Medphys 1E03 Opinions/Reviews Unknown111 Academics 2 06-13-2010 06:33 PM
Opinions about Psych 1XX3 gcruz91 Academics 5 12-29-2009 07:43 PM

Opinions on the strike

Old 11-04-2009 at 06:18 PM   #61
kleung

Liked: 57 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taunton View Post
There might be a hundred or so actual union members (ie TA's + RA's) picketing over the course of the day, across all of the sites.

In order for a union of this size to have what should be considered a strong picket/strike, hundreds of people should be at each site at a time.

This is a very weak strike.

I think in the interest of safety, they limited it to a maximum of 50 people per site per shift. However, from what I've seen, even those numbers haven't exactly been filled.

FYI, CUPE has called a ratification vote for Sunday & Monday on the latest contract. I encourage all TAs and RAs to go vote!

http://unit1bargaining.wordp ress.c...ct-this-offer/

AYuen, Maegs, Taunton all say thanks to kleung for this post.

AYuen, Taunton like this.
Old 11-04-2009 at 06:19 PM   #62
arathbon
Elite Member

Liked: 307 Times

I'd also like to remind people about the implications of being rude to picketers. If your rudeness provokes a fight or is seen as likely to, you could potentially be charged with Breaking the Peace.

It happened in Caledonia to individuals who attempted to raise a flag across from the site of the native occupation.

In other words, even if an action is legal, if doing it is likely to cause a fight or a riot you could be potentially charged.

Disclaimer: I'm not a lawyer and this isn't legal advice.
Old 11-04-2009 at 06:21 PM   #63
arathbon
Elite Member

Liked: 307 Times

Quote:
There might be a hundred or so actual union members (ie TA's + RA's) picketing over the course of the day, across all of the sites (probably less though).

In order for a union of this size to have what should be considered a strong picket/strike, hundreds of people should be at each site at a time.

This is a very weak strike.
Far cry from 200 at Cootes and 50 at Sterling. Who do they think they're kidding?

Taunton likes this.
Old 11-04-2009 at 06:22 PM   #64
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

The language in that article is disgustingly biased... it makes me wince :S.

kleung likes this.
Old 11-04-2009 at 06:26 PM   #65
kleung

Liked: 57 Times

Quote:
The language in that article is disgustingly biased... it makes me wince :S.

Allow me to clip the most important parts for anyone who doesn't read the whole thing.

Quote:
The vote will begin on Sunday night following a membership meeting at the Hamilton Convention Centre and continuing through Monday from 10am-5pm at the union’s strike office. Picket lines will remain up through that time.

Kathy2, Taunton all say thanks to kleung for this post.

Taunton likes this.
Old 11-04-2009 at 06:27 PM   #66
talues

Liked: 21 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by kleung View Post
I think in the interest of safety, they limited it to a maximum of 50 people per site per shift. However, from what I've seen, even those numbers haven't exactly been filled.

FYI, CUPE has called a ratification vote for Sunday & Monday on the latest contract. I encourage all TAs and RAs to go vote!

http://unit1bargaining.wordp ress.c...ct-this-offer/
Well, it looks like everyone is about to find out whether or not most of the TAs support the strike/the contract. While I feel the university HAS engaged in bully tactics (something I've said since the beginning) the process of this vote will be democratic and as such I will have to accept the outcome regardless of what it is.

As for being worded pro-union: Well duh! Would the union conduct interviews displaying anti-union sentiments? The same goes for the universities press releases: It's ALL biased!
Old 11-04-2009 at 06:29 PM   #67
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

"“We are the backbone of quality education at this university,”"

LOL.

I spewed out my drink. ._.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Taunton likes this.
Old 11-04-2009 at 06:31 PM   #68
andrew22
Account Locked

Liked: 238 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post

LOL.

they are the people who mark nearly everything you do... and help you with most questions right?
Old 11-04-2009 at 06:31 PM   #69
Taunton
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by talues View Post

As for being worded pro-union: Well duh! Would the union conduct interviews displaying anti-union sentiments? The same goes for the universities press releases: It's ALL biased!
Of course! What I mean to say is that this article is especially biased... like they went so far out of their way that what it says is (almost) ridiculous.
Old 11-04-2009 at 06:33 PM   #70
Taunton
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew22 View Post
they are the people who mark nearly everything you do... and help you with most questions right?
Nobody is questioning the importance of TA's. The "backbone" of quality education though? That might be taking it a little far... just my opinion though. My entire education hasn't been the result of my TA's, that's for sure.
Old 11-04-2009 at 06:39 PM   #71
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew22 View Post
Oh, I'm not denying that. But exactly what Taunton said.

As someone said in a (different?) thread, a lot of tutorials are still running.

Backbone? Maybe not. And certainly not the TA's I've had.

Old 11-04-2009 at 06:39 PM   #72
talues

Liked: 21 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post

LOL.

Have you ever sat back and wondered what effect your lack of respect towards others could have upon your life? Throughout many of your posts you have shown a huge lack of respect towards authority (such as the police), towards the union, towards TAs: In general, you seem to lack respect for anyone or anything.

Seeing as this is a public forum, there is a chance that, say, a potential future employer stumbles upon some of your posts, reads then, and decides to not provide you with an employment opportunity due to some of the things you have said during this entire debate.

And don't get into the whole "Well CUPE doesn't respect anyone" crap either. If CUPE robbed a bank, would that give you the right to rob a bank? Surely you think that two wrongs do not make a right, but only one giant wrong?

If you truly want to have an informative discussion on the current situation with me, then I would gladly find the time to sit down and have a friendly exchange with you.

hope13 says thanks to talues for this post.
Old 11-04-2009 at 06:42 PM   #73
Taunton
Elite Member

Quote:
Have you ever sat back and wondered what effect your lack of respect towards others could have upon your life? Throughout many of your posts you have shown a huge lack of respect towards authority (such as the police), towards the union, towards TAs: In general, you seem to lack respect for anyone or anything.

Seeing as this is a public forum, there is a chance that, say, a potential future employer stumbles upon some of your posts, reads then, and decides to not provide you with an employment opportunity due to some of the things you have said during this entire debate.

And don't get into the whole "Well CUPE doesn't respect anyone" crap either. If CUPE robbed a bank, would that give you the right to rob a bank? Surely you think that two wrongs do not make a right, but only one giant wrong?

If you truly want to have an informative discussion on the current situation with me, then I would gladly find the time to sit down and have a friendly exchange with you.
Uh oh... you REALLY don't know Lawley.

lawleypop likes this.
Old 11-04-2009 at 06:42 PM   #74
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Quote:

1) Correct. I don't respect much. Very astute of you.
2) Don't ever plan on working a day in my life. And even if I did, omgawdz look I can delete my account slash take off all my information?!?!
3) Wasn't going to, but thanks for putting words in my mouth!
4) 'grats on taking my posts seriously. If it isn't obvious which one of my posts are purposely trying to get people riled up, then maybe you lack some reading comprehension skillz.

Quote:
Uh oh... you REALLY don't know Lawley.

CAN I LIKE THIS OVER 9000 TIMES?
LMAOMADEMELOL.ILU.

Last edited by lawleypop : 11-04-2009 at 06:45 PM.

Taunton likes this.
Old 11-04-2009
lawleypop
This message has been removed by a moderator. .