Medphys 1E03 Opinions/Reviews Unknown111 Academics 2 06-13-2010 06:33 PM
Opinions about Psych 1XX3 gcruz91 Academics 5 12-29-2009 07:43 PM

Opinions on the strike

Old 11-04-2009 at 03:08 PM   #46
Andrea F.

Liked: 0 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
Having broken my ankle the day the strike started is a pain in the ass. I have to park off campus and crutch in, instead of using a handicapped spot. Hospital parking lot to student center takes me 30 minutes or so, and the rerouting of buses completely screws me. I'm going to raise hell next time I have to go to campus.

Phil,

I'm Andrea Farquhar, the director of Public Relations at McMaster. Sorry to hear about your ankle. If you contact Terry Sullivan in parking he will be able to help. His email is [email protected] I've given him a heads up that you'll be in touch.
Old 11-04-2009 at 04:11 PM   #47
McBean

Liked: Liked 4 Times

This is my humble opinion on the strike, but mostly just education in general at Mac this semester...it might sound a bit self-serving (but I think that`s fitting since Mac and CUPE aren`t looking out for my best interests, so someone has to!), but it might resonate with some other undergrads who take their education seriously. Here`s my little rant...

I used to be proud to be a Mac student and I enjoyed and appreciated the education I was paying for. This is my very last semester of undergrad at Mac, and the way it has progressed has nearly cancelled out any positive feelings I would have hoped to take away with me in December. When students are subject to a tuition increase, I strongly believe that it is unacceptable to let the quality of education decline. At least maintain the same level of quality that we had before if it`s not possible to make things better for us as undergrads, but certainly don`t let it go downhill. We pay too much money to deal with the fact that Mac simply doesn`t have their act together right now...whether it be potential support worker strikes in September, ongoing issues with ELM so that students can`t access important course materials for their tests, etc. or an actual strike going down in Oct. and Nov.

I know that both the university administration and CUPE have valid points (and some very ridiculous points as well) - but to be honest, I don`t care. Just figure it out because students are being affected - INNOCENT, HARDWORKING, TUITION-PAYING students!

I wholeheartedly resent that I have several tutorial presentations scheduled for next week (as well as 3 midterms that are still on for sure), but that I can`t even find out whether or not I will be evaluated on these on the actual dates I was told. If I spend time working on these tutorial assignments and then the strike doesn`t end before my presentation dates, I will be seriously pissed that I didn`t just put them aside to focus on my 3 exams. It`s also not fair that we don`t have the option to see our TAs for advice on these assignments, yet we are still expected to be able to produce the same quality papers (or better) than when we did have the option to get help with our writing earlier in the semester. I don`t hold the TAs responsible for this - my TAs really emphasized how much they didn`t want to do this to us - but the simple fact remains that it`s still happening, and students are still be screwed over. I despise the fact that it has been made more difficult for me to maintain my average that I`ve worked hard for all these years at Mac (and right before I apply for grad studies) just because of the actions of others - thanks Mac, thanks CUPE....you kind of suck

BlakeM, lawleypop, talues, Taunton like this.
Old 11-04-2009 at 04:37 PM   #48
ayinaim

Liked: 6 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrea F. View Post
Phil,

I'm Andrea Farquhar, the director of Public Relations at McMaster. Sorry to hear about your ankle. If you contact Terry Sullivan in parking he will be able to help. His email is sullivan(at)mcmaster. ca I've given him a heads up that you'll be in touch.
Looks like the university admin does monitor this forum and would know for sure that the strike (not necessarily the union) is very unpopular among the students and TAs alike. I guess it makes it harder for the union when they know they're not just sticking it to the man, but also to the innocent students.
Old 11-04-2009 at 04:43 PM   #49
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

See, my idea of sticking it to the man is smoking a big fat blunt at the marijuana march.

not walking around in circles listening to rihanna.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 11-04-2009 at 04:45 PM   #50
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
not walking around in circles listening to rihanna.
LOL

We should compare the cupies to other mindless things that go in circles.
Old 11-04-2009 at 04:45 PM   #51
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBean View Post
This is my humble opinion on the strike, but mostly just education in general at Mac this semester...it might sound a bit self-serving (but I think that`s fitting since Mac and CUPE aren`t looking out for my best interests, so someone has to!), but it might resonate with some other undergrads who take their education seriously. Here`s my little rant...

I used to be proud to be a Mac student and I enjoyed and appreciated the education I was paying for. This is my very last semester of undergrad at Mac, and the way it has progressed has nearly cancelled out any positive feelings I would have hoped to take away with me in December. When students are subject to a tuition increase, I strongly believe that it is unacceptable to let the quality of education decline. At least maintain the same level of quality that we had before if it`s not possible to make things better for us as undergrads, but certainly don`t let it go downhill. We pay too much money to deal with the fact that Mac simply doesn`t have their act together right now...whether it be potential support worker strikes in September, ongoing issues with ELM so that students can`t access important course materials for their tests, etc. or an actual strike going down in Oct. and Nov.

I know that both the university administration and CUPE have valid points (and some very ridiculous points as well) - but to be honest, I don`t care. Just figure it out because students are being affected - INNOCENT, HARDWORKING, TUITION-PAYING students!

