MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Protest the McMaster Fridge Policy bcars MacInsiders Announcements 7 08-01-2010 05:42 PM
G20 Protest in Toronto goes out of hand Bobby66 MacInsiders Announcements 121 06-28-2010 09:31 AM
G20 Protest in Toronto follows Sunday Bobby66 General Discussion 6 06-28-2010 12:02 AM
ELM protest .. kind of Kathy2 Computers & Tech 39 01-22-2010 09:16 PM

Protesting the Protest!

Old 11-03-2009 at 03:22 PM   #16
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Oh wow, I effing love this.

I was actually thinking of like, going out with myguitar and just serenading the people in cars. XD Give them some entertainment.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

micadjems, sinthusized like this.
Old 11-03-2009 at 05:41 PM   #17
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Someone should make a really big sign that says "CUPE'S ROAD BLOCKS CAUSE AMBULANCE DELAYS"

Please please please let me know when you guys are going back out. I will be there for sure.
Old 11-03-2009 at 06:28 PM   #18
talues

Liked: 21 Times

Lol, I have to admit that protesting the protest is kinda clever... but someone is right in that you will be helping the picketers be more noticeable and raise more awarness, which is the goal of picketing... That being said, there isn't anything preventing people from doing this!

On another note, doesn't protesting the protest seem a bit... just saying!
Old 11-03-2009 at 07:03 PM   #19
Rossclot

Liked: 137 Times

I have wanted to just get a bunch of people to block the protesters ability to block cars. Like if they are going to get in the way of the cars, we could get in the way of them getting in the way of the cars.

I would like to get some of those official CUPE signs and write things like "Yeah we are bullies, get used to it!"(I know I am riding the balls of a previous sign), or "Just give us the money and no one gets hurt..."(I know it isnt just about wages). or "Taking Students Hostage since 02 NOV 09!". Actually that last one would make a good T-shirt. If the strike lasts a while and bungs things up, and we have a strike pub crawl... I think we might have a candidate for the shirt slogan!

And as far as "us protesting them only adds to their strength", I cant possibly disagree more. It makes the students outrage at what is happening noticeable. If there is any media there they wouldnt even look at the TA protest because students protesting the protest would easily make the evening news. It would be quite the blow to the union if their members thought people actually supported the big bad university.

As an aside:
That is one of the big things stopping me from applying to be a frosh controller. How can I show spirit for a school that is essentially the monster under the bed, the monster in the closet, Dracula and a greedy business all at the same time. Shame too, the modifications I would have made to a red suit would explode your brain from your skull, collect the pieces, put them in a blender with some ice and then pour it back into your skull, so you could get chills while your mind is being blown. Seriously.
Old 11-03-2009 at 07:56 PM   #20
Scrub
Original "G"

Liked: 57 Times

so due to complaints from CUPE picketers and complaints from my CA...I and the rest of the 3rd floor Keyes crew have officially been forced to remove those signs we had up...its apparently against the" decoration policy" in the residence rules/regulations..sucks dont it? we are not allowed to protest the strike, but they are allowed to block traffic, throw trash on the grass infront of Keyes, cause cars to idle, and blast music toward a students residence and we cany put up signs in a time lke this? wooow...soorry guys i had it up aslong as I could
Old 11-03-2009 at 07:58 PM   #21
Flag

Liked: 35 Times

Did you get a picture of the signs, at least?

Or could you describe them... I didn't see them...
Old 11-03-2009 at 08:02 PM   #22
Scrub
Original "G"

Liked: 57 Times

umm no pictures hhaha..we had 4 signs...

1) CUPE GET BACK TO WORK YOU BUMS
2)Honk if you hate strikes( to counter CUPES honk sign)
3)CUPE Ruined MAC
4)CUPE=FAIL

Those were all the signs we had up....but we had plans for grander/edgier signs that would have gotten even more attention..

I'll try to keep them up until tomorrow afternoon so someone can get pictures of them...hopefully my CA doesnt write me up for that haha..FIGHT THE POWER!
Old 11-03-2009 at 08:07 PM   #23
Afzal
Android Dev

Liked: 416 Times

please post the time for tomorrow
Old 11-03-2009 at 08:17 PM   #24
andrew22
Account Locked

Liked: 238 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrub View Post
umm no pictures hhaha..we had 4 signs...

1) CUPE GET BACK TO WORK YOU BUMS
2)Honk if you hate strikes( to counter CUPES honk sign)
3)CUPE Ruined MAC
4)CUPE=FAIL

Those were all the signs we had up....but we had plans for grander/edgier signs that would have gotten even more attention..

I'll try to keep them up until tomorrow afternoon so someone can get pictures of them...hopefully my CA doesnt write me up for that haha..FIGHT THE POWER!
oh wow, not really very impressive. I'm not sure if you are really helping or hurting your cause
Old 11-03-2009 at 08:23 PM   #25
Kathy2
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrub View Post
so due to complaints from CUPE picketers and complaints from my CA...I and the rest of the 3rd floor Keyes crew have officially been forced to remove those signs we had up...its apparently against the" decoration policy" in the residence rules/regulations..sucks dont it? we are not allowed to protest the strike, but they are allowed to block traffic, throw trash on the grass infront of Keyes, cause cars to idle, and blast music toward a students residence and we cany put up signs in a time lke this? wooow...soorry guys i had it up aslong as I could
That's BS. CUPE can hold up cars, block traffic for hours and cause ambulance delays but you can't put a sign in your own window that you pay for??

