MacInsiders Logo
Old 11-13-2009 at 12:53 PM   #136
reeves
Jedi IRL

Liked: 557 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake View Post
Yeah, true. Well, at least we topped Montreal haha.
Stupid salary cup...if there was no salary cap, we would be the Yankees of the NHL.

The salary cap is new. The Leafs sucking isn't.

gmon, mgallant like this.
Old 11-13-2009 at 01:11 PM   #137
Go Leafs Go

Liked: 1 Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeves View Post

The salary cap is new. The Leafs sucking isn't.
LOL? It was only after the lockout (aka when the salary cap was created) the Leafs begun to suck. The season before the lockout (03-04), the Leafs posted a franchise record 103 points (4th best in the league). We made the playoffs and lost in the 2nd round to the flyers. The season before that we made it to the conference finals and lost to Carolina. The season before this one, we made the playoffs and lost to Philly. Yea, we didn’t win the cup, but we didn’t suck.

Yes, we’re not that good right now, but we didn’t always suck. Get your facts straight.

As for the rebuilding, I think it’s going great. We have a #1 goaltender. Don’t worry Leafs fans, Burkie is steering the ship in the right direction.
Old 11-13-2009 at 01:35 PM   #138
chappy89

Liked: 149 Times

no even without the salary cap we would find i way to screw it up... + the fact that the teachers (people who own the majority of the leafs) arent going to want to spend an extra dime....

Side note** is the MLSE evil or something? i just looked at ticket prices and they went up again since last season...how does one come to the conclusion of raising ticket prices in a "recesion"?

if they ever lift the salary cap... we should make a team like the 02' wings... legend-wait for it-dairy

Last edited by chappy89 : 11-13-2009 at 01:38 PM.
Old 11-13-2009 at 03:21 PM   #139
reeves
Jedi IRL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Leafs Go View Post
LOL? It was only after the lockout (aka when the salary cap was created) the Leafs begun to suck. The season before the lockout (03-04), the Leafs posted a franchise record 103 points (4th best in the league). We made the playoffs and lost in the 2nd round to the flyers. The season before that we made it to the conference finals and lost to Carolina. The season before this one, we made the playoffs and lost to Philly. Yea, we didn’t win the cup, but we didn’t suck.

Yes, we’re not that good right now, but we didn’t always suck. Get your facts straight.

As for the rebuilding, I think it’s going great. We have a #1 goaltender. Don’t worry Leafs fans, Burkie is steering the ship in the right direction.
First of all, I am a leafs fan, and I will be no matter how they perform.

As for getting my facts straight, either you weren't born yet, or you mentally blocked out the 80s (not that anyone would blame you for that. And I don't just mean in terms of the Leafs).

In the 12 seasons from 81-82 to 92-93, when all that was needed to make the playoffs was to NOT finish last in their division (which included the then-weak teams of St Louis and Minnesota), they did not qualify 6 of those 12 years. 3 of the 6 times they did make it in, they got hammered in the first round, winning 2 games at the most. And following their last Cup win, from 67-68 to 73-74, they won a total of 3 playoff games. Not enough wins in 7 years combined to win one series.

Still want to say they didnt always suck? The leafs have a few good years here and there, but generally, they suck, and you know it. And if you dont know it, look up the history before you tell me I dont know my facts.

Harold Ballard was notorious for cheaping out and not paying good money for good players. That and his dislike of European players. Much like today though, people still went to the games. One thing no one can say about leaf fans is that we're disloyal. But as long as the fans pay the money MLSE wants to watch a losing team, the team is gonna suck.
Old 11-13-2009 at 05:19 PM   #140
ice8

Liked: 33 Times

Quote:
But as long as the fans pay the money MLSE wants to watch a losing team, the team is gonna suck.
It does NOT matter if fans want to pay MLSE or not. MLSE tends to sell majority of its tickets to the corporations, and that is one of the reasons why there are so many corporate suits at the game having business meeting while the game is going on. As for merchandise, not a lot of fans dont even buy a $500 jersey.

MLSE sells its tickets to buisness owners NOT the fans. Its a buisness game for them not a family game.
Old 11-13-2009 at 08:57 PM   #141
reeves
Jedi IRL

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice8 View Post
It does NOT matter if fans want to pay MLSE or not. MLSE tends to sell majority of its tickets to the corporations, and that is one of the reasons why there are so many corporate suits at the game having business meeting while the game is going on. As for merchandise, not a lot of fans dont even buy a $500 jersey.

