MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Interesting Data zeChinaman General Discussion 14 04-12-2010 04:22 PM
Some rather Interesting websites! :0 huzaifa47 General Discussion 4 08-26-2009 09:21 PM
McMaster Fun Facts Victor K General Discussion 42 07-08-2009 11:52 PM
Interesting Videos.... lorend General Discussion 7 03-15-2009 03:57 PM
Interesting video... 'hugs' Chad Computers & Tech 4 10-16-2006 03:18 PM

Did You Know? Interesting Facts!

Old 08-28-2009 at 07:52 PM   #121
reeves
Jedi IRL

Liked: 557 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasternHeat View Post
I would highly doubt its even 1% sheesha because most people that do it don't do it on a regular basis like cigarettes AND cigarette smoke is much worse in the sense that it contains thousands of chemicals many of which are known carcinogens and other harsh chemicals. Plus wtf is up with putting tar in there? Like come on.
http://www.nosmokingegypt.ne t/Summ...20shisha.p df

And

http://www.emro.who.int/tfi/PDF/shisha.pdf

Apparently, it's much worse than you think.

Taunton says thanks to reeves for this post.
Old 08-28-2009 at 07:55 PM   #122
EasternHeat
Elite Member

Liked: 60 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
I think that's Moore's law, and it has been true for a long time. Transistors are approaching maximum smallness though, so to keep this law true, someone is going to have to invent a whole new technology.... or make everything bigger :p.
2 words: Nano Technology

But even then after a certain period of time we will be reaching a "limit. " Hey looks like math is useful haha.

Old 08-28-2009 at 08:17 PM   #123
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
But even then after a certain period of time we will be reaching a "limit. " Hey looks like math is useful haha.
WOO! LIMIT!

http://muss.cis.mcmaster.ca/~parchimp/module1.html (Shameless plug)

------------

Seems kind of funny to call something a Law when it clearly has an endpoint, haha. Atoms have a definite size...and you can't get smaller than it. So if you keep 'log base 2ing' the number of atoms in modern electronics, then you've got a definite lower bound and a point where the law will be defied.
Old 08-28-2009 at 08:46 PM   #124
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeves View Post

Thanks reeves, apparently the dangerous misconception that shisha is not tobacco and is not dangerous is not something that will go away easily. The evidence exists, and blindly ignoring the evidence won't make it go away.
Old 08-28-2009 at 08:47 PM   #125
Taunton
Elite Member

Quote:
I would highly doubt its even 1% sheesha because most people that do it don't do it on a regular basis like cigarettes AND cigarette smoke is much worse in the sense that it contains thousands of chemicals many of which are known carcinogens and other harsh chemicals. Plus wtf is up with putting tar in there? Like come on.
Tar is not an additive... there's tar in shisha too (as well as many of the carcinogens (created via combustion) and other chemicals). Tar is created from the microscopic particles of smoke dissolving in saliva and mucous, forming a tar-like substance. Apparently you don't know as much about this as you thought.
Old 08-28-2009 at 08:50 PM   #126
reeves
Jedi IRL

Liked: 557 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taunton View Post
Thanks reeves, apparently the dangerous misconception that shisha is not tobacco and is not dangerous is not something that will go away easily. The evidence exists, and blindly ignoring the evidence won't make it go away.
Well, i'm a smoker, and yes, I know what I'm doing to myself. It's only fair that anyone smoking something else knows what they're getting themselves into as well.
Old 08-28-2009 at 08:53 PM   #127
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Tar is not an additive... there's tar in shisha too (as well as many of the carcinogens (created via combustion) and other chemicals). Tar is created from the microscopic particles of smoke dissolving in saliva and mucous, forming a tar-like substance. Apparently you don't know as much about this as you thought.
Ah, that is very interesting. I forgot about how smoke contains soot which, like you stated, forms a tar-like substance when dissolved in saliva/mucous.
Old 08-28-2009 at 08:55 PM   #128
Taunton
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeves View Post
Well, i'm a smoker, and yes, I know what I'm doing to myself. It's only fair that anyone smoking something else knows what they're getting themselves into as well.
Agreed... it might be a personality flaw or something, but I just get really annoyed when people ignore facts like this and stubbornly hold to their misconceptions. At least you understand and acknowledge the problems associated with tobacco; it's the people who refuse to acknowledge the fact that shisha is not safe or glamorous. Either way, I'm finished with this now... I've done my part. If people want to ignore facts and hurt themselves then that's their business.
Old 08-28-2009 at 08:59 PM   #129
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Agreed... it might be a personality flaw or something, but I just get really annoyed when people ignore facts like this and stubbornly hold to their misconceptions. At least you understand and acknowledge the problems associated with tobacco; it's the people who refuse to acknowledge the fact that shisha is not safe or glamorous. Either way, I'm finished with this now... I've done my part. If people want to ignore facts and hurt themselves then that's their business.
I find it's always good to approach issues in an unbiased way. I like to learn about the world around me. I don't ignore facts but I do question them for the sake of complete understanding.
Old 08-28-2009 at 09:20 PM   #130
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
I find it's always good to approach issues in an unbiased way. I like to learn about the world around me. I don't ignore facts but I do question them for the sake of complete understanding.
Speaking of approaching issues in an unbiased way and learning about the world; I'm watching this documentary called "Ancient Aliens" made last year for the History Channel. It argues how Aliens probably came down and helped us build a whole bunch of cool stuff a long time ago (pyramids, some massive flat-topped mountains somewhere in South America .etc), and how they may form a basis for a lot religions today.

Not to sound like a freak who hides in his basement with aluminum foil over the windows, but some of the evidence they have is pretty damn convincing; you guys should check it out :p
Old 08-28-2009 at 09:21 PM   #131
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Speaking of approaching issues in an unbiased way and learning about the world; I'm watching this documentary called "Ancient Aliens" made last year for the History Channel. It argues how Aliens probably came down and helped us build a whole bunch of cool stuff a long time ago (pyramids, some massive flat-topped mountains somewhere in South America .etc), and how they may form a basis for a lot religions today.

Not to sound like a freak who hides in his basement with aluminum foil over the windows, but some of the evidence they have is pretty damn convincing; you guys should check it out :p
Cool, I'll check it out! ^-^
Old 08-28-2009 at 09:25 PM   #132
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Quote:
Cool, I'll check it out! ^-^
Oh, I forgot to add, if you're looking for it on the internet as a torrent or something, make sure you get the 2009 one. There is a way crappier documentary out there by the same name from 2007 :p.
Old 08-28-2009 at 09:28 PM   #133
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Oh, I forgot to add, if you're looking for it on the internet as a torrent or something, make sure you get the 2009 one. There is a way crappier documentary out there by the same name from 2007 :p.
I was thinking of looking for a streaming version...
Old 08-28-2009 at 09:31 PM   #134
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Quote:
I was thinking of looking for a streaming version...
Just found it :p

jhan523, lawleypop all say thanks to Ownaginatios for this post.
Old 08-28-2009 at 09:47 PM   #135
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Just found it :p

Thanks, I actually found a better version: http://www.ninjavideo.net/video/36651

That's right, NinjaVideo FTW!

lawleypop, NickAcc all say thanks to jhan523 for this post.