MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MSN Help Urgent Desda Computers & Tech 24 09-23-2010 11:39 AM
Offer Rescinded laiac First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 14 08-04-2010 01:36 PM
Going to visit McMaster today to speak about rescinded offer - who should I contact? california First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 13 07-21-2010 03:46 PM
McMaster just rescinded my offer.. what should i do now? california First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 25 07-19-2010 07:41 AM
McMaster Rescinded Offer???????!!!! MacRK101 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 20 07-16-2010 12:24 PM

Need urgent help - Offer rescinded

Old 07-25-2011 at 09:40 PM   #16
InvisoBill

Liked: 23 Times

lol there's so much formality... -___- Why don't universities just add a little wiggle room to prevent situations like this?
Old 07-25-2011 at 09:42 PM   #17
mcmastergcdb
Elite Member

Liked: 89 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by xiaoliu View Post
My mom is crying and it is adding on to my emotions. Not to put blame on my guidance counselor but she was the one that specifically told me it was fine. Now it isnt and i am paying the price.
Tell your mom to chill out! It's not a big deal. Let's say the worst scenerio: That you don't get into the university. You would still be able to get in next year. It's not end of the world. Tell your mom to stop crying and making stuff harder for the whole family lol. I am sorry if I am being a bit harsh, I can understand that your mom is upset, but crying doesn't help.

But it seems like a misunderstanding. there was a similar issue last week or so, she was re-permitted.
Old 07-25-2011 at 10:33 PM   #18
haley

Liked: 0 Times

I had the same thing happen to me, it turns out my school's computers had malfunctioned and the entire graduating class got letters like yours. I spoke to the registrar's office and they were quite understanding. hopefully everything works out!
Old 07-25-2011 at 10:35 PM   #19
xiaoliu

Liked: 7 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commie8507 View Post
Unfortunately we can't do anything. My suggestion is to stop emailing and come speak in person with the required documents proving you have taken 30 credits. If you do indeed have proof suggesting you have the required credits than they will make the required changes.
I went to the tdsb transcript place today and explained what happened and showed them the two report cards from my online virtual high school. They are making a new transcript now and going to give me a copy and fax one to mcmaster as well, but that may take up to 2 weeks and i dont want to take that risk..
Old 07-26-2011 at 04:50 PM   #20
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

I would take ALL the paperwork that you have and go directly to McMaster and explain your situation. Ask the TDSB if you can pick up your new transcripts in person (rather than faxing them), because it'll be faster. Tell them that time is important because you need to get them to Mac asap. Then take them straight to the Registrar's Office.

I think you'll be okay. You did everything you could, and it's not your fault that your transcripts were messed up. Just get all the documentation you can and go to Mac (maybe with a parent) to get it worked out. I suggest not wasting your time calling or emailing - people will just shuffle you around. Go in person and explain your situation.
Old 08-02-2011 at 09:14 AM   #21
xiaoliu

Well i went to the school multiple times and emailed olivia multiple times and she finally replied back

"Hello Xiao,1154085
I have received your phone message as well.
Your offer has already been officially rescinded so all your courses have been cancelled. If you had a space in on-campus housing, that space has been cancelled and you will receive a full refund.
If you are able to provide official documentation that you have completed your OSSD by June 30, 2011, then we would submit an appeal for re-consideration to the Senior Director, Admissions at that time (the email you sent me is not considered official and does not indicate that your OSSD has been decreed).
If the Senior Director agrees to allow you to register for your courses again for September 2011, we would still not have an on-campus bed for you as Residence is full.
You must keep this in mind before you submit an appeal and then you may decide to check the OUAC website to determine which other Ontario universities are still accepting students and have on-campus housing.

Kind Regards,

Olivia Demerling"

what do i do now? because right now i am pissed off. my guidance counsellor said everything would be fine and i am getting ****ed over for it. Not to mention my friend whose going to ivey has the same problem as me and his offer wasn't rescinded, he just need to prove his ossd status asap.

I also brought the paper work to olivia the other day when i went to see her. Brought the 2 report cards from vhs, brought all my other report cards, etc.

Last edited by xiaoliu : 08-02-2011 at 09:24 AM.
Old 08-02-2011 at 10:02 AM   #22
MacAttk

Liked: 38 Times

Well, as long as you provide the necessary paperwork, it looks like you'll probably get back in. As for rez, that sucks but off-campus is a great alternative and a much cheaper one as well.
Old 08-02-2011 at 10:09 AM   #23
xiaoliu

i just got off the phone with her and she said when i have my official transcript ready i can fax them an appeal....

i am just extremely pissed off right now because my guidance counsellor and high school office told me that it wouldn't be a problem and to show them the report card of my virtual high school in late august, otherwise i would of dealt with it way earlier before the rescindment.

