MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Interesting Data zeChinaman General Discussion 14 04-12-2010 04:22 PM
Some rather Interesting websites! :0 huzaifa47 General Discussion 4 08-26-2009 09:21 PM
McMaster Fun Facts Victor K General Discussion 42 07-08-2009 11:52 PM
Interesting Videos.... lorend General Discussion 7 03-15-2009 03:57 PM
Interesting video... 'hugs' Chad Computers & Tech 4 10-16-2006 03:18 PM

Did You Know? Interesting Facts!

Old 08-26-2009 at 10:25 PM   #91
Goce
Elite Member

Liked: 36 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taunton View Post
Prove it.

This is just a conspiracy theory as far as I'm concerned. Lots of talk and no walk.
I dont doubt the currency but the banking I very much do. Regionalism is in, so don't be suprised if it becomes a "Clash of Civilizations" type of scenario in the near future. Personally, I think regionalism is much needed in this globalized economy.
Old 08-27-2009 at 12:59 AM   #92
EasternHeat
Elite Member

Liked: 60 Times

Quote:
Okay... I'll show you how here, and then I'll consider writing a full article for everyone else.

Interesting Fact - You can access research articles and other legitimate academic references/sources via the Mac Library website

Go to the McMaster University Libraries website:

http://library.mcmaster.ca/

Click "Articles/Databases" and from there you can search in a number of different ways.

Try clicking the "All databases" link to browse all the databases McMaster has access to.

Browse around to get a feel for what's available. Most science students know about PubMed, but that's not the best database for most science student's needs. A great database is "Web of Science", and a subsidiary of "web of science" which is really great for bio students is called "biosis previews". Those are mostly what I personally use.

Browse around and get a feel for it. Also, it would be useful to learn how the search functions work on each database you use, because it can really help in finding that one elusive reference you really need (out of hundreds of thousands or millions of possible hits).

When you do click on a database name from home, you'll be prompted for your LibAccess login... that's just your MacID. When you access databases from campus, you're not prompted for your ID.
Thank you for that it will be a great help in doing research and such.

Old 08-27-2009 at 01:04 AM   #93
EasternHeat
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Sara*~ View Post
Sigh, finally someone knows this! I wish everyone knew how horrible that so called "hobby" is >.<
Well there is no doubt the amount of smoke you inhale from sheesha is far greater than that of cigarettes (and any amount of smoke is unhealthy for you). However, the difference lies in the amount of chemicals in each. Sheesha has very little chemicals compared to cigarettes. Cigarettes have thousands (yes literally thousands) of different chemicals in them and many of them are known carcinogens (such as formaldehyde). Therefore I would presume cigarettes are worse just because of the fact that they have all this really really bad stuff in them. Plus have you ever tried a cigarette, its absolutely disgusting compared to sheesha. I did and I coughed like mad.

Plus don't even get started with sheesha. Drinking is worse for you in both the short term and long term. How many people die from drunk driving/other issues that have to do with drunk peope...

Old 08-27-2009 at 01:48 PM   #94
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasternHeat View Post
Plus don't even get started with sheesha. Drinking is worse for you in both the short term and long term. How many people die from drunk driving/other issues that have to do with drunk peope...
According to the WHO, tobacco use is accountable for over 12% of total global adult mortality, and alcohol is accountable for 3.2% of total global adult mortality. Tobacco use is significantly worse for health and society, and yes, sheesha counts as tobacco use.

Sources: http://www.who.int/publications/cra/.../0883-0958.pdf
http://www.who.int/publications/cra/.../0959-1108.pdf

The reason some people think alcohol is worse than tobacco use is because alcohol-related deaths and injuries are often far more shocking and visible. People dying of heart disease and lung cancer in the hospital don't make the news... vicious car accidents and lost limbs do.
Old 08-27-2009 at 02:25 PM   #95
EasternHeat
Elite Member

Quote:
According to the WHO, tobacco use is accountable for over 12% of total global adult mortality, and alcohol is accountable for 3.2% of total global adult mortality. Tobacco use is significantly worse for health and society, and yes, sheesha counts as tobacco use.

The reason some people think alcohol is worse than tobacco use is because alcohol-related deaths and injuries are often far more shocking and visible. People dying of heart disease and lung cancer in the hospital don't make the news... vicious car accidents and lost limbs do.

Why would you count it as tobacco use? Yes it has tobacco in it, but half of it is molasses and yes it has 0.05% nicotine in it...now please search up all the chemicals in standard cigarettes and there is a big difference. People don't die of lung cancer and all that stuff from sheesha, they die from smoking cigarettes. I've never heard of anyone dying from sheesha. So cigarettes and drinking are much worse.

Old 08-27-2009 at 03:00 PM   #96
Afzal
Android Dev

Liked: 416 Times

don't forget drinking also causes several other crimes indirectly...like harassment or rape
Old 08-27-2009 at 03:02 PM   #97
EasternHeat
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afzal View Post
don't forget drinking also causes several other crimes indirectly...like harassment or rape
Exactly.

(2nd video is the official trailer, the 1st is the funny one)

Btw interesting fact: this is hilarious! haha

*EDIT: its funnier if you actually watch the official trailer first and see the difference hehe*

Last edited by EasternHeat : 08-27-2009 at 03:06 PM.
Old 08-27-2009 at 03:25 PM   #98
u.yousaf

Liked: 39 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasternHeat View Post
Exactly.

(2nd video is the official trailer, the 1st is the funny one)

Btw interesting fact: this is hilarious! haha

*EDIT: its funnier if you actually watch the official trailer first and see the difference hehe*

LOL. I seriously don't get why people go crazy over these movies. Anyways you should have probably posted this here: http://www.macinsiders.com/showthrea...hlight=youtube

Old 08-27-2009 at 05:22 PM   #99
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:

12% doesn't mean anything when it's tied to tobacco. You'll have to come up with the data for shisha related mortalities and not general tobacco. For all we know it could be 11% cigarettes and 1% shisha.
Old 08-27-2009 at 11:37 PM   #100
EasternHeat
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
12% doesn't mean anything when it's tied to tobacco. You'll have to come up with the data for shisha related mortalities and not general tobacco. For all we know it could be 11% cigarettes and 1% shisha.
I would highly doubt its even 1% sheesha because most people that do it don't do it on a regular basis like cigarettes AND cigarette smoke is much worse in the sense that it contains thousands of chemicals many of which are known carcinogens and other harsh chemicals. Plus wtf is up with putting tar in there? Like come on.

Old 08-28-2009 at 12:17 AM   #101
Nino
Insider Agent (IA)

Liked: 91 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by parikhn View Post
This is sort of off-topic but besides the interesting facts I LOVED the music in that video.
I agree! I am trying to figure out the name of the song...
Old 08-28-2009 at 12:22 AM   #102
moops
Elite Member

Liked: 40 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by elshaif View Post
I agree! I am trying to figure out the name of the song...
Will you be my friend forever if I tell you the name of the song? I just found out what it is.

Old 08-28-2009 at 12:28 AM   #103
EasternHeat
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by parikhn View Post
Will you be my friend forever if I tell you the name of the song? I just found out what it is.
I'm sure he would be either way

Old 08-28-2009 at 12:36 AM   #104
moops
Elite Member

Liked: 40 Times

Ha, I'll tell you anyways its Fatboy Slim - Right here, right now.

I'm usually a fan of Fatboy Slim music so I'm surprised I didn't recognize it in the video.

Old 08-28-2009 at 12:39 AM   #105
Nino
Insider Agent (IA)

Liked: 91 Times

Neepa, you are now my friend forever! ahaha thanks a lot