MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
AC at Brandon Hall? thisisje First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 9 07-05-2010 11:44 PM
Brandon Hall Update Chad MacInsiders Announcements 3 12-23-2008 10:18 PM
Brandon Hall Updates - Oct 23 Chad Brandon Hall Fire Announcements 0 10-24-2008 12:29 AM
Brandon Hall '07 lorend Brandon Hall Forum 30 06-09-2008 10:30 PM

Student charged in Brandon Hall arson

Student charged in Brandon Hall arson

As reported by Jackson Hayes of The Hamilton Spectator, police have charged Emerson Pardoe of Scarborough with arson endangering life and arson to property. He is a 19-year old first-year student who lived in Brandon Hall.

Update from The Spec: "Accused Mac arsonist weeps as he gets bail"

Quote:
He was held overnight and released this afternoon on $50,000 bail and ordered to stay with his parents in Scarborough.
He must have no contact with any students or staff at McMaster. Pardoe appeared extremely upset during his hearing, weeping, pulling his brown hoodie over his head and holding his face in his hands as he rocked forward almost to his knees.
Excerpt from the Daily News:

Quote:
Additional counseling is available for Brandon residents through the Centre for Student Development [email protected] (ext. 24711). In addition, over the next few days Residence staff and Community Assistants (CAs) who are living with students at area hotels will continue to provide ongoing support and information.

McMaster is thankful that police were able to complete their investigation so quickly. Students were very helpful and co-operative in this regard and their assistance is greatly appreciated.

Now that an arrest has been made, we hope students will be able to fully refocus on their studies.

The University continues to do everything it can to expedite the restoration of Brandon Hall for occupancy as quickly as possible. Please continue to monitor the Daily News website for updates and information regarding the restoration. Any questions you may have can be sent to [email protected]
Support Fund Started

A Brandon Hall Fire Support Fund has been started and you can read more about it on Facebook. In connection with McMaster Alumni's "[email protected]" initiative, you can make a donation which will go directly to support Brandon Hall students.

Category: University's greatest needs > Sub Cat: University's greatest needs - General > Allocation: Brandon Hall Fund

Any Donation over $10 comes with a tax receipt.

notreetarded says thanks to Chad for this post.
Published by
MacInsiders Founder/Admin

Article Tools

Deleted Post
Old 11-04-2008 at 09:48 AM   #2
DannyV
Elite Member

Liked: 207 Times
Stupid stupid stupid.

Old 11-04-2008 at 11:49 AM   #3
sjager

Liked: 59 Times
There goes any chance of a future for that guy. I bet no University will ever accept him again, unless he pays A LOT of money.

Old 11-04-2008 at 11:53 AM   #4
adrian
Elite Member

Liked: 143 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjager View Post
There goes any chance of a future for that guy. I bet no University will ever accept him again, unless he pays A LOT of money.
Check out his facebook page...lol...he got dissed by so many people

Old 11-04-2008 at 12:03 PM   #5
RoyK
Zetsubou Sensei

Liked: 71 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjager View Post
Not even; no university or any other educational institution will probably accept him for that matter. Would you want an ex-arsonist on your campus, just because he paid you a lot of extra money? Just imagine if he had killed someone during the fire :/

Old 11-04-2008 at 12:18 PM   #6
Chris L

Liked: 0 Times
More news from The Spec: Link

Old 11-04-2008 at 12:19 PM   #7
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian View Post
Check out his facebook page...lol...he got dissed by so many people
Just a word of caution to everyone: DON'T go posting stuff on his wall...you can probably get in trouble for that as well.

I mean, yeah, the kid did something really stupid and dangerous...but he's been caught and being charged with two counts of arson. Let the authorities handle what happens from now on. Flaming him won't do anything to help the situation.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

McIntyre says thanks to lorend for this post.

Roshaan likes this.

Old 11-04-2008 at 12:25 PM   #8
adrian
Elite Member

Liked: 143 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorend View Post
Just a word of caution to everyone: DON'T go posting stuff on his wall...you can probably get in trouble for that as well.