But first year res is the most important, thats where you meet people and start your social life

Not to mention my friend who took vhs with me has the same ossd problem with ivey and they didnt rescind his status.

What should i do now? would there be any point in me going to mac again and talking to the dean or someone higher than an admission officier?
Old 08-02-2011 at 10:16 AM   #24
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 461 Times

Quote:
i just got off the phone with her and she said when i have my official transcript ready i can fax them an appeal....

i am just extremely pissed off right now because my guidance counsellor and high school office told me that it wouldn't be a problem and to show them the report card of my virtual high school in late august, otherwise i would of dealt with it way earlier before the rescindment.

But first year res is the most important, thats where you meet people and start your social life

Not to mention my friend who took vhs with me has the same ossd problem with ivey and they didnt rescind his status.

What should i do now? would there be any point in me going to mac again and talking to the dean or someone higher than an admission officier?
I obviously haven't gone to university yet, but I'm quite sure that if you don't leave on residence you can still make several new friends and 'start your social life' if you haven't done so already. You just have to put yourself out there and join clubs, a sports team perhaps or something of that sort. If you can still come to McMaster (which you hopefully can) I would say still come if they accept your appeal letter.
Old 08-02-2011 at 10:23 AM   #25
chelseac

Liked: 0 Times

wow that sucks.
Old 08-02-2011 at 10:26 AM   #26
xiaoliu

obviously you can still have a social life, but its just harder...

**** this whole process is pissing me off... should i go talk to higher authority or wait until the transcripts ready?
Old 08-02-2011 at 11:06 AM   #27
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Liked: 553 Times

Gather up all the necessary paperwork showing you had 30 credits, and also bring your report card(s) or whatever you had showing the 28 credits (i.e., the one with the mistake).

You may want to print out any email communication you've received with anyone from McMaster or your guidance counsellor if applicable.

Go to McMaster, I'm not really sure where to go - maybe Gilmour Hall? Someone can give you a better idea, but anyway, when you're there and talking to someone:

Explain that A) you ALWAYS had 30 credits, you were NEVER in jeopardy of having too few courses for McMaster
B) The transcript that was given to McMaster had a mistake which you had NO control over
C) Show them the emails and say I've repeatedly tried communicating with McMaster to rectify the situation but no one seems to know what they're doing
D) Your offer should not be rescinded - you should have as much of a right to go to this school as anyone else because you had never done anything jeopardizing your offer such as taking too few courses
E) Tell them you'd like the same privileges that any accepted McMaster student should deserve
F) If their residence is overbooked, that's not really your fault, and you should get the same package ($1000 + guaranteed residence second year I believe it is) as anyone who chose to elect out of residence.

Obviously say it in a nicer and more eloquent way, and try not to back down at this point, because it seems like you were trying to stay on top of this from the beginning. Explain that you had no control over the mistake, and you used whatever means necessary to ensure it wouldn't affect your eligibility at this school, and that it's McMaster who is rescinding your offer for no reason, rather than you messing something up.

EDIT: Also regarding the appeal, if they tell you to make one, explain that you aren't someone who failed to do the necessary things to gain entrance and you want a second chance. Tell them that you're someone whose offer was unfairly rescinded, and you should not be forced to file an appeal with the tons of students who actually didn't keep their avg up, or didn't take a full course load or whatever is required. Focus on the fact that you AREN'T like the other students who messed something up and they're trying to get back in.

Note that if you file an appeal you're basically sitting waiting for McMaster to "re-accept" you which they will likely do, but it would be easier to get it done in person and immediately or at least as soon as possible.

Last edited by Alchemist11 : 08-02-2011 at 11:10 AM.

Biochem47, britb, chelseac like this.
Old 08-02-2011 at 12:22 PM   #28
j0sh

Liked: 4 Times

Quote:

Sorry to hear about all this, it's probably really rough on you and I hope things work out. About the res thing, they had enough problems assigning students rooms anyways. I was put in a triple bunk-and-loft because there weren't enough rooms on campus. Apparently McMaster has been a top-choice this year among students and this is the biggest first year to ever enter Mac. They're having problems with seats for classes and residence. That's probably the reason they're being really hard on allowing you back so don't take it personally. I do hope things work out for you though and I'd love to give your guidance counsellor a piece of my mind -__-
Old 08-02-2011 at 01:25 PM   #29
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

I would print out Alchemist's last post and follow it to the letter. Bring your mom or dad or someone, just in case, they tend to brush off first years.

Alchemist11 likes this.
Old 08-02-2011 at 01:37 PM   #30
Chevalier
Elite Member

Liked: 203 Times

umm as to what birtb said...id probably want to bring ur dad, ur mom doesn't sound like shes completely stable and sound about the situation. ( it wouldn't be in your favour if you mom breaks down in the middle of the convo)