MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Protest the McMaster Fridge Policy bcars MacInsiders Announcements 7 08-01-2010 05:42 PM
G20 Protest in Toronto goes out of hand Bobby66 MacInsiders Announcements 121 06-28-2010 09:31 AM
G20 Protest in Toronto follows Sunday Bobby66 General Discussion 6 06-28-2010 12:02 AM
ELM protest .. kind of Kathy2 Computers & Tech 39 01-22-2010 09:16 PM

Protesting the Protest!

Old 11-03-2009 at 09:44 PM   #31
talues

Liked: 21 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyV View Post
That last line there, talues, you should distribute that to all CUPE members, especially those calling people scabs.
I personally was using the word "scab" previously as I lacked a better word to use. I have begun to refer to them as "people who have crossed the picket lines" or some derivative there-of.

As I've told some people who have decided to cross the lines: On a professional level I am extremely disappointed in them, as I believe that many of their reasons to cross are selfish. I am, however, refusing to let anybodies decision one way or another affect personal relationships. Although I do enjoy a good discussion over the matter .

hope13 likes this.
Old 11-03-2009 at 09:52 PM   #32
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

If we can't block pedestrian traffic, can we block real traffic? Like get in the way of cars (holding them for no more than five minutes, mind you) and try to give them information about how CUPE is not acting in way representative of the wishes of a majority of its members?

Because, if there's one thing I've learned throughout this ordeal, there is no better way to raise public opinion than by blocking traffic!
Old 11-03-2009 at 09:54 PM   #33
chelseab

Liked: 1 Time

why is it an issue to block pedestrian traffic but not an issue to block cars? just curious. that doesnt really make sense.
Old 11-03-2009 at 11:08 PM   #34
Scrub
Original "G"

Liked: 57 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by micadjems View Post
1. One of my profs told me today that if you hear their music being too loud to call campus security - they will deal with it

2. Thats BS about your rez signs, I would put them back up and cite free speech. (IMO as long as you're not being racist/sexist/swearing or being ridiculously harsh, it's fine!)

3. People know the strike is happening, and they're happy to see someone is retaliating (based on the reactions I got today)

4. I think you could still be a rep, even though you dislike the corporate monster side of things - you can promote the parts you like!! You're here for a reason
I tried the whole free speech thing..I was met with the words " I will write you up and you will receive a major or two for not complying with residence rules"...for now my signs are down(sadly)..however I am going to speak with a few other CA's and the Rez manager to get this sorted out..cause it hardly seems fair that they can play music...have signs that induce honking ("honk if you support CUPE")..and just blatantly obstruct my life and sleep patterns for their cause..it just seems very unfair..and I like the windows of my room open, but because of all the noise and air pollution CUPE is causing I am forced to keep my window closed and yeah it gets stuff inside here...my issues have nothing to do with the politics of the strike...just the crappy way they run logistics...if they want to strike sure they have the legal right to do so, however I have my own rights too..freedom of speech being the biggest one...it just seems weird that Ive been told to take down my signs...my roomate, lived with me in Keyes last year, and for a good portion of the year he had his room window covered with pop can bottles which he stacked into different shapes..nobody told him it was against rez decorating policy, never was he told to take that down...but the moment I put up a sign that shares MY opinion on the strike...CUPE complains..my CA's and rez manager see the sign..and ask me to take it down? that aint cool...and yeah CUPE if your reading this BEWARE...i WILL call the police tommorow if your music is blasting..and I WILL call the COPS if you cause unneccessary honking from cars....my right to put up signs will also be a topic of conversation tomorrow..NO NOISE AT FREAKIN 8AM!...and thats my rant...P.S. we should form a committy of students or a club, incharge of student led protests of the strike, especially protesting the impact on the environment from all the idling..just a thought (dibs on prez )

micadjems, Taunton like this.
Old 11-03-2009 at 11:18 PM   #35
FireDragoonX
Elite Member

Liked: 142 Times

was the sign in your room or out in the hall? if it was in your room it shouldn't be trouble (but I'm not a CA so I don't know lol)

Last edited by FireDragoonX : 11-03-2009 at 11:23 PM.
Old 11-03-2009 at 11:22 PM   #36
Scrub
Original "G"

Liked: 57 Times

they were in my room...and the suites common room(shared by all my roomates and I)..so nothing in like the floors common room..just my suite and room
Old 11-03-2009 at 11:33 PM   #37
sniderj
Elite Member

Liked: 177 Times

Scrub,

I would encourage you to take what your CA is telling you with a grain of salt. Under the Residence Code of Conduct, failure to comply with the Decorating/Aesthetics Policy is a MINOR (Minor L, to be specific), so they can't give you a major unless you are repeatedly written up for it.

From my recollection, the Decorating/Aesthetics Policy in terms of posters was mainly to ensure there wasn't too much fuel on the wall to help spread fires. There are specific rules about how big of an area can be covered by paper, and how much uncovered space must be around that area before you place more paper. I cannot find a copy of this policy anywhere on McMaster's website, so I would ask your CA for one. Ignorance of rules isn't an excuse... unless there's no reasonable way for you to access and read those rules.

Make sure you are following the letter of the Decorating/Aesthetics Policy, then throw those signs back up!

BlakeM, Phoenix all say thanks to sniderj for this post.
Old 11-03-2009 at 11:36 PM   #38
andrew22
Account Locked

Liked: 238 Times

im pretty sure because this is private property there is no freedom of speech? maybe?and even if there was we all signed that contract giving it up...
Old 11-03-2009 at 11:38 PM   #39
Rossclot

Liked: 137 Times

This isnt the first university strike I have sat through, and let me tell you, the students are the ones who suffer. Professors rearrange course material and marking schemes and students lose out. I have lost the ability to drop my worst lab in chem already, and in bio they had to increase the value of the final. Most would tell me to suck it up, and I have, but I can say right now my marks would be higher if the classes had run their course. If I get a shitty mark I want it to be on my own merit, not aided by a strike.

I just really hope the TAs get everything "they" all wanted out of this, I would be pissed if it accomplished nothing.
Old 11-03-2009 at 11:43 PM   #40
deadpool
X-Man

Liked: 394 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew22 View Post
im pretty sure because this is private property there is no freedom of speech? maybe?and even if there was we all signed that contract giving it up...
It's not quite private property. University gets public funding so it's still liable to follow the Charter.
Old 11-03-2009 at 11:43 PM   #41
sniderj
Elite Member

You can't sign away constitutional rights. Not to get into a big issue of constitutional law or anything... but you sure can't.

Taunton likes this.
Old 11-03-2009 at 11:45 PM   #42
PTGregD
Elite Member

Liked: 349 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniderj View Post
You can't sign away constitutional rights. Not to get into a big issue of constitutional law or anything... but you sure can't.
I was about to say this. Although it would definitely make some pretty epic loopholes.
Old 11-03-2009 at 11:47 PM   #43
sniderj
Elite Member

Agreed Gregory... perhaps we can find a way to exploit these delightful inconsistencies McMaster seems to have discovered...
Old 11-03-2009 at 11:47 PM   #44
temara.brown
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 352 Times

From what I remember from that esthetics policy, you can't have anything taped to the *inside* of your window... which means taping it to the outside is okay! haha.. I've taped stuff to the outside of rooms in keyes on a birthday room tp party because of that rule! hahaha

Check it to be sure!
Old 11-03-2009 at 11:47 PM   #45
andrew22
Account Locked

Liked: 238 Times

it is private enough that they can kick you off the property for any reason. and we did signsomethign didnt we?