MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Swimming Lessons at Mac! mcmastergcdb Athletics & Recreation 24 06-07-2010 03:43 PM
life guard lessons at Mac? killza Athletics & Recreation 8 05-10-2010 12:59 AM
Driving lessons mac-lover Automotive & Transportation 34 04-01-2010 02:31 PM
Guitar lessons **jewel 03** Music 48 01-10-2010 03:07 PM
Driving Lessons Richa Automotive & Transportation 19 01-03-2010 06:31 PM

Guitar Lessons/Jam

Old 02-10-2010 at 03:36 PM   #61
Proxy

Liked: 7 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCrowChuck View Post
Hey, Unplugged will be preffered for the lessons, and a guitar is not even needed, but may help. This is because I know musicians, and especially guitarists, they can't hold a guitar for 3 seconds without playing! And you guys know it's true!

However, it would be ideal to have 'Jams' aswell, where we can play songs and use concepts we learned together.
Guitar isn't needed? So you mean we can just learn the theories and such and practice at home?

I ask because I told my friend about this and she's interested but doesn't have a guitar in Hamilton to bring over to the meetings.

Also VH's Facebook group is the only one we join? Just making sure.

Old 02-10-2010 at 03:37 PM   #62
Victis

Liked: 0 Times

Well, unlike VH here who seems to have enough cash to keep up a guitar gear collection, I'm pretty poor. I've been wanting my own guitar for a long while and it's just recently that there's enough money saved for it.

Unplugged it is!
Old 02-10-2010 at 03:55 PM   #63
VastHorizon
Elite Member

Liked: 128 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victis View Post
Well, unlike VH here who seems to have enough cash to keep up a guitar gear collection, I'm pretty poor. I've been wanting my own guitar for a long while and it's just recently that there's enough money saved for it.

Unplugged it is!
No, I do not have enough cash. If I did, then my house would be filled with vintage gear by now.
Old 02-10-2010 at 03:59 PM   #64
VastHorizon
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proxy View Post
Guitar isn't needed? So you mean we can just learn the theories and such and practice at home?

I ask because I told my friend about this and she's interested but doesn't have a guitar in Hamilton to bring over to the meetings.

Also VH's Facebook group is the only one we join? Just making sure.
Having a guitar while in a lesson is great because the person teaching you can correct whatever your mistakes are (fingering, picking technique, etc.).

I don't think going to a lesson without a guitar is a good idea. YMMV
Old 02-10-2010 at 04:07 PM   #65
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

So, I was definitely under the impression that this would be a more group kind of thing... not just individual (1v1) lessons.

I dunno, I personally think it'd be a lot more chill if we did group things, and the more experienced could mentor the less experienced, but they'd all be learning the same things (that is, if everyone's at the same level of course)

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 02-10-2010 at 04:24 PM   #66
VastHorizon
Elite Member

Yep. That was what I was also thinking.
Old 02-10-2010 at 04:24 PM   #67
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VastHorizon View Post
Yep. That was what I was also thinking.
Oh, okay. Then I got the wrong impression from your facebook message. XD

Old 02-10-2010 at 05:14 PM   #68
Victis

Liked: 0 Times

I don't have facebook so I don't really know what's going on right now...

I didn't think this was one on one, I thought it was group based as Chuck did say group sessions in his first post. I have to admit I thought it would be complicated that way. Regardless, I just assumed that Chuck is able to teach what appeals to any level. Simple basics here and there, mixed with something the more experienced can improve on and the less experienced can try. As he said, chords, scales, etc. There's always something new to learn.

Edit: He also did say that one on one can be done, but I'm assuming group primarily. Studies and teaching, he's like a miracle worker.

Last edited by Victis : 02-10-2010 at 05:27 PM.
Old 02-10-2010 at 05:37 PM   #69
astudent

Liked: 6 Times

i'm Shaan. and i think i just got accepted cuz i got the message. (mac guitar society ?) thanks!
Old 02-10-2010 at 11:22 PM   #70
BlueMorphan

Liked: 14 Times

I have one guitar to bring that I could share with someone else if that would help. We doing something tomorrow/friday? Facebook group said either thurs or fri at 3, but no location yet.
Old 02-11-2010 at 12:08 AM   #71
OldCrowChuck

Liked: 3 Times

Hey Guys,
Firday is the day for me. I will post a time (at 3:00 or later) and a location tomorrow on the facebook group 'Mac Guitar Society' and here on the forum.
The fact that you may not have a guitar or are unable to bring one should not deter you from attending a lesson. I will feed you the information necessary to get a good start for when you do have a guitar in your hands. And if you have any questions when the time does come, it is encouraged to post it on the forum or in the facebook group, and the many members will do all they can to assist you!

Chuck
Old 02-11-2010 at 09:05 AM   #72
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

I have class at 4:30 but if I show, I could try and bring both of my guitars and someone could use my electric (my classical is missing a string, haha).

Old 02-11-2010 at 09:29 AM   #73
Yobroskie

Liked: 1 Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
I have class at 4:30 but if I show, I could try and bring both of my guitars and someone could use my electric (my classical is missing a string, haha).
was it the bottom E string by any chance (the very thin one )?
Old 02-11-2010 at 09:42 AM   #74
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Nah, D string.

Old 02-11-2010 at 09:46 AM   #75
Yobroskie

Liked: 1 Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post