MacInsiders Logo
Old 07-29-2010 at 06:26 AM   #1
SciMania
Elite Member
Program: Biology
Year: Fourth

Liked: 74 Times
Yoga Classes at Mac
I am interested in taking the beginners yoga class offered by the athletic center and I was wondering if anyone who has ever taken it could tell me about how they liked it.

Also I was wanting my boyfriend to sign up too but he's worried that there won't be any other guys there...whats the typical makeup of the class? Not that it really matters but it would be slightly awk.

Thanks!!
Old 07-29-2010 at 09:06 AM   #2
neila.b
Program: Arts & Science
Year: Third

Liked: 13 Times
It depends who the instructor is. I've only ever had Phil, and he's pretty great. He's really big on the whole breathing stuff, but the class is also pretty intense (at least for someone like me with zero flexibility).

His classes also tend to be quite diverse in terms of attendance. There are always a few guys there, ranging from football players (who look kind of uncomfortable to be there) to older men who have been doing it a while and are really good.

SciMania says thanks to neila.b for this post.
  Deleted Post Deleted Post
Add negative rating0Add positive rank
Old 07-29-2010 at 09:27 AM   #3
lizziemcg
Program: Honours Earth and Environmental Sciences

Liked: 7 Times
Hey there!

I took the beginner's yoga class last winter term and really enjoyed it. Have you ever done yoga before? You don't need any experience but I have a bit and it did help because I knew what to expect when the instructor named a pose. However, like I said, you need no experience. In fact, there were quite a few people in the class who'd never done yoga before.

The class introduces basic yoga poses. What I liked is that the instructor will show you a basic pose, allow the class to try it, and then show you a more advanced version of the pose to try if you are comfortable doing so. It's really work at your own pace with respect to your level of flexibility and familiarity with your own physical limits.

The class is also a great way to unwind once each week. The instructor had a calm voice and I found doing the poses kind of helped drain out the stress of school.

As for the gender composition of the class, it really was female dominant. There was probably one or two regulars who were guys, and every now and then a guy would somehow drop in for a class. It's a really relaxed environment, so the only way it would be awkward is if your boyfriend made himself feel awkward. I wouldn't worry about that part too much

SciMania says thanks to lizziemcg for this post.

Old 07-29-2010 at 06:40 PM   #4
Matt
Faculty: Arts & Science
Year: First

Liked: 0 Times
Hi there

I'm a guy who did take an intermediate yoga class during the winter term (I didn't really have any experience, but my friends were taking it and I was fairly flexible already).
I think its fantastic for draining all of the stress out and you feel really limber and relaxed. The intermediate class was very good, I found it a little challenging but I could keep up. The instructor did a pose and you copied her and she explained what to do as she did it.
Out of about 20ish there were a few regular guys (probably no more than 3-4) and a couple of guys I know signed up but didn't always make it there. But the guys that were there regularly were pretty built. Like lizzie said, if your boyfriend thinks he will find it awkward, he will and if he doesn't he wont because really people are just paying attention to there own pose and not anyone else in the room. But, its not for everyone, some people I know find it boring, others love it.
Drop in for a class and the instructor will probably not care if your boyfriend hasn't paid and he can sign up for next class if he likes it.
Cheers

SciMania says thanks to Matt for this post.
Old 07-30-2010 at 10:03 PM   #5
guest_295
Happy and Helpful
Program: Kinesiology
Year: Other
Residence: SOCS

Liked: 14 Times
How / when do you sign up.. I love yoga.. Ive only done a few begginers classes before
Old 07-30-2010 at 11:10 PM   #6
Sameen
Year: Second

Liked: 3 Times
I am also interested in joining a beginners yoga class.
How would you sign up for it and when?
Also, do you need a gym membership for it or is there a separate fee for the classes?

Thanks!
Old 07-31-2010 at 12:19 AM   #7
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff
Program: Honours Molecular Biology and Genetics
Year: Alumni
Residence: Edwards 08-09, SOCS 09-12

Liked: 604 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sameen View Post
I am also interested in joining a beginners yoga class.
How would you sign up for it and when?
Also, do you need a gym membership for it or is there a separate fee for the classes?

Thanks!
http://www.athrec.mcmaster.c a/instructional/index.htm
Click the links on the left, you can start registering for the fall schedule. I'm pretty sure it's part of the supplementary fees, I couldn't find anything that said otherwise.

Yay, a banner break...Thanks to our sponsors we're able to keep our server going!

Old 07-31-2010 at 11:20 PM   #8
Marlowe
Elite Member
Program: Nursing
Residence: SOCS!

Liked: 422 Times
I think to take a yoga class you need to have a pulse membership (the membership that lets you use the equipment). At least for the class I took, it was required. There may be others that let you pay a separate fee though.

It really wasn't that awkward being a guy there, especially since I went with friends. In fact, it was much more awkward telling people that I was going to a yoga class (sparking a whole conversation questioning my sexuality in another thread when I mentioned it here ).
Old 08-01-2010 at 01:11 PM   #9
Kareko
Program: Biology
Year: Fifth
Residence: SOCS

Liked: 8 Times
if you get a pulse membership than all the classes:
http://www-athrec.mcmaster.ca/fitnes...s-schedule.htm

and cycling classes
http://www-athrec.mcmaster.ca/fitnes...g-schedule.htm

are included (note that these are not the same as the school year- in fact they are out of date now but it gives you an idea). beginner and a more intermediate yoga are both offered as part of it.

the instructional classes(which
jhan523 already provided) are seperate, they mostly take place on 2nd floor next to the track instead of the gym and have correspondingly seperate fees and timelines.

and I would really recommend trying it out, yoga is a great class and if you go with the pulse one, phil is a really approachable guy that takes things nice and slow with appropriate increases in difficulty if you choose to take them.
Old 08-01-2010 at 03:46 PM   #10
Sameen
Year: Second

Liked: 3 Times
How much is the pulse membership fee?
Old 08-01-2010 at 04:26 PM   #11
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sameen View Post
How much is the pulse membership fee?
http://www.athrec.mcmaster.c a/registration/pulse.htm
Old 08-19-2010 at 04:37 PM   #12
C Lyn
Program: Music
Year: First
Residence: Hedden

Liked: 0 Times
Hey I'm interested in taking yoga too are the classes usually full? Should I look into it now or when I move in?
Old 08-19-2010 at 04:40 PM   #13
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by C Lyn View Post
Hey I'm interested in taking yoga too are the classes usually full? Should I look into it now or when I move in?
I don't think you can register yet. It still says 2010 Summer on the website...

Not a member of MacInsiders? Signup now and gain full access to our student community!
Ask questions, get informed, and get involved!
Closed Thread