MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Electives Prabh Academics 2 06-18-2010 12:20 AM
Help with Electives precious Academics 6 12-25-2009 07:11 AM
what electives do i take? mehtad5 General Discussion 13 07-05-2009 02:31 PM
Electives help! jade177 Academics 8 11-30-2008 06:25 PM
electives jade177 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 06-25-2008 10:02 AM

Which electives did you want?

Old 07-09-2009 at 04:15 PM   #91
Melanieee
Cla$$y Lady

Liked: 103 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
I don't see why they wouldn't consider you over someone who has less experience than you. Chances are people with only a couple years of French will not complete the minor compared to someone who has given their time and effort for many many years. That's my way of thinking, the French department could think in a totally different way.
do you have to declare a minor?
how do minors work?
can you only have one?
is a minor like automatic if i take a class on the side for the whole 4 years?
Old 07-09-2009 at 04:19 PM   #92
myoozik

Liked: 42 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanieee View Post
do you have to declare a minor?
how do minors work?
can you only have one?
is a minor like automatic if i take a class on the side for the whole 4 years?

Minors usually require 24 credits. See the undergraduate calendar for specific courses that apply to each minor.

Often, only one minor is possible because you still have to complete your major degree at the same time. Some courses are eligible for overlap, but not all would be allowed to be used for your minor.

You declare your minor in 4th year before you graduate, you get this little card that you have to fill out and then the Registrar's Office determines whether or not you took all the required courses.

It's a good idea to see an Academic Counsellor some time before your third year to make sure that you are on the right track for both your major and minor, so you can make changes in 3rd and 4th year.

Melanieee says thanks to myoozik for this post.
Old 07-09-2009 at 04:24 PM   #93
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailsnake View Post
13th of July (When it opens for all remaining students) or 13th of August when it re-opens for students who paid their fees?

BTW Interesting post count
It opens both 13th of July and 13th of August.
13th of July to August 3rd, then August 13th onwards.

Although, there may be specific conditions for when it opens for you.

http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /getre...deadlines.html

EDIT: And you don't have to pay your fees by August 13th, however, if you don't CONFIRM your payment agreement by August 25th, your selections will be dropped.

Last edited by feonateresa : 07-09-2009 at 04:27 PM.
Old 07-09-2009 at 04:46 PM   #94
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailsnake View Post
13th of July (When it opens for all remaining students) or 13th of August when it re-opens for students who paid their fees?

BTW Interesting post count
Oops sorry for not including.. it's in August

Haha thanks. I have nothing better to do in the summer? :( Oh well
Old 07-09-2009 at 04:48 PM   #95
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

I had a question about minors as well. What if courses that are required. or are electives for your major, can they qualify to be a minor as well? For example. If I major in Biology with a minor in Biochem?
Old 07-09-2009 at 04:49 PM   #96
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Sara*~ View Post
I had a question about minors as well. What if courses that are required. or are electives for your major, can they qualify to be a minor as well? For example. If I major in Biology with a minor in Biochem?
I heard that first year courses don't matter. You should contact your academic adviser to make sure that you can complete a minor with courses that you need to take.
Old 07-09-2009 at 04:50 PM   #97
feonateresa
Elite Member

I think minors can only be made up of electives... but I could be wrong. If it's a required course for your major, it wouldn't be considered as part of your minor as far as I know.

I'll look into it.

EDIT:

"Minors

If you are enrolled in a four- or five-level program (with the exception of the Medical Radiation Sciences program which is a three-level program offered over a four-year period), you are eligible to obtain a Minor in another subject area, provided that the subject area is not integral to the requirements of your degree program. You should check the calender requirements statement for your program in the case of Science programs, or check with your Faculty in the case of other programs, for subject areas that are excluded from consideration as a Minor in your program."

Last edited by feonateresa : 07-09-2009 at 04:57 PM.

~*Sara*~ says thanks to feonateresa for this post.
Old 07-09-2009 at 04:58 PM   #98
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Ohh okay, that would actually make sense, I just thought it would be possible to take 2 minors or something.
First year courses don't matter? Really? It would eb so much harder to complete the 24 units that way =S.. Hmm, odd.
Old 07-09-2009 at 05:00 PM   #99
feonateresa
Elite Member

Hmm, it just says that you can't do more than 6 units of the 24 units required for a minor in Level I. So the other 18 units have to be Level II and higher. Oh, and apparently 24 units is a minimum, so feel free to do more if it's possible. :]
Old 07-09-2009 at 05:06 PM   #100
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Ohh okay, that would actually make sense, I just thought it would be possible to take 2 minors or something.
First year courses don't matter? Really? It would eb so much harder to complete the 24 units that way =S.. Hmm, odd.
I meant, if you have a required first year class it would probably still count as part of your minor. Otherwise everyone in science wouldn't be able to get a math minor.

~*Sara*~ says thanks to jhan523 for this post.
Old 07-09-2009 at 05:08 PM   #101
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

Quote:
It is possible to do two minors as long as you plan your courses right and have a lot of electives. Minors don't show up on your diploma, so it's up to you to determine whether it's worth it or not.
Old 07-09-2009 at 05:11 PM   #102
Melanieee
Cla$$y Lady

Liked: 103 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesus View Post
It is possible to do two minors as long as you plan your courses right and have a lot of electives. Minors don't show up on your diploma, so it's up to you to determine whether it's worth it or not.
So I guess its just a personal accomplishment? Looks good on resumes I would imagine.

But if I planned to get a minor in French, but for some reason one year it wouldnt fit into my schedule with my other plans... its not the end of the world that I didnt get the minor.
Old 07-09-2009 at 05:11 PM   #103
feonateresa
Elite Member

^ There's always summer school I guess! I might run into that same problem, sighh.
Old 07-09-2009 at 05:18 PM   #104
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

Quote:
Oops sorry for not including.. it's in August

Haha thanks. I have nothing better to do in the summer? :( Oh well
Well you'll love DC++ when the year starts, hundreds of Gigs worth of movies and shows and a conversation window where people chat when they have nothing better to do. I wasted far too much time with Movies and Shows first semester because of that.
Old 07-09-2009 at 05:18 PM   #105
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

I still don't understand why minors don't show on the diploma.. Would there be any solid proof that you DO have a minor in a specific topic?