Facebook group with information about the poll. It's the best thing I can do at this time since a large number of students are currently unavailable at the university. Hopefully this Facebook group will inform students about the name change and the poll on the MSU website. It's not much but it's the best I can do at this time. Here's the link to the Facebook group: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=9364448 1009

Please join it and invite your friends or tell them to vote! Thanks =)

Last edited by nino : 06-18-2009 at 06:32 PM.

moops says thanks to Nino for this post.
Old 06-18-2009 at 06:42 PM   #48
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff
Program: Honours Molecular Biology and Genetics
Residence: Edwards 08-09, SOCS 09-12

Liked: 604 Times
Yeah, mass inviting time...

umm.. What is this supposed to mean? "The following people won't get your invitation right away, but they will soon."

Last edited by jhan523 : 06-18-2009 at 06:44 PM.

Nino says thanks to jhan523 for this post.
Old 06-18-2009 at 06:48 PM   #49
Nino
Insider Agent (IA)
Program: Business
Residence: Brandon Hall

Liked: 91 Times
Not too sure actually but when I tried mass inviting every Mac student on my friend list earlier, it didn't work. Instead, I invited 20 friends at a time and it worked. It might just be a problem from my side though.
Old 06-18-2009 at 07:25 PM   #50
Mowicz
Elite Member
Program: Mathematics & Statistics

Liked: 529 Times
When will everyone learn, and finally name the place Cheers?
Old 06-18-2009 at 07:40 PM   #51
AndrewC
Program: Commerce
Year: Third

Liked: 0 Times
Thank you all for your interest. There has been extensive discussion and debate regarding this matter between many interested parties and we appreciate all you input as well.

As mentioned previously, there will be an active forum on the MSU website so that discussion may take place. We have valued all input and want to make sure that we foster as much communication as possible.

We value Macinsiders and all the work it has done as an MSU club. This is the reason we sent the demolition picture link to Macinsiders as soon as the pictures appeared on our website. However we wish to make sure this consultation process is done using official MSU resources.

Thank you and feel free to email the Board of Directors or your SRA elected officials with any questions of concerns you may have.
McMaster University
Old 06-18-2009 at 07:47 PM   #52
J-Met
Elite Member
Program: Social Sciences
Year: Prospective Student

Liked: 136 Times
I dont like 1280...how are you even supposed to say it? One thousand two hundred and eighty? twelve eighty? one two eight zero?

Alot of people, including me up until I read this thread, do not know the significance of the number. Seems kinda dumb to name a bar after what most people will just see as an arbitrary number...
Old 06-18-2009 at 07:50 PM   #53
sew12
Elite Member
Program: Multimedia
Residence: SOCS

Liked: 473 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Met View Post
I dont like 1280...how are you even supposed to say it? One thousand two hundred and eighty? twelve eighty? one two eight zero?

Alot of people, including me up until I read this thread, do not know the significance of the number. Seems kinda dumb to name a bar after what most people will just see as an arbitrary number...
Twelve Eighty.

Also how do people not know McMaster's address?
Old 06-18-2009 at 07:51 PM   #54
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff
Program: BA (Hons) CSCT and Anthropology, BA (Hons) English & Indigenous Studies
Residence: Whidden

Liked: 507 Times
I agree.

Did people not send you mail when you were in res? And/or have you not included McMaster on any forms or documents?

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 06-18-2009 at 08:14 PM   #55
feonateresa
Elite Member
Program: Cognitive Science of Language

Liked: 196 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Met View Post

Well, there are lots of establishments that have a number as their name. 1280 just flows nicely I think, and it's an added perk that it is Mac's address.
Old 06-18-2009 at 08:39 PM   #56
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff
Program: Honours Molecular Biology and Genetics
Residence: Edwards 08-09, SOCS 09-12

Liked: 604 Times
Yeah, if you go to McMaster you should definitively know the address... 1280 is a good name, especially compared to the other options.
Old 06-18-2009 at 09:03 PM   #57
Mowicz
Elite Member
Program: Mathematics & Statistics

Liked: 529 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorend View Post
Did people not send you mail when you were in res? And/or have you not included McMaster on any forms or documents?
What about we who have never been in rez and whose only forms requiring Mac's address have gone to Mac?

I know where Mac is...I don't need to know its 'house number' to find it on a map, so I never knew. Haha. Well, I may have known when applying, but it's not like I memorized the number just waiting for the day it'd become the name of the campus pub.

I think most people who are not so active in the school environment, are in the same boat. Sure, anyone who is on the SRA or a MacInsider's Exec (etc), someone who sees the address on a regular basis, would be crazy not to know Mac is at 1280 Main...but a regular Joe, whose only correspondence with Mac has their home address on the letter...perhaps not so much.

To quote the Mathematician's adage:

"Everything is impossible, until it's trivial."

What may seem like common knowledge to you, may not infact be common knowledge. Case in point: The proof of the Fundamental theorem of Calculus seems like common knowledge to me...

Last edited by Mowicz : 06-18-2009 at 09:09 PM. Reason: Grammar Catastrophe
Old 06-18-2009 at 09:09 PM   #58
temara.brown
MacInsiders Staff
Program: Origins Research Specialization

Liked: 352 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowicz View Post
Sure, anyone who is on the SRA or a MacInsider's Exec (etc), someone who sees the address on a regular basis, would be crazy not to know Mac is at 1280 Main...but a regular Joe, whose only correspondence with Mac has their home address on the letter...perhaps not so much.
I was SRA, am exec, and didn't get the name until I read it on here. (fail?) It'd just have to be one of those things you find out after awhile or ask about.
Old 06-18-2009 at 09:10 PM   #59
Matt Wright
Program: Chemical Engineering
Year: Fifth
Residence: The Great City of Hamilton

Liked: 54 Times
Let's say...
Let's just play along and assume the name of quarters is:

Would you go? Would you tell your friends? Would you be proud it call it your own?

• What else would you like to see?
  • What else would you change from Quarters?
  • What promotions would make you come out more?

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search