MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Residence-Wide Formal 2009 ~*Sara*~ MacInsiders Announcements 49 11-08-2009 10:01 AM
Residence Move-In Dates and Times 2009 niteskie MacInsiders Announcements 42 08-23-2009 03:25 PM
Concerns about res? lorend Residence & Housing 135 06-29-2009 11:57 AM
Applications Now Open for Residence Life Staff 2009-2010 rosenas MacInsiders Announcements 16 12-19-2008 06:15 PM

Residence Concerns (2009)

Old 07-16-2009 at 03:39 PM   #166
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 624 Times

Yeah, I agree with Greg. It's a bit weird that you'd pick apartment style in Bates/Keyes over your own room&&washroom in Les Prince..
Old 07-16-2009 at 03:43 PM   #167
Phoenix

Liked: 52 Times

les prince is so far away from the buildings
Old 07-16-2009 at 03:47 PM   #168
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,656 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sew12 View Post
... Single rooms are reserved mostly for people who need special accommodations, first years who get an entrance average of 95% or over and upper years.
Really? One of my friends was in Keyes, and I think only one of his suite-mates had an entrance scholarship over 95%. The rest (including him) came in with high seventies and low 80s.
Old 07-16-2009 at 03:50 PM   #169
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
Really? One of my friends was in Keyes, and I think only one of his suite-mates had an entrance scholarship over 95%. The rest (including him) came in with high seventies and low 80s.
Generally people over 95% get into the suites because they are guaranteed a single. However, EVERYTHING is done by lottery. So most people that select Keyes with a 95% average will get in, but everyone else has an equal chance of getting Keyes.
Old 07-16-2009 at 03:51 PM   #170
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 473 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
Sorry I didn't mean the suite rooms in Keyes/Bates. There are some single rooms scattered about the traditional style residences that are reserved for those groups. The suites and apartments are a different thing.

Also the 95% is only a first year thing, if you're in first year you are guaranteed a single room in a residence. All other first years have room mates but if you have a high academic standing like that going into first year I guess you are given the extra privilege to have your own space.
Old 07-16-2009 at 07:25 PM   #171
ThatGuy

Liked: 36 Times

I just finished my first year and I somehow got a single room. I applied for all doubles and triples and had an average of 80.6%, I guess its the luck of the draw, the crappy lottery system they used it just messed up. I'm not complaining or anything I loved my single room, im just saying....
Old 07-16-2009 at 07:33 PM   #172
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuy View Post
I just finished my first year and I somehow got a single room. I applied for all doubles and triples and had an average of 80.6%, I guess its the luck of the draw, the crappy lottery system they used it just messed up. I'm not complaining or anything I loved my single room, im just saying....
I don't think the lottery system is crap. It's just probability. Everyone has a chance of getting a single, it's just really small. Congrats to you!
Old 07-16-2009 at 08:14 PM   #173
moops
Elite Member

Liked: 40 Times

I don't think the lottery system is crap either. From what I hear a lot of universities use the same system.
Also, I don't think being in a single room is all great. I'd rather have a roommate or two just to help with getting to know people. But for some its all they need - privacy.

Old 07-16-2009 at 09:34 PM   #174
PTGregD
Elite Member

Liked: 349 Times

For upper years, Residence allocation is done by GPA (for everyone on Dean's Honor List in order of highest GPA, 12, to lowest, 9.5). After that, it's lottery for any upper years who didn't attain DHL.
Old 07-16-2009 at 09:40 PM   #175
Alvin

Liked: 9 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTGregD View Post
For upper years, Residence allocation is done by GPA (for everyone on Dean's Honor List in order of highest GPA, 12, to lowest, 9.5).
Really? I had no idea this was the case...does it say that on the Housing website?
McMaster University
Old 07-16-2009 at 09:43 PM   #176
PTGregD
Elite Member

Liked: 349 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvin View Post
Really? I had no idea this was the case...does it say that on the Housing website?
Yeah, I was actually surprised when I read it because I was always under the impression that it was strictly lottery.

Taken from the FAQ:

"I'm a returning student and didn't get the room type I asked for. Why not?

The room was probably assigned to a student who was higher on the priority list for room assignments. Student staff and IRC Reps are assigned rooms first, then student on the Dean's Honour's List according to sessional average, and then students by lottery number."

Alvin says thanks to PTGregD for this post.
Old 07-16-2009 at 10:07 PM   #177
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTGregD View Post
For upper years, Residence allocation is done by GPA (for everyone on Dean's Honor List in order of highest GPA, 12, to lowest, 9.5). After that, it's lottery for any upper years who didn't attain DHL.
Ooh Thanks Greg! Another reason to try to do as well as possible XD
Old 07-16-2009 at 11:31 PM   #178
sew12
Elite Member

I thought it was just lottery for upper years too. I got a single room last year and didn't make the DHL with an 8.6.

That said there's obviously a lot less demand for residence among upper years and 20% of residence spaces are reserved for them. So it's probably not hard for upper years not on the DHL to get a single room.

I liked having a single room, it was nice to have my own space and I found it nice and spacious. Once you're in upper year you've already done the whole residence and meeting people thing in first year so having no roommate isn't really a big deal.
Old 07-17-2009 at 12:25 AM   #179
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by sew12 View Post
I thought it was just lottery for upper years too. I got a single room last year and didn't make the DHL with an 8.6.

That said there's obviously a lot less demand for residence among upper years and 20% of residence spaces are reserved for them. So it's probably not hard for upper years not on the DHL to get a single room.

I liked having a single room, it was nice to have my own space and I found it nice and spacious. Once you're in upper year you've already done the whole residence and meeting people thing in first year so having no roommate isn't really a big deal.
Did you choose single on your residence application, as one of your choices, or did you just end up with it ?
Old 07-17-2009 at 12:38 AM   #180
sew12
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Sara*~ View Post
Did you choose single on your residence application, as one of your choices, or did you just end up with it ?
I think I chose singles and doubles in every building.

~*Sara*~ says thanks to sew12 for this post.