I wholeheartedly resent that I have several tutorial presentations scheduled for next week (as well as 3 midterms that are still on for sure), but that I can`t even find out whether or not I will be evaluated on these on the actual dates I was told. If I spend time working on these tutorial assignments and then the strike doesn`t end before my presentation dates, I will be seriously pissed that I didn`t just put them aside to focus on my 3 exams. It`s also not fair that we don`t have the option to see our TAs for advice on these assignments, yet we are still expected to be able to produce the same quality papers (or better) than when we did have the option to get help with our writing earlier in the semester. I don`t hold the TAs responsible for this - my TAs really emphasized how much they didn`t want to do this to us - but the simple fact remains that it`s still happening, and students are still be screwed over. I despise the fact that it has been made more difficult for me to maintain my average that I`ve worked hard for all these years at Mac (and right before I apply for grad studies) just because of the actions of others - thanks Mac, thanks CUPE....you kind of suck

There's nothing wrong with being "selfish" about your education. You pay to go to Mac, you have a right to be pissed that your education is being hindered. Don't feel bad!!

Taunton likes this.
Old 11-04-2009 at 04:46 PM   #52
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBean View Post
I realize this sounds snide (and I don't mean it to be) but...where is your prof in all of this? Should they not be thinking up a plan B?

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 11-04-2009 at 04:46 PM   #53
Taunton
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy2 View Post
There's nothing wrong with being "selfish" about your education. You pay to go to Mac, you have a right to be pissed that your education is being hindered. Don't feel bad!!
Agreed. We're paying for a service and we deserve that service.
Old 11-04-2009 at 04:47 PM   #54
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taunton View Post
LOL

We should compare the cupies to other mindless things that go in circles.
I think I'm missing something.
Like what? XD

Old 11-04-2009 at 04:51 PM   #55
Taunton
Elite Member

Quote:
I think I'm missing something.
Like what? XD
umm... like when you pull off a few of an insect's legs, they can go mindlessly in circles.

Or a malfunctioning robot.... lol I dunno, it was funny when I thought about it.

I mean come on... aimless circle walking? :p
Old 11-04-2009 at 04:55 PM   #56
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Quote:
umm... like when you pull off a few of an insect's legs, they can go mindlessly in circles.

Or a malfunctioning robot.... lol I dunno, it was funny when I thought about it.

I mean come on... aimless circle walking? :p
OH MY GOD, THAT INSECT THING IS HORRIBLE. >______________<

Honestly, if I was out there picketing... I'd feel so stupid.

I like to think I'd do anything for money, but...walking around in circles pretending I'm accomplishing something? not4me.

Old 11-04-2009 at 04:57 PM   #57
Taunton
Elite Member

Quote:
OH MY GOD, THAT INSECT THING IS HORRIBLE. >______________<

Honestly, if I was out there picketing... I'd feel so stupid.

I like to think I'd do anything for money, but...walking around in circles pretending I'm accomplishing something? not4me.
Haha yeah, I agree with the feeling stupid thing.

And I didn't really mean anything by the insect thing... I haven't purposely done something like that since I was a little kid... just trying to put my thoughts to paper if you will.
Old 11-04-2009 at 05:01 PM   #58
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Quote:
Haha yeah, I agree with the feeling stupid thing.

And I didn't really mean anything by the insect thing... I haven't purposely done something like that since I was a little kid... just trying to put my thoughts to paper if you will.
No, I know. It just made me so sad as soon as I read it. I got the worst mental image, lmao.

[yes, I can be sad. D: ]

Old 11-04-2009 at 06:12 PM   #59
arathbon
Elite Member

Liked: 307 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene View Post
Hi Kathy,

Just to address a few points you have raised and hopefully to clear the air a little.

To bridge the standpoint on the union side and the people affected by the picketing, I can say with certainty that a lot of the people picketing did not want the bargaining to end up with a strike. Fact of the matter is the employer walked away from the bargaining table when the union was willing to negotiate through the weekend in attempt to reach an agreement or at least a tentative agreement before the strike deadline to avert the strike.

The CUPE did call a strike mandate vote in late summer/early fall. They would not have been able to go forward with it without the vote results of the members.

Overall, there must have been over 200 picketers if not more, with a small crowd at the North Cootes entrance, a bigger crowd at the South Cootes entrance, and a sizeable crowd of upwards of 40, 50 people on Stirling. Naturally the pickets are not out there constantly, and at any given time the crowd size does not represent the entire force of the pickets due to the shift system.

Also, at a special general membership meeting held on Sunday, 66% of the members expressed no interest in sending the current offer forward.

That said, majority of the TA's picketing do enjoy TAing and do realize the students are the victim of the strike. The original intention of a strike mandate vote and a (generous) strike deadline was to set an incentive for the employer to come to the table to bargain in good faith. I can say, with full honest, that CUPE HAD been the enthused side with approaching the bargaining table.

I realize a measly post will probably not change many of your opinions and may be inconsequential, but I feel that the facts and the truths should at least be made aware to those that care.
Im surprised at the numbers you state for picketers. Were there REALLY that many? They really didn't look like that many. How many were sympathetic members of other unions, students and professors vs. TA's and RA's?
Old 11-04-2009 at 06:16 PM   #60
Taunton
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arathbon View Post
Im surprised at the numbers you state for picketers. Were there REALLY that many? They really didn't look like that many. How many were sympathetic members of other unions, students and professors vs. TA's and RA's?
There might be a hundred or so actual union members (ie TA's + RA's) picketing over the course of the day, across all of the sites (probably less though).

In order for a union of this size to have what should be considered a strong picket/strike, hundreds of people should be at each site at a time.

This is a very weak strike.

Last edited by Taunton : 11-04-2009 at 06:19 PM.