MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Protest the McMaster Fridge Policy bcars MacInsiders Announcements 7 08-01-2010 05:42 PM
G20 Protest in Toronto goes out of hand Bobby66 MacInsiders Announcements 121 06-28-2010 09:31 AM
G20 Protest in Toronto follows Sunday Bobby66 General Discussion 6 06-28-2010 12:02 AM
ELM protest .. kind of Kathy2 Computers & Tech 39 01-22-2010 09:16 PM

Protesting the Protest!

Old 11-04-2009 at 10:30 AM   #91
JMerolli

Liked: 6 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
Yes, thanks to you and JMerolli for clarifying.

I knew there had to be a discreptancy when looking at the demographic of the TAs crossing the line versus the ones that were picketing. It's good to know.

Just as a side though, I think arts students are allowed to apply to OGS - but not things like NSERC and CIHR. However, I think there seems to be a bias towards research (30% of the selection criteria), which not many arts students receive in undergrad.

We have SSHRC and in some rare cases you can apply to CIHR.
Old 11-04-2009 at 10:51 AM   #92
Eugene

Quote:
Originally Posted by kleung View Post
Actually Eugene, my understanding is that in this last year, McMaster had a substantial structural deficit.

You are correct that at the end of the financial year, McMaster was in a surplus, but that was due to one-time funding from the Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities.

Basically, it's not sustainable, and it would be like expecting to win the lottery every year.

http://www.workingatmcmaster .ca/li...aight-1-42.pdf
Thank you KLeung. That definitely cleared some things up. I also have missed the open letter and appreciate the info.

Even with that said though, I am still under the impression that the administration was much more generous with themselves when it was time to deal with their take-home-pay than when it comes to the union. Parts of this I do not have any solid stats or data to base on, and I'm partly throwing this out there hoping someone with more info could chip in.
Old 11-04-2009 at 11:53 AM   #93
Eugene

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
Yea, fighting for livelihood.

I eat cereal twice a day if I'm REALLY hungry and feeling generous to myself.
You wanna talk about being poor? Wanna talk about fighting for livelihood?

Let's talk.
Cheri,

Another thing that just occurred to me. If you haven't explored this already,the school does have extra bursaries, "hardship funds", that I believe are handed out on a case-by-case considerations depending on the applicant's situation.

This might be an avenue to pursue if you haven't already.

Here's the link to the bursary program: http://sfas.mcmaster.ca/bursary/macbur.html
Old 11-04-2009 at 12:22 PM   #94
JeffB

Liked: 26 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by micadjems View Post
Thats BS about your rez signs, I would put them back up and cite free speech. (IMO as long as you're not being racist/sexist/swearing or being ridiculously harsh, it's fine!)
It something to do with it being a fire hazard. When I was in Rez our CA got in trouble for putting that spray on fake snow/frost stuff on the window to make it more chirstmasy that and our Christmas Tree with beer can ornaments had to be taken down.
Old 11-04-2009 at 12:24 PM   #95
jo87
Elite Member

Liked: 152 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew22 View Post
University should be 100% free for every Canadian citizen and permanent resident. (:
Im surprised you think this, considering you made a post about opting out of MSU fees:S You said you don't want to pay into the MSU because you don't use the services. But you want Canadian tax payers to pay for your education even though they won't get use out if this. I mean not all kids Want to go to university.

daisy, DannyV, Kathy2, Marlowe like this.
Old 11-04-2009 at 12:42 PM   #96
andrew22
Account Locked

Liked: 238 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jo87 View Post
Im surprised you think this, considering you made a post about opting out of MSU fees:S You said you don't want to pay into the MSU because you don't use the services. But you want Canadian tax payers to pay for your education even though they won't get use out if this. I mean not all kids Want to go to university.
haha i kno rite!, there are some slight differences tho maybe? i think?
Old 11-04-2009 at 01:12 PM   #97
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by micadjems View Post
reminder! This thread is about protesting the protest, not about arguing about who the university should fire.

On that note, I'm thinking about PMing the next time I want to go out, as people could easily take the info from here and organize something on the lines.. i dunno.

What do you think?
(I also have a lot of facebook friends to contact! Everyone seems to want to be on this side!)
Please PM me next time you plan on going out!
Old 11-04-2009
andrew22
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 11-05-2009 at 04:17 PM   #98
bryan_______

Liked: 1 Time

I've got some plans for a counter protest underway. anyone else who is planning something, please PM me and we'll sort out details to make the most impact. Should be able to get coverage by the Mac Daily News and the Silhouette as well.

Taunton likes this.
Old 11-05-2009 at 04:22 PM   #99
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

I thought people might be interested:

I recieved a text message today from a TA who is trying to get other striking TA's and other interested people to march down Sterling to protest the protests against the protest (say that five-times-fast).

An interesting quote from the text: "we'll show that the engineers have no brains".
Old 11-05-2009 at 04:28 PM   #100
talues

Liked: 21 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taunton View Post

I recieved a text message today from a TA who is trying to get other striking TA's and other interested people to march down Sterling to protest the protests against the protest (say that five-times-fast).

An interesting quote from the text: "we'll show that the engineers have no brains".
Protesting the protest to me just seems...redundant. And protesting the protest against the protest just adds to the redundancy.

Why not, instead of protesting the protest, protest for a resolution to the situation? Wouldn't that be in everyones best interest?

I would hope that each and everyone one of us is pro-settlement...
Old 11-05-2009 at 04:29 PM   #101
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:

I thought they were only allowed to protest at the designated locations?

And lmao, even if they do that... way to show THEIR level of maturity. Add another way to the list of "How not to get people to side with us."

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

DannyV, Taunton like this.
Old 11-05-2009 at 04:32 PM   #102
AYuen

Liked: 41 Times

Quote:

Boy, I'm sure that Derek and Eugene will appreciate that, given that they're both in Engineering Physics.
Old 11-05-2009 at 04:34 PM   #103
MacEng

Liked: 125 Times

Quote:

Welcome to last Tuesday

One of the students in my math class made an announcement this Tuesday looking for students to protest the protesters protesting the protest.

Taunton says thanks to MacEng for this post.
Old 11-05-2009 at 04:36 PM   #104
talues

Liked: 21 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacEng View Post
...protest the protesters protesting the protest.
Oh...dear...god.... *head explodes*

AnguishedEnd, Maegs, Taunton like this.