MacInsiders Logo
View Poll Results: What should the new Quarters be called?
Sterling Station 11 4.47%
The Union or Union Station 14 5.69%
1280 122 49.59%
The Scholar 16 6.50%
I'm a rebel and want it to stay named "Quarters" 83 33.74%
Voters: 246. You may not vote on this poll

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
Called for Interview after Accepting Offer Allan Volunteering Opportunities 6 05-18-2010 11:50 AM
Breaking news Re: Bursaries sniderj Financial Aid 4 02-02-2010 09:14 AM
The New Quarters Will Be Called "1280" Chad MacInsiders Announcements 36 07-17-2009 07:20 PM
I Think Quarters Should Be Called... Matt Wright General Discussion 111 06-18-2009 12:08 PM

*Breaking News* Quarters Will Be Called...

Old 06-18-2009 at 09:53 PM   #75
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff
Program: Honours Molecular Biology and Genetics
Year: Alumni
Residence: Edwards 08-09, SOCS 09-12

Liked: 604 Times
LOL, I love the comment too:

"It's called Darwin's Law.

Many people don't (can't?) map read anymore, so first the GPS gives them a few safe easy trips, just to train them. Then it tells them to drive along railway lines or into a river (actual cases!) just to see if they are still paying attention and worthy of continuing to be a member of the human race."

Wow, I can't believe how many people lack common sense...

Hmmm, a health care type name? o.O
  Deleted Post Deleted Post
Old 06-18-2009 at 09:58 PM   #76
Mowicz
Elite Member
Program: Mathematics & Statistics

Liked: 529 Times
Nothing says we need a Hamilton-esque name...but health care's about all we could choose if we wanted something flattering and about Hamilton.

Well...I guess maybe we could name it after Cootes Paradise, in some way?

Maybe we could name it "The Garage" and put a REAL CAR INSIDE! Yeeeeeeah...

Is he joking? You just don't know!

EDIT: And about the GPS, I'd imagine it's intimidating to hear "Turn left now!" even if you were driving as you should, if it conflicts with your judgment. Many people assume they are the ones in error, make a snap decision to trust the box, and in half a second it's too late to turn back: you're in an accident.

Last edited by Mowicz : 06-18-2009 at 10:02 PM.
Old 06-18-2009 at 10:00 PM   #77
sew12
Elite Member
Program: Multimedia
Year: Fourth
Residence: SOCS

Liked: 473 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowicz View Post
Nothing says we need a Hamilton-esque name...but health care's about all we could choose if we wanted something flattering and about Hamilton.

Well...I guess maybe we could name it after Cootes Paradise, in some way?
As far as I can tell from posts here by MSU peeps and the name will be one of the choices on the official poll. It will not stay Quarters and it will be changed to one of their options. The options are all the options on the poll here + The Downstairs John (which is an old name of a Mac pub).
Old 06-18-2009 at 10:04 PM   #78
Mowicz
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sew12 View Post
As far as I can tell from posts here by MSU peeps and the name will be one of the choices on the official poll. It will not stay Quarters and it will be changed to one of their options. The options are all the options on the poll here + The Downstairs John (which is an old name of a Mac pub).
Oh I don't expect to change anything. It's just good times. (Besides, the thing you quoted was not addressing the Quarters renaming scheme per se...it was addressing the fact that Hamilton stinks and you can't really make good names reflecting Hamilton Pride)
Old 06-18-2009 at 10:06 PM   #79
Nino
Insider Agent (IA)
Program: Business
Year: Other
Residence: Brandon Hall

Liked: 91 Times
I assure you that you will get used to the name regardless of what it is. It's the atmosphere of the place and what it has to offer that will ultimately decide whether students go to it or not. As mentionned, even the name Quarters was not liked by a number of students at the time. Eventually though, students got used to the name.
Old 06-18-2009 at 10:07 PM   #80
sew12
Elite Member
Program: Multimedia
Residence: SOCS

Liked: 473 Times
Quote:
Oh I don't expect to change anything. It's just good times. (Besides, the thing you quoted was not addressing the Quarters renaming scheme per se...it was addressing the fact that Hamilton stinks and you can't really make good names reflecting Hamilton Pride)
Aside from Mac the rest of Hamilton is pretty lame, I would agree.

I think the 1280 is less of a Hamilton thing and more of a Mac thing though.
Old 06-18-2009 at 10:12 PM   #81
Mowicz
Elite Member

This is true...but I guess I'm neglecting the fact that Hamilton's got it own 'mountain.' I can take a 5 minute walk, and see for miles, looking out onto downtown and the lake. The view is nice...but sadly, if you live close enough to appreciate it, you get desensitized.
Old 06-18-2009 at 10:12 PM   #82
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013
MSU Staff
Program: PoliSci & Sociology with Econ Minor
Residence: SOCS!

