MacInsiders Logo
View Poll Results: What should the new Quarters be called?
Sterling Station 11 4.47%
The Union or Union Station 14 5.69%
1280 122 49.59%
The Scholar 16 6.50%
I'm a rebel and want it to stay named "Quarters" 83 33.74%
Voters: 246. You may not vote on this poll

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
Called for Interview after Accepting Offer Allan Volunteering Opportunities 6 05-18-2010 11:50 AM
Breaking news Re: Bursaries sniderj Financial Aid 4 02-02-2010 09:14 AM
The New Quarters Will Be Called "1280" Chad MacInsiders Announcements 36 07-17-2009 07:20 PM
I Think Quarters Should Be Called... Matt Wright General Discussion 111 06-18-2009 12:08 PM

*Breaking News* Quarters Will Be Called...

Old 06-18-2009 at 03:24 PM   #30
5footwonder
Faculty: Science
Year: Third

Liked: 2 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
But if it's called "1280", the real question is, how will it be pronounced?

1) One thousand two hundred and eighty
2) One Two Eight Zero
3) Twelve Eight Zero
4) One Two Eighty
5) Twelve Eighty

I personally prefer the first one because it takes the longest to say and is guaranteed to frustrate people over time.

HAHA i prefer option 5
Old 06-18-2009 at 03:39 PM   #31
Nino
Insider Agent (IA)
Program: Business
Year: Other
Residence: Brandon Hall

Liked: 91 Times
Haha, I'm pretty sure it would be pronounced "Twelve Eighty".
  Deleted Post Deleted Post
Old 06-18-2009 at 03:55 PM   #32
PilotMal
Program: Geography & Earth Sciences
Year: First
Residence: SOCS

Liked: 30 Times
Despite what I said earlier, 1280 ftw!
And I'd say it "Twelve Eighty" just to not confuse myself
Old 06-18-2009 at 03:57 PM   #33
zango
Elite Member
Program: Biochemistry & Biomedical Sciences
Year: Fourth

Liked: 86 Times
1280 if i had to choose from those...

but none of the above are preferred... lol
Old 06-18-2009 at 04:12 PM   #34
davey
Elite Member
Program: Nursing
Residence: SOCS!

Liked: 14 Times
I don't like any of them.... 1280 has too many syllables in it. "Lets go to 1280!". I dunno. Just doesn't sound good to me. Out of those my vote is on The Union (not Union Station though).
Old 06-18-2009 at 04:17 PM   #35
AndrewC
Program: Commerce

Liked: 0 Times
Hey everyone,

We actually already have a poll up on the MSU website with an explanation of the names. This will be the only official poll used in determining the name so if you want your voice heard then you have to vote there.

In addition, there will be a Quarters forum on the website as well...the SRA and BoD will be monitoring that so if you want you opinions heard, then check for it in the upcoming days. Continue to use Macinsiders because it is great, however the MSU website will be the official means.

Thanks for all your input.
McMaster University
Old 06-18-2009 at 04:22 PM   #36
sew12
Elite Member
Program: Multimedia
Residence: SOCS

Liked: 473 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aani View Post

Just out of curiosity....how was 1280 coined? Am i missing something completely obvious?
Yes you are, lol.

McMaster's address is 1280 Main Street.
Old 06-18-2009 at 04:22 PM   #37
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff
Program: Honours Molecular Biology and Genetics
Year: Alumni
Residence: Edwards 08-09, SOCS 09-12

Liked: 604 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davey View Post
I don't like any of them.... 1280 has too many syllables in it. "Lets go to 1280!". I dunno. Just doesn't sound good to me. Out of those my vote is on The Union (not Union Station though).
If you pronounce it "twelve eighty" it has as many syllables as "The Union". Who suggested Union Station though, I would get so confused being a Torontonian...

Another thing about 1280 will be the horrible joke attached to saying "Let's go to 1280": We're already there! -_- But I do like the name either way ^-^
Old 06-18-2009 at 04:35 PM   #38
deadpool
X-Man
Program: Fighting

Liked: 394 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewC View Post
Hey everyone,

We actually already have a poll up on the MSU website with an explanation of the names. This will be the only official poll used in determining the name so if you want your voice heard then you have to vote there.

In addition, there will be a Quarters forum on the website as well...the SRA and BoD will be monitoring that so if you want you opinions heard, then check for it in the upcoming days. Continue to use Macinsiders because it is great, however the MSU website will be the official means.

How is the MSU website any more legitimate than MacInsiders. The MSU website is not very usable. For starters, nobody actually has been told what the results of the poll that occurred months ago, which still is up on the site.

Next, MacInsiders allows for the sharing of opinions. If the SRA has taught me anything its that debate is more important than actual votes, so why isn't that principle being applied to the MSU website. If the poll on the MSU Website ever reflected the points brought up in the thread Matt Wright started, it would have been more legitimate.

Moreover, how does the MSU actually plan on moderating the website when they don't even have a single person on staff whose job it is to monitor and moderate the website. I mean, Mike Wooder puts up articles, but his job is far more complicated and time consuming than that.

