MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Protest the McMaster Fridge Policy bcars MacInsiders Announcements 7 08-01-2010 05:42 PM
G20 Protest in Toronto goes out of hand Bobby66 MacInsiders Announcements 121 06-28-2010 09:31 AM
G20 Protest in Toronto follows Sunday Bobby66 General Discussion 6 06-28-2010 12:02 AM
ELM protest .. kind of Kathy2 Computers & Tech 39 01-22-2010 09:16 PM

Protesting the Protest!

Old 11-03-2009 at 11:48 PM   #46
deadpool
X-Man

Liked: 394 Times

We can get kicked off for breaking the laws of it. Unfortunately, a legal protest doesn't count as it's protected by law.
Old 11-03-2009 at 11:49 PM   #47
andrew22
Account Locked

Liked: 238 Times

im pretty sure if they tell us to leave we have to - doesnt matter if you broke a law or not
Old 11-03-2009 at 11:51 PM   #48
Scrub
Original "G"

Liked: 57 Times

im gonna go find me a copy of the residence code of conduct..time to wake up my CA at an odd hour..woooo!
Old 11-03-2009 at 11:51 PM   #49
andrew22
Account Locked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrub View Post
im gonna go find me a copy of the residence code of conduct..time to wake up my CA at an odd hour..woooo!
oh god you are one of those students huh? lol
Old 11-03-2009 at 11:53 PM   #50
temara.brown
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 352 Times

It's right here! http://www.mcmaster.ca/univsec/policy/ResidenceCode.pdf
This tells you that it's only a minor to break the decor/aesthetics policy
Old 11-03-2009 at 11:55 PM   #51
andrew22
Account Locked

I always wonder: Is the university ever scared that they will completely lose control? with all these thousands of students around and all. Chaos could potentially happen if the students decided right?
Old 11-04-2009 at 12:10 AM   #52
Eugene

Liked: 6 Times

I can say with certainty that a lot of the CUPE members out there picketing did not want to go on strike, and it's unfortunate that it's come to this. But the fact of the matter is that it had happened, and the best way for us (the union and its members) to be put on the radar is to be out there picketing and showing our resolve.

While for some of you it may be getting a kick out of being disruptive, for many of the CUPE members they are fighting for their livelihood. A lot of us are just scarping by with our current pay as is. With the tuition hike and the offer that is currently on the table, some members are looking at losing 2 rents a year if not worse.

It's interesting that the members standing up for themselves is being seen as the ones on the bullying end. Bare in mind that the union bargaining team also was ready to bargain through the weekend when it was already a 49-hour bargaining marathon, and it was the employer that left the bargaining table instead of trying to reach a tentative agreement to avert a strike.

Re: the loudness being disruptive to your sleep. Conflicts aren't resolved by creating more conflicts.

Re: Ambulance entrance to the school: the picketing protocol, established by both the employer and the union, as well as the Hamilton Police, is fairly specific and rigorous. One of the item ensures that ambulance entrance will not be an issue.

andrew22, talues all say thanks to Eugene for this post.
Old 11-04-2009 at 12:31 AM   #53
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Yea, fighting for livelihood.

I eat cereal twice a day if I'm REALLY hungry and feeling generous to myself.
You wanna talk about being poor? Wanna talk about fighting for livelihood?

Let's talk.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 11-04-2009 at 12:31 AM   #54
Scrub
Original "G"

just to be clear..i am not protesting the idealogies or the politics of CUPE or the reasons for the strike..I am just against the idea of them disrupting student life like mine..and blatantly taking us students hostage during this whole thing..a little consideration for students is all I ask..bicker about all your issues on your own turf not infront of where I try to sleep

Taunton likes this.
Old 11-04-2009 at 12:32 AM   #55
andrew22
Account Locked

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
Yea, fighting for livelihood.

I eat cereal twice a day if I'm REALLY hungry and feeling generous to myself.
You wanna talk about being poor? Wanna talk about fighting for livelihood?

Let's talk.
University should be 100% free for every Canadian citizen and permanent resident. (:

hope13 likes this.
Old 11-04-2009 at 12:34 AM   #56
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew22 View Post
University should be 100% free for every Canadian citizen and permanent resident. (:
Judging from your other posts, I have NO idea if this is sarcastic or not... o_o

If it isn't: -likes-

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 11-04-2009 at 12:38 AM   #57
deadpool
X-Man

Liked: 394 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrub View Post
just to be clear..i am not protesting the idealogies or the politics of CUPE or the reasons for the strike..I am just against the idea of them disrupting student life like mine..and blatantly taking us students hostage during this whole thing..a little consideration for students is all I ask..bicker about all your issues on your own turf not infront of where I try to sleep
Okay. I need you to take down your sign because it says "honk if you hate CUPE", causes people to honk and it disturbs my sleep.
Old 11-04-2009 at 12:41 AM   #58
andrew22
Account Locked

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
Judging from your other posts, I have NO idea if this is sarcastic or not... o_o

If it isn't: -likes-
no sarcasm! 100% free. Just like Norway, Finland and Cuba. (Greenland is the best as they will pay for your university education at any university in NA or Europe) : )

Maegs, Taunton like this.
Old 11-04-2009 at 12:41 AM   #59
Scrub
Original "G"

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadpool View Post
Okay. I need you to take down your sign because it says "honk if you hate CUPE", causes people to honk and it disturbs my sleep.

hah that was taken down hours after we put it up...we realized what we were inducing..so yeah that was taken down...but the picketers had there own up

Phoenix says thanks to Scrub for this post.
Old 11-04-2009 at 12:44 AM   #60
Phoenix

Liked: 52 Times

lol thanks Scrub for taking the signs down...hope i gave you a better explanation!

andrew22 likes this.