Please go to your CA and complain about their music!!
Old 11-03-2009 at 08:44 PM   #26
Flag

Liked: 35 Times

Is this actually causing ambulance delays?
Old 11-03-2009 at 08:57 PM   #27
Kathy2
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flag View Post
Is this actually causing ambulance delays?
Someone on another thread an ambulance had to go around the long line at Cootes Drive and it took more time than it would have needed to if there wasn't strike.

I'll see if I can find the thread and post it here.

(But even just think about it. What if someone on Sterling Street near the university needed an ambulance or fire truck? It would be pretty tricky for them to get in there)
Old 11-03-2009 at 09:10 PM   #28
micadjems
Awesome Member

Liked: 382 Times

1. One of my profs told me today that if you hear their music being too loud to call campus security - they will deal with it

2. Thats BS about your rez signs, I would put them back up and cite free speech. (IMO as long as you're not being racist/sexist/swearing or being ridiculously harsh, it's fine!)

3. People know the strike is happening, and they're happy to see someone is retaliating (based on the reactions I got today)

4. I think you could still be a rep, even though you dislike the corporate monster side of things - you can promote the parts you like!! You're here for a reason
Old 11-03-2009 at 09:31 PM   #29
talues

Liked: 21 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossclot View Post
I have wanted to just get a bunch of people to block the protesters ability to block cars. Like if they are going to get in the way of the cars, we could get in the way of them getting in the way of the cars.

I would like to get some of those official CUPE signs and write things like "Yeah we are bullies, get used to it!"(I know I am riding the balls of a previous sign), or "Just give us the money and no one gets hurt..."(I know it isnt just about wages). or "Taking Students Hostage since 02 NOV 09!". Actually that last one would make a good T-shirt. If the strike lasts a while and bungs things up, and we have a strike pub crawl... I think we might have a candidate for the shirt slogan!

And as far as "us protesting them only adds to their strength", I cant possibly disagree more. It makes the students outrage at what is happening noticeable. If there is any media there they wouldnt even look at the TA protest because students protesting the protest would easily make the evening news. It would be quite the blow to the union if their members thought people actually supported the big bad university.

As an aside:
That is one of the big things stopping me from applying to be a frosh controller. How can I show spirit for a school that is essentially the monster under the bed, the monster in the closet, Dracula and a greedy business all at the same time. Shame too, the modifications I would have made to a red suit would explode your brain from your skull, collect the pieces, put them in a blender with some ice and then pour it back into your skull, so you could get chills while your mind is being blown. Seriously.
What I don't understand is how all of this is only CUPEs fault. What is basically being said is that both sides inability to reach a fair contractual agreement is entirely due to CUPE, and that we should just accept whatever the university is offering us. Sure, most of you agree that the deal is more then fair, and that we should shut up and live with it because hey, it looks pretty sweet to you!

TAs that are opposed to the contract and support the strike are not bad people. They do not want to be out there and they are not out to get all you undergrads/grads who do not support the strike. Many of them have expressed remorse in their decision to strike purely on the basis that it affects the undergrads, and are really hopeful that a fair deal can be reached so that the strike can be called off. But many feel that the university has treated us unfairly to the point that they have been left with little choice but to strike.

And yes, blocking traffic sucks for everyone, but unfortunately it does get the message across very well (no matter how many people agree/disagree with it). Do you think the university would give two shits if picketers merely stood on the sidewalk and held up signs? And these methods are to a point unfair to many of you, but the university has been engaging in some very greasy activities. Do you think the university actually cares for the undergrads? Surely you cannot believe that they (along with CUPE) are not trying to hold the undergrads hostage?

And hey, I'm not saying CUPE and the picketers are necessarily right or wrong. I think both sides could use some much needed improvement in both their methods and their attitudes. I'm saying that maybe you guys should step back for a second, and understand what the decision to strike/picket means to those who do it. While I'm not picketing, my decision to support the strike has left me with some potential serious financial burden to deal with in the near future, and not only am I not the only one but there are many who must make bigger sacrifices then me. The university is trying to bully us into a contract, and are trying to spin the story such that the striking TAs are this evil entity trying to rob you of your education.

That being said, I did want to point out one thing. It is illegal to block pedestrian traffic. You would be hard pressed to "block the picketers from blocking cars" as this may not only create conflict, but it could also potentially get you arrested. If you wish to protest the protesters, do so within the law as the picketers are currently doing.

In closing, just because somebody's beliefs don't line up with yours does not mean you cannot respect their beliefs.

Eugene, hope13, Mowicz all say thanks to talues for this post.

Old 11-03-2009 at 09:38 PM   #30
DannyV
Elite Member

Liked: 207 Times

That last line there, talues, you should distribute that to all CUPE members, especially those calling people scabs.

manu, micadjems, Taunton like this.