But in the end, the polls mean nothing. There are no measures in place to stop a person from voting multiple times. The same way that many websites do it, any of us could organize a big internet prank where everyone votes a certain way, just to skew your results.

Bring some legitimacy to this. Forget the polls, they are merely a graphical representation of some peoples opinions. Listen to the debates, and read the messages from people who list their real name and faculty, with real facebook profiles, and proper standing within the MSU.

Besides, I'm pretty dismayed to hear that you Mr. Caterine, the founder of the MSU Open Forum, and an active MacInsiders member and 08/09 MSU critic are trying to tell us to cease using the same practices that you did when you were not an elected official.

huzaifa47, kokosas, lorend all say thanks to deadpool for this post.
Old 06-18-2009 at 04:38 PM   #39
homeskillet
Faculty: Arts & Science
Year: First

Liked: 11 Times
lol oh rohan....
Old 06-18-2009 at 04:38 PM   #40
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff
Program: Honours Molecular Biology and Genetics
Residence: Edwards 08-09, SOCS 09-12

Liked: 604 Times
I still can't find the poll :\
Old 06-18-2009 at 04:39 PM   #41
davey
Elite Member
Program: Nursing
Residence: SOCS!

Liked: 14 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
If you pronounce it "twelve eighty" it has as many syllables as "The Union". Who suggested Union Station though, I would get so confused being a Torontonian...

Another thing about 1280 will be the horrible joke attached to saying "Let's go to 1280": We're already there! -_- But I do like the name either way ^-^
Hmm. Under that name, I think most people would drop the "The", and opt to call it "Union" as opposed to "The Union" much like Union Market.... but I guess that could get confusing for both establishments.
Old 06-18-2009 at 04:43 PM   #42
Nino
Insider Agent (IA)
Program: Business
Residence: Brandon Hall

Liked: 91 Times
Here is the link to the poll: http://www.msumcmaster.ca/servicesan...Info/poll1.htm
Here is the link to the meaning behind each name: http://www.msumcmaster.ca/servicesan...ninfo/Name.htm
Old 06-18-2009 at 04:51 PM   #43
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff
Program: BA (Hons) CSCT and Anthropology, BA (Hons) English & Indigenous Studies
Residence: Whidden

Liked: 507 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewC View Post
Hey everyone,

If you already had a poll, why didn't you post a link onto MacInsiders instead of putting us down? We didn't know one existed because there is no notice of it on the main website.

Students do not, and will not hunt, for information, they want it at their fingertips at all times. I had to use the search option to find it, which means most students are not going to get much further beyond the MSU main page.

Interestingly enough, the poll is considered "General Information" on the Quarters site. If anyone is interested, you can vote here. *edit, dammit Fadil, you beat me to it*

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadpool View Post
How is the MSU website any more legitimate than MacInsiders. The MSU website is not very usable. For starters, nobody actually has been told what the results of the poll that occurred months ago, which still is up on the site.

Next, MacInsiders allows for the sharing of opinions. If the SRA has taught me anything its that debate is more important than actual votes, so why isn't that principle being applied to the MSU website. If the poll on the MSU Website ever reflected the points brought up in the thread Matt Wright started, it would have been more legitimate.

Moreover, how does the MSU actually plan on moderating the website when they don't even have a single person on staff whose job it is to monitor and moderate the website. I mean, Mike Wooder puts up articles, but his job is far more complicated and time consuming than that.

But in the end, the polls mean nothing. There are no measures in place to stop a person from voting multiple times. The same way that many websites do it, any of us could organize a big internet prank where everyone votes a certain way, just to skew your results.

Bring some legitimacy to this. Forget the polls, they are merely a graphical representation of some peoples opinions. Listen to the debates, and read the messages from people who list their real name and faculty, with real facebook profiles, and proper standing within the MSU.

Besides, I'm pretty dismayed to hear that you Mr. Caterine, the founder of the MSU Open Forum, and an active MacInsiders member and 08/09 MSU critic are trying to tell us to cease using the same practices that you did when you were not an elected official.
You cannot vote multiple times on a MacInsiders poll with the same username, so our poll is actually more accurate than the MSU one is.

But you are indeed right Rohan, discussion and debate is more important in this instance. And since MSU members cannot attend the next SRA meeting (which is at Bark Lake on July 11th) this is the only avenue available until the rest of the meetings for the summer are scheduled.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Last edited by lorend : 06-18-2009 at 04:54 PM. Reason: I got beaten to it.
Old 06-18-2009 at 05:22 PM   #44
feonateresa
Elite Member
Program: Cognitive Science of Language

Liked: 196 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post

LOL! I'm so going to be the person who says that haha.

The U-Ni-On
Twelve Eigh-Ty.

Yeah, Union has more syllables. I don't know, I agree about the Torontonian thing. I can just see someone asking me to go to Union Station, and I'd be like, "I'm not going home today o.O."

There should've been an actual like... poll booth thing set up in the Student Centre or something. MacInsiders or whatever tool they're using can't represent the student body that much.

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search