MLSE sells its tickets to buisness owners NOT the fans. Its a buisness game for them not a family game.
"The Leafs, along with the Minnesota Wild, currently have the longest sellout streaks in the NHL. As of 2008, there is a waiting list of about 2,500 names for season tickets. Earlier, they sold out every game at Maple Leaf Gardens from 1946 until the building closed in 1999.[13] The Leafs have also sold out every game at the Air Canada Centre since October 2002."

From wiki, citing Forbes and ballparks.com as the sources. Every seat since 1946 (minus the "transitional years" to the ACC) a corporate seat? I dont think so.
Old 11-13-2009 at 10:52 PM   #142
ice8

Quote:
"The Leafs, along with the Minnesota Wild, currently have the longest sellout streaks in the NHL. As of 2008, there is a waiting list of about 2,500 names for season tickets. Earlier, they sold out every game at Maple Leaf Gardens from 1946 until the building closed in 1999.[13] The Leafs have also sold out every game at the Air Canada Centre since October 2002."

From wiki, citing Forbes and ballparks.com as the sources. Every seat since 1946 (minus the "transitional years" to the ACC) a corporate seat? I dont think so.
Yes some people who can afford prolly buy the tix however most of the fans that buy the tickets are situated at the back of the stadium (cheaper price even though they are like $150 each). However, MLSE still sells 90% of its "premium" tix to corporates.
Old 11-14-2009 at 12:10 AM   #143
reeves
Jedi IRL

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice8 View Post
Yes some people who can afford prolly buy the tix however most of the fans that buy the tickets are situated at the back of the stadium (cheaper price even though they are like $150 each). However, MLSE still sells 90% of its "premium" tix to corporates.
You can think that if you want, but I know when I flip on the game on a saturday night, its not a corporate meeting going on behind the player benches, its fans, wearing expensive jerseys. And its (idiot) fans banging on the glass when the players skate by. And when they mange to score a rare goal, its the 20000 fans that cheer.
Old 11-14-2009 at 01:19 AM   #144
ice8

Quote:
You can think that if you want, but I know when I flip on the game on a saturday night, its not a corporate meeting going on behind the player benches, its fans, wearing expensive jerseys. And its (idiot) fans banging on the glass when the players skate by. And when they mange to score a rare goal, its the 20000 fans that cheer.
Most of the people who get the game tickets is by buying them from different online buyers, or getting them from the company. I have been two 2 leafs games in last two years and it was cuz my uncle got them from his job. Apparently, they hold sumthing like a lottery but its only among a few people. Anwyays, not all 20000 actually buy the tickets. Atleast 12000-15000 is boguht by corporations.
Old 11-15-2009 at 12:04 PM   #145
Jake

Liked: 107 Times

I was at the game last night and We pretty much got OWNED.

...and I have a feeling Ben is going "Like This"

Old 11-15-2009 at 02:02 PM   #146
Infinity
Elite Member

Liked: 90 Times

god it was an awful game... but what can you expect against the flames... they are going to go far!
Old 11-15-2009 at 02:04 PM   #147
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

Quote:

I was thinking about it :p
Old 11-15-2009 at 07:29 PM   #148
chappy89

Liked: 149 Times

Quote:

we really didn't get OWNED... the leafs generally controlled the pace of the game, for the most part. We dominated them in scoring chances, but could not put the puck past kipper very often (who by the way played a phenomenal game). The flames did make the most of their chances, which is why we lost. to sum it up...
The score does not accurately depict the game

but in the end, the only stat that matters is who got the most goals...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinity View Post
god it was an awful game... but what can you expect against the flames... they are going to go far!
also, the flames are going to make the playoffs, and be eliminated in the conference quarterfinals... like the last 4 years.

Last edited by chappy89 : 11-15-2009 at 07:33 PM.
Old 11-15-2009 at 08:40 PM   #149
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by chappy89 View Post

also, the flames are going to make the playoffs, and be eliminated in the conference quarterfinals... like the last 4 years.
That's better than not making the playoffs.... like the past 4 years.

(It's like you were asking for it)
Old 11-15-2009 at 08:58 PM   #150
ice8

If you watched the game you know that Kipursoff won the Flames that game.

That game clearly showed that leafs have no offensive talent w/o Kaberle or Kessel. Why is Wallin even here??? He does nothing but float around. He was brought in to imporve defense especially for pk, and w our pk at 30th it doesnt seem hes doing much either.

Let him go, and bring up Hanson. e has been the best marlie player so far.