Liked: 361 Times
Before this thread deviates more into GPS systems a quick chime in about why I think the MSU Poll isn't slightly valid at all. 4-5 years back when I used to be "in" with computer programming and hacking I could create in under an hour a very simple code applet that could flood the msu poll with whatever name choice I want, had you given a bit more time I could program it to poll after several intervals and with enough time even poll hiding behind different Ip's(though that was a bit more complicated).

Alot of time has passed since then and I refuse to believe that any computer engineering student(ERTW! ) or just about anyone in touch with programming recently; if so inclined cannot do that in a day. Hence I would suggest there be some other method, allowing people to Email the response or filling it out after logging in with your Mac ID or logging into the MSU job portal and then doing it OR right here at Macinsiders(where you can only do it once). If not then can we atleast make the form a bit more complicated, like something that asks random stuff like Student Id# or better yet a Captcha atleast!?

Having said that I really appreciate the Quarters panel's ability to gauge student opinion against the rusty scholar and come up with a new poll to suggest other options, it shows you guys are in touch with the student body to some extent(though it did take some timely and effective online campaiging to get their attention in the first place)! I do hope you guys keep it up.

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Old 06-18-2009 at 10:18 PM   #83
Mowicz
Elite Member

@huzaifa47: What if they implemented CAPTCHA? (The 'type in what you see/hear' thing you sometimes get when registering for stuff now)

I'm not very in with computers anymore, so I was just wondering if that's still an issue.
Old 06-18-2009 at 10:20 PM   #84
huzaifa47
MSU Staff

Quote:
This is true...but I guess I'm neglecting the fact that Hamilton's got it own 'mountain.' I can take a 5 minute walk, and see for miles, looking out onto downtown and the lake. The view is nice...but sadly, if you live close enough to appreciate it, you get desensitized.
5 Minutes? Where close to Mac can you see the downtown AND the lake from a height? From what I remember It takes around 30-40 Minute by bus(Mac to James Street then a Bus that goes South towards upper James/Wellington and you get off at Mountain Facepark to be able to see Toronto/Sauga/Oakville and the lake?

Old 06-18-2009 at 10:24 PM   #85
huzaifa47
MSU Staff

Well if they implement Captcha they can get rid of the amatuer attempts to Flood the poll "virtually", because Captcha as you know it requires you to decipher an image and type it in; which most automated flooding systems obviously cannot. Sure if you are skilled enough you can even just jump past the Captcha system but that would be more risky and would qualify as a cyber crime(technically it would be hacking into the website itself, sort off)

Old 06-18-2009 at 10:29 PM   #86
FireDragoonX
Elite Member
Faculty: Business / Commerce

Liked: 142 Times
well, you have to register to be on macinsiders...
simple captcha's can be bypassed by using some kind of Neural networking OCR code.
I doubt anyone will try to flood this poll though with their response
Old 06-18-2009 at 10:37 PM   #87
feonateresa
Elite Member
Program: Cognitive Science of Language

Liked: 196 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by huzaifa47 View Post
5 Minutes? Where close to Mac can you see the downtown AND the lake from a height? From what I remember It takes around 30-40 Minute by bus(Mac to James Street then a Bus that goes South towards upper James/Wellington and you get off at Mountain Facepark to be able to see Toronto/Sauga/Oakville and the lake?
I didn't know you could see Toronto from up there o.O
Is there a way, other than that, to get to the mountain on the other side (closer to Mac)? Or do you have to take a bus all the way there from Downtown?

Oh yeah, speaking of waterfalls - where are they? All in East Hamilton?
Does anyone remember what the name of that TLC song? I know it had waterfalls in it... ._.
Old 06-18-2009 at 10:43 PM   #88
huzaifa47
MSU Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireDragoonX View Post
well, you have to register to be on macinsiders...
simple captcha's can be bypassed by using some kind of Neural networking OCR code.
I doubt anyone will try to flood this poll though with their response
Probably, But programming that kind of neural networking OCRs isn't a piece of cake, captha's these days are getting more and more abstract. A simple 5x6 pixel box for example isn't that complicated I would imagine, but doing receptors for more complex ones(I remember a good one recently which asked me the answer for a mathematical calculation or a factual answer like where does the sun rise) is advanced level stuff and you are right I don't reckon anyone would try doing such stuff, but still it's 1/1000000 possibility or something :S

Old 06-18-2009 at 10:43 PM   #89
Nino
Insider Agent (IA)
Program: Business
Year: Other
Residence: Brandon Hall

Liked: 91 Times
Huzaifa, statistics from the poll on the MSU website will be used to get the general idea of what name most students prefer. Furthermore, from what I've been told, a good number of students left comments too which will also be useful. The statistics from the poll on MacInsiders will definitely be considered as well!

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search