I mean, yeah, the kid did something really stupid and dangerous...but he's been caught and being charged with two counts of arson. Let the authorities handle what happens from now on. Flaming him won't do anything to help the situation.
Quite right...was not promoting flaming this guy, but rather observing a strange phenomenon: he was quite the unremarkable individual till recently...he probably hasn't had time to go to a computer and to take his facebook page down since he did it an got caught.

Old 11-04-2008 at 12:39 PM   #9
wrangler

shoulda have put his facebook privacy settings higher
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fb.jpg (38.2 KB, 388 views)

Old 11-04-2008 at 01:00 PM   #10
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times
Seriously, am I the only person who would leave my child (if he/she were that dumb) and not pay 50k bail so that they can realize how stupid they are?

He could have killed someone - that's all there is to it. Put him in jail, that's where he deserves to be.

notreetarded says thanks to lawleypop for this post.

Old 11-04-2008 at 01:23 PM   #11
stevennevets

Liked: 36 Times
so i just looked at the criminal code of canada... check it out:

Quote:
Arson — disregard for human life

433. Every person who intentionally or recklessly causes damage by fire or explosion to property, whether or not that person owns the property, is guilty of an indictable offence and liable to imprisonment for life where

(a) the person knows that or is reckless with respect to whether the property is inhabited or occupied; or

(b) the fire or explosion causes bodily harm to another person.

R.S., 1985, c. C-46, s. 433; 1990, c. 15, s. 1.

Arson — damage to property

434. Every person who intentionally or recklessly causes damage by fire or explosion to property that is not wholly owned by that person is guilty of an indictable offence and liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding fourteen years.

R.S., 1985, c. C-46, s. 434; 1990, c. 15, s. 1.
I'm pretty sure he's being charged under those two offences... the first i forget if drunkeness is a defence (i'm assuming he was impaired) but for the second he's almost certainly guilty, if it was him. reckless is definitely him, but again only if drunkenness isn't a defence...

arson is a very serious crime...

Old 11-04-2008 at 01:48 PM   #12
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 23 Times
Hey guys,
I know you all probably realize this but I just want to stress this:

DO NOT threaten him, even though he deserves it and worse. Don't post on his facebook, don't send him emails, don't call. Let the law deal with it, he WILL get what he deserves.

DO NOT try to find him, if you do happen to run into him, (although he's not allowed on campus-suspension) walk away. I know that's a hard thing to do, but inflicting any violence on him is not going to solve anything, it will only make you feel good until you're charged with assault.

Be thankful to the Hamilton Police and McMaster Security Services who put in hours upon hours of man power to help the students and solve the case.

Old 11-04-2008 at 01:54 PM   #13
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevennevets View Post
so i just looked at the criminal code of canada... check it out:

I'm pretty sure he's being charged under those two offences... the first i forget if drunkeness is a defence (i'm assuming he was impaired) but for the second he's almost certainly guilty, if it was him. reckless is definitely him, but again only if drunkenness isn't a defence...

arson is a very serious crime...
I remember learning about this in grade 12 law (briefly) so someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Drunkeness can be used as a defense if it can be proven that you were so drunk that you lacked any sort of judgement and you lacked the mens rea. Being drunk to an extreme point is a defense if you can prove that you had absolutely no intention of doing it.
Of course, drunkeness can't be used as a defense if you caused pain to another person, in this case, he did.

And I don't believe he was drunk to this extreme....

So no, he can't use drunkenness as a defence.

Just a question... he's suspended.. but that means he's expelled, right? Nothing would baffle me more if he wasn't..

Old 11-04-2008 at 02:00 PM   #14
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 23 Times
I don't think they can officially expel him until he's been convicted, he's only been charged right now

Old 11-04-2008 at 02:00 PM   #15
sdfgiulahdfl

I would suggest any sort of speculation be identified as such - no one knows if he was or wasn't drunk..... (I'm not trying to defend this gent, but due process is there for a reason, so let's allow it to do it's job before we start making assumptions on things we have no clue about.)

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search